Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homemade delta wakeshaper

prion

Great idea, but you may need to lessen the angle... Appears to be too close to 90 degree. Surf gate comes off about 45 to 50 degrees when fully deployed. By lessening the angle it will also allow some pressure to be relieved from front to back on the cups and provide more side load pressure, making it easier for them to hold in place. Good luck with it and post your outcome!

• Like 2

Here is the one that I built and did a test run with last weekend.  Look up thread "aftermarket surfgate".

echo gate 1.JPG

echo gate 2.JPG

Just need to tame the excess spray.

573c81f85bf60_wave3.JPG.6f62ec2e104024c9

573c81fb25b6d_wave2.JPG.b5bd6f9c67dc2234

• Like 2

What suction cups are you guys getting?  Was looking on Amazon and quite a few different options and seems like a lot of stress for the plastic handle ones.  I'm going to give this a try as it looks a lot simpler than screwing with another fake gate for goofy side.

I searched on Amazon and ordered the only black one I saw available(to match the boat). It was the FastCap HOD-DOUBLE Handle On Demand. Honestly it's much stronger than I expected and once we added all the HDPE it's even stronger. I have no concerns with the integrity. 

32 minutes ago, footndale said:

Maybe you guys do, but a safety strap to the device and boat probably would be beneficial.

Might pass this idea on to friend to try.

My testing one is wood and floats well.  After I settle on a design I'll add some sort of flotation to find it if it comes loose.  I would rather it fall off and away from the boat instead of letting it beat the back of the boat while tethered to it some how.  

Edited by blk93jeepzj
spelling
  • Like 1

I believe delta has a lanyard that is run to the back of the boat.  Hopefully that would mean that in the event of a release it would simply drag behind the boat rather than beat on the gel.

12 minutes ago, onwi said:

I believe delta has a lanyard that is run to the back of the boat.  Hopefully that would mean that in the event of a release it would simply drag behind the boat rather than beat on the gel.

It appears to be some sort of a bungee cord

More like a coiled plastic wrapped cable than a bungie - I'm sure they wouldn't put something on there that would store some energy like a bungie.

3 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Think I'll just make sure mine floats and pick it up with the downed rider when it falls off.

Make blaze orange so you can see it.:)

11 hours ago, prion said:

So a friend and I attempted to make a delta wake shaper out of a glass suction cup handle and HDPE. I'm all in for about $30. I don't think it turned out to bad. I hope to test it out this weekend. Let me know what you all think. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Definitely interested in this. I ordered a delta and am waiting for shipment.

11 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Here is the one that I built and did a test run with last weekend.  Look up thread "aftermarket surfgate".

echo gate 1.JPG

echo gate 2.JPG

Just need to tame the excess spray.

573c81f85bf60_wave3.JPG.6f62ec2e104024c9

573c81fb25b6d_wave2.JPG.b5bd6f9c67dc2234

Was the spray due to the wrong angle? Too big a paddle? Too high/low on the hull?

10 hours ago, braindamage said:

Definitely interested in this. I ordered a delta and am waiting for shipment.

Was the spray due to the wrong angle? Too big a paddle? Too high/low on the hull?

Think most of the spray was d/t the placement on the hull, ie to much out of the water.  In the picture below (same as my hull, not my boat) there is a slight curve to the white gel, so I attached it to where the gel is blue as far back as I could on the hull.  I had enough weight in the boat if I could move it a bit forward, I believe that there is less curve.  We shall see this weekend.  

04bu.JPG.9c0920a560293a8a0e62674fc5de365

Chatty21, we guessed on the paddle dimensions. We did ours at 6x10 tapering to 5 inches at the top. I'm not sure on the angle of the paddle either. After I test it, if it works, I'll measure the angle. if not we will re-asses. 

• Like 1

Kordtsy, we took the suction cups off the bases and then put 2 screws through each base and 2 long screws through the middle under the handle to wedge it together. 

BLK, where did you see the dimensions on the delta website?

I made my second gen version last night and it worked awesome for our 04' LSV.

6.5"x9" panel (I think I want to go up to an 8x10") .... used the HoD from Amazon.  Attached two gusset HDPE pieces to the cups via two long bolts that ran through the HDPE and handle from the HoD.  Main blade of the suckgate was attached with screws.

I just did a quick test with it but on the LSV with only ~1250 lbs of ballast (1000 rear, 250 front), and the wedge down, the wave was better than ANY listed setup I've ever had.

• Like 1