Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 warrenty

jetskipro550

Not sure if this is in the right place (cause it deals with a stereo) but my friend has an 03 wakesetter which he bought new in June of 2003 and his deck has crapped out on him. Would his deck be under warrenty from Malibu or JBL? If so how long does the warrenty last? He is trying to get this figured out ASAP cause he leaves for Shasta this weekend and is working all night (firefighter works 24 on) so he can't check his boat papers at home. If its not under any warrenty he will take the in 1st thing in the AM.

Thanks in advance :)

ICBW, but I believe that's just 1 year on stuff like that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

One year and it's pulling teeth with JBL/PROSPEC at that. I had trouble with mine within the first year and my dealer/service guy really had to fight to get them to fix it( at least he led me to believe that). Unless you have the remotes in front and on the rear deck, I would suggest installing something real.

One thing I'd add. If you're going to do the install yourself for the head unit (They're not super hard.) Look at a place like Circuit City or Best Buy. They will charge more for it, but you can get the extended warrantys on their stuff. CC especially. Get the 3 year warranty, and it coveres EVERYTHING. Including you not thinking it sounds right. I had a head unit in my car that stopped working 2.5 years later, and CC just handed me a new equivilent.

A friend of mine also has an 03 Wakesetter, and his radio crapped out on him about a month ago. He called Prospec and they told him the radio had a 3 yr customer protection plan, and repaired the deck for him for $90 and it's working like a champ now.

I'd call Prospec and talk to them if I were you.

JV

Edited by jvianco

I do what jvianco says, call, but unless it's free, screw it. That deck in there is the worst I've ever owned. It's not worth the $90. Any HU find aside from some Kraco/Audiovox POS will exceed your expectations if your used to that 03 JBL Marine. Heck, get to the swap meet or flea market and you'll do better.

Trip to Circuit City 1 hour

Alpine CD player $175

Installation 1 hour

Good tunes while boating at Shasta....priceless

I wouldn't bother with the warranty. To me the headaches of trying to get something out of them are not worth the $175 it would cost to go buy a new one.

Alpine CD player $175

Installation 1 hour

I wouldn't bother with the warranty. To me the headaches of trying to get something out of them are not worth the $175 it would cost to go buy a new one.

You might be right on that. I just got it on my Car CD player because I bought the first Kenwood MP3/CD player, which was $300, so I wanted to protect that, plus being the first of it's kind.

I had my JBL crap out from time to time. When I surf and take on heavy water over the rear, making the rear remote wet. It will short out the system for a few days or until it drys out. The other thing is that there is a rest button on the hu. Take off the face plate and look at the bottom left hand corner. Take a shoe lace tip ( or some thing like that) to press it in for a min or so.

But yes the HU Vomit.gif

Alpine CD player $175

Installation 1 hour

Exactly!!

What on earth would a shoe lace be doing on a boat? Haven't you ever heard of sandals man???? ROFL.gif

To hold up my board shorts. Makes for a great extra string to hang kids up from when not behaving. :lol:

FWIW

I have an '03 with JBL and its still working.

Well except for the cd player part - it won't play any cds and tears them up IF you can ever get them out. I don't play CDs anyway.

Oh and the FM reception is worthless so basically can only use AUX input - thank goodness for mp3 players

Alpine CD player $175

Installation 1 hour

he is just going to have a new deck put in tomorrow at the same place that installed his stereo. We were thinking about doing the install ourselves, but seeing as how he has a massive stereo with lots of crazy stuff wired up it wouldn't be your typical install so we left it up to the shop to do. I haven't talked to him since this AM but when we talked he was going to go with the Alpine 9856 unless the shop advised otherwise. The shop price was only 30 more then crutchfield but it comes with a free install so its worth it.

Alpine CD player $175

Installation 1 hour

he is just going to have a new deck put in tomorrow at the same place that installed his stereo. We were thinking about doing the install ourselves, but seeing as how he has a massive stereo with lots of crazy stuff wired up it wouldn't be your typical install so we left it up to the shop to do. I haven't talked to him since this AM but when we talked he was going to go with the Alpine 9856 unless the shop advised otherwise. The shop price was only 30 more then crutchfield but it comes with a free install so its worth it.

That's a good choice Biggrin.gif