Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick ballast fix

jbower

Question.i am picking up a new to me 99vlx this afternoon. Boat has bags on each side of engine with 1 aerator to fill both and 2 drain pumps. Going to add an extra fill pumped teed off of the single intake. But it also has the locker sack that is not plumbed. I have a jabsco ballast puppy ls it possible for me to run off of one of the t handle hull drains to feed that pump? And also will it drain threw that fitting with the pressure of it being under the boat?  I will eventually vent/over flow that to an integrated bow sac and vent that bag

Congrats on the new boat!

When you add the aerator make sure there's a check valve on that leg - and on the other side if there's not one there now.

Yes, you can use the T handle hole for a fitting and run the water in and out through it.  The minimal head pressure will have little effect on the impeller pump.  Put a ball valve on the fitting just in case...

"Eventually" vent the locker bag too.  I thought of doing basically the same thing and was advised against it - and am glad I did not.

T-fitting is fine.  Make sure to install a ball valve.  I recommend dedicated fittings for each pump.

Make sure to vent all bags.  It's not that hard or expensive to do.  Do it right the first time and never have to mess with it again.

20 minutes ago, jbower said:

What where you advised about not doing?

See the diagram in the post.  I was advised to not vent the ski locker bag through the bow bag.

On May 18, 2016 at 0:36 PM, minnmarker said:

Congrats on the new boat!

When you add the aerator make sure there's a check valve on that leg - and on the other side if there's not one there now.

Yes, you can use the T handle hole for a fitting and run the water in and out through it.  The minimal head pressure will have little effect on the impeller pump.  Put a ball valve on the fitting just in case...

"Eventually" vent the locker bag too.  I thought of doing basically the same thing and was advised against it - and am glad I did not.

So I get what the post is saying about using a y fitting on the 2 bags but what about having my impeller pump directly and souly on the ski locker bag then the other fitting on top that you would use for a vent run that to the bow bag and vent the bow bag like you normally would. Essentially over flowing locker bag to fill bow bag? I don't see why it wouldn't work besides gravity of the uphill travel up to the bow bag. I have a pump I can throw over the side for the bow bag just thought this option would work fine

You'll build too much pressure in the ski locker bag.  It'll push the hatch open before the bow bag even begins to fill.  Also will not have the option to fill the bow bag independent of the locker bag. You really can't use the locker bag as a pipe line to the bow bag. Put in a Y valve and a vent from the locker.  Not really a big deal.

Edited by minnmarker