Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Binding Suggestion

onwi

I am looking to purchase a new pair of close toe wakeboard bindings.  I know nobody will be able to tell me which boot to buy.  I'd just like to hear what boots people like and why.  I ride a Ronix board but have no particular brand demands.  

Also, I currently use a 2013 CWB JT boot.  I think these are quite comfortable.  I am curious though, if they are too soft.  I think that when I try them on the flexibility is nice, but I wonder if I am losing some riding aspect as most all other boots are quite a bit more stiff.  If anyone knowledgeable can chime in on the stiff/flex discussion I'd appreciate the info.  Am I losing any performance with a soft boot and is it worth it to work in a pair of stiff boots?  FYI, I have terrible outer stability in my ankles.  But, I have never been in a situation where I thought I would sprain/break and ankle while in a wakeboard boot.

I've also included a random semi-cool picture since the pics get the clicks.

tR1WLhl.jpg

TIA

I'm a big fan of the Ronix bindings and currently have the Frank. The Frank and the Parks are more flexible than the One which is very stiff. I like a more flexible boot for grabs and pokes.

I like Ronix bindings. My favorite is the Parks as I like the flex in it. I also ride the One but its a lot stiffer.

I think since I like the fit and comfort of the Parks I ride better....psychological from feeling confident.

Edited by MystiikVLX

I also have the CWB JT, and they are the best thing since sliced bread. They have the perfect amount of flex for me. Have you played around with the inserts at all?

42 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

I also have the CWB JT, and they are the best thing since sliced bread. They have the perfect amount of flex for me. Have you played around with the inserts at all?

No .  I really have no idea where those would go, or loose space where I'd shove them.  Please explain?  I do like the boots also and am thinking about simply replacing with a new pair as mine are beginning to pull apart.

1 hour ago, onwi said:

No .  I really have no idea where those would go, or loose space where I'd shove them.  Please explain?  I do like the boots also and am thinking about simply replacing with a new pair as mine are beginning to pull apart.

They're the little boomerang shaped pieces that stick inside the boot around the ankle for more support. I liked the fit better without them, so I don't use mine, but they came in the box.

Yes I remember those. Never would have fit right with them.

17 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

They're the little boomerang shaped pieces that stick inside the boot around the ankle for more support. I liked the fit better without them, so I don't use mine, but they came in the box.

Figured I'd follow up to share my findings with anyone interested.  I tried on several boots that were local and available.  My comments are completely subjective and scattered, but I thought it would be worth it to anyone who finds themselves in my situation.

Ronix Ones - Stiffer than I prefer. I do have access to a pair that I occassionaly ride. Much better once worn in.

Ronix Cocktail - Soft boot, replaces one of their open toe options this year.  Neon is a bit much but comfort was there.  Was told they are a more price point closed boot for Ronix.

Ronix Parks - I purchased these.  Ronix offers a ton of info on their website to show all the features that I might not ever notice or need at my ability level, but if I'm paying I'll take the features.  Soft boot, good flex.  

Hyperlite Team Closed - I liked this boot.  Flexible to a certain amount, but not overly soft.  Would have been a solid choice.  Cheaper than a lot of the other closed boots.

LF Tao - Decent boot, on the softer side, single tongue that needed some adjusting .  Comfortable, but didn't strike me as high end or a lot going on.  I would consider purchasing these if I didn't want the extras of the Ronix.

LF Watson - More design put into this boot than the Tao, but far to stiff for my liking.  Maybe better once they are fulled packed out and worn in.

I know there were more.  But those are the ones I remember.  And, for the record, I would have had no issues going back to the CWB JT boot.  I'm having mine fixed and putting them on my older board.  Just wanted to try something new.

I love the comfort of my LF Vantage bindings: http://www.liquidforce.com/bindings-vantage-ct.html

I have a tendency to over-tighten bindings and these keep me from doing that, I'm on my second set but not because the velcro has failed; I switched from open-toe to closed-toe. The stiffness is exactly where I want it for good control, and the comfort level reminds me of 1980s moonboots screwed to a wakeboard. I don't see myself ever going back to laces, ratchets, or straps...