Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Have you replaced your motor?

cmurph

Curious as to how many out here have ever been through the process to replace a motor?  If so would like to take a quick poll if your willing to share.. 

1) How many hours on the engine prior to failure?

2) Make, Model, Year?  (either Boat or Motor)

3) Cause of failure or best guess?

4) What engine did you move to?

5) Cost of Replacement?

Curious if anyone ever purchased a used boat only to find out the engine had issues..or better said you got stuck replacing the engine.  

1) How long after you purchased used boat did the engine crap out on you?  

2) If you had to purchase said used boat would you do it again or better asked what lessons learned?  

Appreciate the feed back in advance!

You will get mixed answers on this but most agree that a well maintained engine should go 1500+ hours.  Will this still be the case with the way people weight their boat nowadays...only time will tell.  I sold my last boat 2004 with almost 800 hours and I know the new owner has put at least another 100 since the purchase.  I have family that regularly sell their inboards with 1200+ hours with minimal repairs.  Most failures are due to bad/lack of winterization.

1)  300

2)  2004 23LSV Wakesetter, 340 Monsoon

3)  Improper Winterization, block was cracked when I bought it.  Yes I did know this going into it as well.

4)  Same engine.

5)  Approx $3000 for a long block and shipping.  Additional $$ for additional parts and pieces here and there; belts, gaskets, hoses, ect.  

Not sure what the cost of beer to keep the helpers happy was?   

Every boat I've ever owned, except my wakesetter,

all were bought with engine problems, knew it going in

250-400hrs

2300-10k for rebuild, all installs myself.

on a side note my Malibu is the only boat ive paid more then 2500 for and its not had any problems.

1)640

2)'94 Echelon Lx w/ Mercruiser 265hp

3)Impeller failure, overheat, head gasket failure, led to cylinder detonation

4)Custom 388 stroker w/ 383hp

5)priceless (I'd rather not disclose - a member on this site helped me out)

I have been on this site since I bought the boat in '08, and I cannot recall anyone throwing a rod, or some other massive failure.  They all seem to be heat or cold related (impeller failure or winter freeze).

2 hours ago, wedge88 said:

You will get mixed answers on this but most agree that a well maintained engine should go 1500+ hours.  Will this still be the case with the way people weight their boat nowadays...only time will tell.  I sold my last boat 2004 with almost 800 hours and I know the new owner has put at least another 100 since the purchase.  I have family that regularly sell their inboards with 1200+ hours with minimal repairs.  Most failures are due to bad/lack of winterization.

Last one I sold had 1200+ hours before a replacement computron reset the hour meter. And another 400+ after that. Ran like a top and as far as I know it still does.

The vast number of engine failures are freeze related.  I do not remember the last time I heard of a boat engine failing outside of that.

Not a ski boat, but a houseboat I was part owner on had twin 5.0 Mercs.  The engines had 3500 hours on them when the boat sank.  Prior to sinking, they compression checked fine.  The new owner of the boat actually salvaged them, and to my knowledge is still running them.

I bought a boat once knowing the engine was toast, it had frozen. So longevity didn't play in. I replaced it with a GM ZZR4 short block from GM performance. Ran it for 9 years, cost me around $2500 total, but did the labor myself.

@cmurph:  Wear out type engine rebuild/replacement assuming engine was properly fed fuel/oil/water and cooling system was kept reasonably clean will clear 2,500 hours under reasonable run schedule.  As noted, typical failure modes are due to improper winterization or some level of human error.  Your question on what type of engine will depend on what activities you are interested in and what duty cycle you are after.  Skiing/barefooting will favor a much different package than surfing/wakeboarding/tubing as an example.  More information on what you are looking for would be needed to give you a proper suggestion.  Personally, I would welcome and actually look for a boat with a broken or non functional engine, as a gearhead and capable engine builder, I am lucky enough to avoid the labor portion of a swap or build so my cost assessment is different from someone that needs to find a build source.

Its very hard to get all suggestions and advice on the money. Many things can be so related to an individuals ability. In some even your location could make info off the mark.  In this case I might even go another 1,000 hours 3,000 / 3500.  I have yet to brake any engine component on any of my boats. 

Very wide ranging topic, I agree 100% with Woodski, and will add generally speaking RPM is what kills engines, if they aren't built for them.  Hence Skiing and Barefooting being harder on engines then Surfing.  I bought my Skier with over 1400 hours on it, had the 351 Windson in it, the motor ran, but had an issue with water in the oil, I have yet to diagnose it, but as mentioned most likely due to human error.

1) 1400 +

2) 1984 Malibu Skier

3) Human Error is my guess

4) LSx

5) I haven't added it up yet

Would I buy a boat with a known bad engine? 100%, and I'd prefer it that way.  As mentioned above, gives you the opportunity to build and spec an engine towards what you are looking to achieve, and it will most certainly be better then stock.  

I too am interested in this topic.  Over 2600 hours on my original engine and I am sure that re-power is in my near future.  Not sure what the cost will be but it will have more ponies than the 275 the GM350 came with from the factory.

1.  Don't know, no hour meter
2.  Sea Ray 160, 1989
3.  Oil pump failed
4.  Same motor, but a 2004 crate motor, 3.0L Mercrusier. Old one would have cost more to rebuild than the brand new crate motor
5.  $2500 all in, blew in 2002, fixed early 2005

1.  A little under 2 seasons.
2.  I would do it over. Boat held its value very well over the 11 years of use and running the hell out of it.

I replaced the motor (5.7 Competition Ski) in my '88 Skier at a little over 700 hours. Impeller failure, didn't catch the overheat fast enough, lost compression on the back two cylinders due to cylinder wall scoring. Had it replaced with an identical 5.7 long block....if memory serves correctly, I think it ran me right at $2500.