Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Ramp Heroes

RedOwl

A friend's son and his buddy helped a similar couple at a very busy Minneapolis area ramp one Sat. evening.  Next thing, someone else asked them to load their boat, and another, and another.  They made some very good tips that day - and several other days that summer.  Sheriff was watching and noticed how the loading flow was going well and let them continue.  He told them they could take tips but not "charge a fee."  It probably helped their "business" that the Sheriff hangs out at the ramp and watches for how people handle their rigs and boats - looking for BWI and DWI.

Just now, minnmarker said:

A friend's son and his buddy helped a similar couple at a very busy Minneapolis area ramp one Sat. evening.  Next thing, someone else asked them to load their boat, and another, and another.  They made some very good tips that day - and several other days that summer.  Sheriff was watching and noticed how the loading flow was going well and let them continue.  He told them they could take tips but not "charge a fee."  It probably helped their "business" that the Sheriff hangs out at the ramp and watches for how people handle their rigs and boats - looking for BWI and DWI.

Curious, what ramp is that?  We use the 3 rivers ramp in Minnetrista and I've often though that they need a cop just sitting down there.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Curious, what ramp is that?  We use the 3 rivers ramp in Minnetrista and I've often though that they need a cop just sitting down there.

I wasn't there - just heard it from my friend but I think they use the Maxwell Bay launch.

2 hours ago, RedOwl said:

WARNING - long story *cliff notes available at the bottom*

My extended family & I were out on their pontoon boat the other day and witnessed something that made me realize how I wrongly judged a book by its cover. 

We were on the water for the afternoon and had several occasions to see a shiny-new wakeboard boat zoom past us with four 'bros' laughing and seemingly oblivious to the world around them. The four of them appeared to be in their mid-20's and looked like they bought their outfits by closing their eyes and picking random items from a wakeboating magazine and the latest Urban Outfitters catalog. Their brims were flat, their music was loud and obscenity-laced (curse words as my mother in law kept saying) and I assumed they'd all consumed more than their fair share of bagged milk for the day. (These guys also used the words Bro and Bra profusely - which explains their following nicknames)

Fast forward to the end of the day. We are down the shore a bit just relaxing and enjoying the last hours of sunlight and I see the 'bros' are next in line at the boat ramp. In front of them is a shiny new f-150 (true story) and its owner trying to get his trailer in the water to collect his run-about, which is being captained by his wife. She is accompanied by a 7'ish y.o. and a golden retriever. This guy is really struggling - it takes him 9 or 10 attempts to get his trailer straight enough to retrieve the boat. Now it is his wife's turn to get the boat on the trailer - and she struggles more than him... She keeps getting crooked, zooming backwards and gunning it forward without a good line. She keeps trying and trying and you can see her frustration building and embarrassment growing. The guy is not yelling or swearing, but he has a look on his face that says "I couldn't help myself, how can I help you?" They both throw their hands up in the air and seem lost with indecision.

Somewhere along the line, she must have killed the engine because the boat is now without power and drifting towards the rip-rapped shoreline that hems in the launch. She screams and he is yelling "start the motor!" "Back Up". None of these things are happening. By now a small crowd has gathered and my brother-in-law and I are headed towards the ramp to help, but we end up being late to the party. 

Before you know it, Bro 1 (B1) jumps out of the shiny-new boat into chest-deep water wearing sweatpants and a hoodie. He grabs the run-about and starts walking it towards the dock. The shiny-new boat nudges its bow to the dock and Bro 2 (B2) jumps out to help grab the rope. When he does this, the golden retriever jumps out of the boat and runs down the dock and into the parking lot. B1 holds the boat and B2 heads off whistling for the dog. B2 collars the dog and walks him over to the truck and loads him into the backseat with the help of the owner. B1 is now making small-talk with the captain and she appears to be calming quickly. Her son gets off and stands on the dock.  B1 starts walking the boat on to the trailer and helps get the winch secured. While all of this is happening, Bro 3 has stepped off their boat and is talking to the boy. Next thing you know they are over by shiny-new boat, showing him the racks and different boards - he even pulls a surf board off the rack and lets the boy stand on it while on the dock. The boy has a huge grin on his face, the truck driver looks relieved and the captain looks relaxed. The boat gets loaded and they're on their way.

The most impressive part of the whole thing is the calm-confidence the Bros did it with. They were all smiles the whole time. They didn't rush or panic - they just jumped in and helped with very few words spoken. The run-about family ended their day with smiles on their faces and I am sure that little boy will be begging his parents for a surfboard someday soon.

CLIFF NOTES: I pre-judged a boat full of flat-brim boaters and they proved my assumptions wrong by being the heroes of the hour. I may not like their music and clearly don't have the hips or hairline for their wardrobe, but they turned out to be great representatives of the boating community and I'm ashamed that I pre-judged them.

So to the guys in the MC: I apologize for jumping to conclusions - you are clearly great guys who take your boating seriously when it counts. If I see you on the water again the next bag of milk is on me.

This offers a little faith in humanity!

