Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lost transom plug

Jimmy Buffett

Yesterday was my first chance to take the bu out for a dewinterization ride to get all the kinks worked out before the season hits full swing. At least that's what I thought it would be...

I always remove the transom plug when the boat is stored and this time I just put it in the rear trunk since that's close to where the plug goes. Well, when I got to the boat ramp, I couldn't find it. Cry.gif It must have rolled around and fallen in the crack between the hull and the carpeted piece covering the gas tank. I spent the next 30 minutes taking the trunk apart and searching hi and lo but never found it. Mad.gif

Wal-Mart was 5 minutes away, but all they had was a 1" plug that doesn't fit the transom drain hole. So I headed to West Marine, but a wreck shut down the interstate and I decided it just wasn't my day. Took the boat home and finally made it to West Marine (non-interstate route) just before closing to buy a new plug.

So that the day isn't completely lost, I'm looking at it this way...the first lesson I learned is to check for the plug BEFORE leaving home. Stupid.gif Second lesson is I bought 2 plugs so I'll always have a spare. Finally, Home Depot sells the plugs for $1.50 less than West Marine - 1/2" pipe thread square head plug in brass - check the plumbing section, they're $2.50 each.

At least you didn't launch it! :)

Bummer of a day though...we keep a spare on board too for just that possibility. I almost lost a net from the swim platform bracket down by the gas tank and felt extremely fortunate to get it back out.

Hope the next trip goes smoothly!

No plug = no go any day.

Spare plug in the BU glove box = good plan = good day on the water.

Another spare plug in the truck = anal planning.

So go ahead, call me anal.

And that spare plug in the truck is right next to the spare keys for the boat (and trailer), right? :) Oh, and did I mention the spare truck keys in the boat?

As the prep before leaving the house, I put (or double check) all 3 plugs. It is part of the 'walk around' that goes with verifying the battery, fuel, tie-down straps etc..

Especially w/ kids, things get sorta crazy on the ramp, so I try and ensure the boat is a ready as it can be before I get to the water... works for me

As the prep before leaving the house, I put (or double check) all 3 plugs. It is part of the 'walk around' that goes with verifying the battery, fuel, tie-down straps etc..

I do the same. Nothing like finding out first hand how much water can come into your boat in short time when the plug is not installed. Surprised.gif

No plug = no go any day.

Anal!

None of you guys would support his request, so I had to. Biggrin.gif

I put my plug in the cup holder next to the glove box, I usually put it in before I leave the house.

2 weekends ago the plug was left out as my wife was docking the boat I noticed the bildge pump came on, then I noticed the plug in the cup holder. Man can water flow into the bildge quickly, I wish the bildge pump was in a better location because it will not empty the bildge, I used the the front fact sac bump to help empty some of the water out. Crazy.gif

No plug = no go any day.

Nope, won't do it.

And that practice (keeping a couple of spares) isn't "anal" either. It's smart!

Jeff

I put my plug in the cup holder next to the glove box, I usually put it in before I leave the house.

2 weekends ago the plug was left out as my wife was docking the boat I noticed the bildge pump came on, then I noticed the plug in the cup holder. Man can water flow into the bildge quickly, I wish the bildge pump was in a better location because it will not empty the bildge, I used the the front fact sac bump to help empty some of the water out. Crazy.gif

Which plug? In the ski locker? Heck, put the plug back in and remove the plastic plug at the anterior of the locker. Then, drive really fassssst for awhile! Crazy.gif

Jeff

I put my plugs there too.

Another "plug" worth getting a spare for (not quite as critical) is the gas cap.

The little chains that hold the gas cap (while you fill up with gas) can break. When that happens, guess where the chrome gas cap goes.... into the lake.... usually so deep you can't recover.

I picked up a VERY cheap PVC screw in plug/cap (same thread pitch) at a hardware store for about a buck or so. Not pretty, but if the chrome one goes swimming, I can at least continue on the water without fear of filling my tank with water.

Another "plug" worth getting a spare for (not quite as critical) is the gas cap.

The little chains that hold the gas cap (while you fill up with gas) can break. When that happens, guess where the chrome gas cap goes.... into the lake....

Yep, that's where mine headed. We were at Englebright, I slipped out of the tent to prep the boat for "Dawn Patrol". Unthreaded the cap, jockied the gas can around and started the transfer of fuel. Gas can slipped in my grip just a little, hit the cap, and I heard a little "plunk". Shocking.gif Looked over the side just as the cap was starting it's "flutter" towards a watery grave. Cry.gif I reached, nothing. Reached further, touched it with just the tips of my fingers but couldn't get it. Figured I had about a split second to make my final attempt so I s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d and got it with my finger tips. Yes!! Unfortunately right at the moment I exceeded the friction quotient of my trunks and I broke the early morning silence with "Oh feces" and a loud splash, but at least I had my cap. Crazy.gif

Good vocabulary words make for great family fun too. Every time my kids asked "what does that word mean or how do you spell it" I thought I was being a good dad by telling them to "look it up". However, I was taught a different technique based on: "Go get the dictionary and we can look it up together." Totally different response from the kids ever since. Try it, you'll be surprised.