Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How does my bilge pump work?

Gavin17

It obviously has a 2 position rocker switch but what are the switch settings?

Auto and off or

On and auto. 

If I leave the boat in the water overnight should I leave it switched on?

I don't have a rocker but mine is "on and auto".

Take a look at the pump and it should have a float switch that will turn on the pump when it becomes submerged. Manually engage the float switch to make sure it operates, then leave it on "auto" for the overnight on the mooring.

3 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I don't have a rocker but mine is "on and auto".

Take a look at the pump and it should have a float switch that will turn on the pump when it becomes submerged. Manually engage the float switch to make sure it operates, then leave it on "auto" for the overnight on the mooring.

mine operates the same.

As stated above, should just be able to leave it in auto. The pump will have three wires going to it; one for ground; one for manually turned on, as in from the dash switch; and one for power direct from the battery bypassing the main "perko" but still with a fuse or circuit breaker in the circuit.  That way you can leave your boat out with the main power off and it won't fill up with a ton of water. 

No idea if that is the correct use of ; but it just felt right. 

If the pump works in manual on, but not in the auto on position as far as you can tell. Turn the Perko switch to ALL OFF and then grab the exposed knob on the side of the pump and rotate it to see if the pump comes on. If not most likely the fuse for the auto on feature is blown. My inline fuse holder was located behind my battery boxes and is run independent of everything else wired directly to the battery. If the boat is not wired for the auto turn on, I would strongly suggest you wire it yourself and it is a real easy job.

Edited by wdr