We live very close to the ramp on our lake.  A few years ago, a family purchased the home next to ours as a summer home (they live 20 minutes away oddly).  They are very nice people, but the dude (father / husband) is completely clueless......about most things other than personal injury law.  He's kind of a stereotypical nerdy dude.

Anyway, the guy buys a seadoo speedster jet boat thing that he tows with a 14 year old acura with 300,000 miles.  We're watching him retrieve the boat the first season he had it.  It was comical to say the least.  He couldn't get the trailer backed down the ramp to save his life.  I told my wife I was going to go help him and she said no, don't embarrass him.  After another 20 minutes or so, she said to go help.  So I did and he was very grateful.

Fast forward to the next spring and the family and I are on the deck eating dinner and here comes goof ball getting ready to dump his boat in.  Again, he's having serious trouble backing down the ramp.  So I ask my wife again if I should help and she said no...he'll figure it.  So what he did next just killed me.  He unhooked the trailer from the car and walked the boat down the ramp.  He then backed up the car, hooked up the trailer and backed it in.  However.......I forgot to latch the trailer to the ball.  Now the boat is floating away with the trailer attached.  Again, I ask if I can help and the wife agrees.  I ran over to the ramp because the boat was floating away.  He could do squat...the water was in the low 40's, and I just jumped in an pulled the thing back to shore.  Again, he was super grateful.....

I think when you help someone in need, it always comes back to you.  So I try to do so whenever I can.

That said, we do get great enjoyment watching people launch and retrieve boats.  It's simple enjoyment, but enjoyment nonetheless.  

Really cool story...thanks for sharing that.  Now did anyone else out there misread the title leaving off the es on Hero?  I thought for sure when I clicked there was gonna be a story involving shirts being removed, Sperrys, (bags of milk,  which we did get :) ) and some guy named Afun??

• Like 2

People should always offer to help people that are trying and having issues. I've backed many trailers down boat ramps for both guys and gals. I've also swam out to drive a brand new Supra on the trailer for a lady that was having issues. It's a one lane ramp and the line was getting long with lots of people on the land watching her. 

Agree  Good Boat Etiquette to help those in need.   Towed my share of broken boats back to the dock, plus help those with launch and retrieval challenges.  Glad to hear others do the same.  Like the boating life!  

Since we are on the topic of helping people, I always carry a portable battery pack.  It allows me to jump someone without having to pull up next to them with jumper cables that always seem to be 4 inches too short while our boats are clanking together.  It has been a way that I often find someone to help.   Best $69 charity item I have purchased.  So far, I actually haven't needed it for myself.  

Thanks for sharing, RedOwl!  

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 3

*Follow-up*

I ran into the woman/captain this weekend and I mentioned what I witnessed. She confirmed that she and her husband were new to all of this and equally disoriented and nervous. She also mentioned that her son desperately wants to try surfing, but it will take a completely different boat. I mentioned to her that Malibu and Axis are a good place to start and gave her the address for TMC.

Maybe they'll join the ranks some day...

Sounds like good old midwest hospitality to me! All kids try to look hard, but i bet those kids were raised shoveling snow and mowing lawns.

• Like 2
On May 20, 2016 at 0:34 PM, inlandlaker said:

This offers a little faith in humanity!

We live very close to the ramp on our lake.  A few years ago, a family purchased the home next to ours as a summer home (they live 20 minutes away oddly).  They are very nice people, but the dude (father / husband) is completely clueless......about most things other than personal injury law.  He's kind of a stereotypical nerdy dude.

Anyway, the guy buys a seadoo speedster jet boat thing that he tows with a 14 year old acura with 300,000 miles.  We're watching him retrieve the boat the first season he had it.  It was comical to say the least.  He couldn't get the trailer backed down the ramp to save his life.  I told my wife I was going to go help him and she said no, don't embarrass him.  After another 20 minutes or so, she said to go help.  So I did and he was very grateful.

Fast forward to the next spring and the family and I are on the deck eating dinner and here comes goof ball getting ready to dump his boat in.  Again, he's having serious trouble backing down the ramp.  So I ask my wife again if I should help and she said no...he'll figure it.  So what he did next just killed me.  He unhooked the trailer from the car and walked the boat down the ramp.  He then backed up the car, hooked up the trailer and backed it in.  However.......I forgot to latch the trailer to the ball.  Now the boat is floating away with the trailer attached.  Again, I ask if I can help and the wife agrees.  I ran over to the ramp because the boat was floating away.  He could do squat...the water was in the low 40's, and I just jumped in an pulled the thing back to shore.  Again, he was super grateful.....

I think when you help someone in need, it always comes back to you.  So I try to do so whenever I can.

That said, we do get great enjoyment watching people launch and retrieve boats.  It's simple enjoyment, but enjoyment nonetheless.  

I'm sorry inland, but all I got out of your story was that a personal injury lawyer was driving a beater Acura?  What is this world coming to?

• Like 2
Just now, Bozboat said:

I'm sorry inland, but all I got out of your story was that a personal injury lawyer was driving a beater Acura?  What is this world coming to?

59032623.jpg