Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Shower Problems

borris

I have a 2016 23 LSV delivered this spring.  I went ahead and ordered the factory hot water shower with the hopes of extending the season a few weeks on each end of the summer.  I ordered from the factory with the hopes of getting an installation that would work well and have a warranty, vs having the dealer install it.  I have been very disappointed so far with the shower.  Obviously the location is not ideal on the side of the boat, vs the rear.   The hose does reach the swim platform with some effort.  The worst part is the temperature.  The mixing valve on full hot is lukewarm, and if you rotate the mixing valve to cold, the flow stops completely.  I discussed with the dealer at the 10 hour service and the problem per Malibu is the closed cooling system on the Raptor motor.   The water that flows through the engine is not the typical 160 degrees you would expect of a raw water cooled engine.  The hot water take off is from around the V drive, and the cold water intake is on the starboard ballast intake.  

Does anybody have any experience with a shower on this motor?  Any idea where to get warmer water on the Raptor motor, and any reason why the water wouldn't flow on the cold water side??

Do I have any recourse with Malibu for a hot water shower that is really not "hot".  I would rather have them remove the shower then have to maintain and winterize a system that I am never going to use. 

Thanks for any advice.  

the mixer valve has screens at each of the hose inlets.

i suspect you have a blocked cold inlet.

pull that valve body apart and clean the screens out.  

i put brass garden hose connectors at easily accessible locations then added screens to the garden hose connectors.

cleaning the crud out is much easier than pulling the mixer valve.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Any update on the shower not being hot? I am in the process of ordering my 2017 and was thinking about adding the shower option but if it is only warm I think I will pass. 

Thanks. 

On 5/24/2016 at 0:26 AM, AussieSkier said:

I just ordered a new VTX with a shower. Can you forward any pics so I know not what to get....

I had my dealer mount it in the rear bins that really have no use, at least for us. The only thing, have them mount it just south of where it is now, there is more clearance for the hoses! Not sure if the VTX has the same design, I also added a drain hole for excess water to drain in the bilge! IMG_6125%20-%20Copy_zps6zo4dwvm.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 1

I did fix my lack of flow when the mixing valve turns to cold- it was just a kinked hose.  I am still not pleased with the water temp coming out of the shower as the lake temperature drops.  This appears to be an issue with all closed cooling engines.  The heater works better, but the shower works worse.  If you are going to get the shower I would definitely have it added like on the picture above, so you don't have an awkwardly placed hole in your boat like I have, and would be much easier to uninstall if you change your mind.  

• Like 1
On 1/8/2017 at 4:57 PM, Wakesetter67 said:

I had my dealer mount it in the rear bins that really have no use, at least for us. The only thing, have them mount it just south of where it is now, there is more clearance for the hoses! Not sure if the VTX has the same design, I also added a drain hole for excess water to drain in the bilge! IMG_6125%20-%20Copy_zps6zo4dwvm.jpg

Wakesetter67, do you know what model shower your dealer installed? Is that a switch to the right for an electric pump? I like the install location, looks convenient to access.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dpbremer said:

Wakesetter67, do you know what model shower your dealer installed? Is that a switch to the right for an electric pump? I like the install location, looks convenient to access.

My Wife actually bought it from Bakes Marine, I think it is the Heater craft kit, Look on their website, and yes thats a switch, Here is the link, You may need to call them, I dont see the Kit which has everything you need, http://www.bakesonline.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=509&page=3

Edited by Wakesetter67
On 1/9/2017 at 10:42 PM, dpbremer said:

they stopped making the single lever style mixer and you cant find it anywhere. seems a lot easier than the dual mixer: i wish i could get one!

the single mixer valve i've seen on some other boating shower mixers looks the same but not sure on the connectors etc.. 

i'm having my dealer install the shower option on my 2016 as well in rear tubs i'll update on the heat issue, i asked the dealer and they said Mailibu said it works, i've heard about it not getting has hot with the 2016 engines but i'm hopping the ice will melt and i can find out! few months yet...depressing.. 

Edited by The Hulk