Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Features or options you wish your Malibu had?

Boomer

Ok, I love my new VLX, but I just sold an '04 Supra SSV recently, and I am coming to the conclusion that there are a few things I am disappointed the VLX doesn't have.

Anybody else see anything nice on another boat, you wish Malibu would add?

My list so far:

Wakeplate. Ok, people make fun of these on tige's and supra's, but damn it made my SSV come onto plane easy, let me plane out very slow for beginners, and let me bury the nose for rough water. I really miss this a lot more than I expected I would. Not sure how one could be added with the Wedge in the way. Maybe dual small tabs to each side of the Wedge. This would even allow side-to-side leveling.

Trust me, the wakeplate is NOT a gimmick, it's awesome, and I miss it terribly.

Remote-mounted oil filter. I just discovered the Monsoon in my VLX doesn't have a remote-mounted oil filter, it's way down on the bottom of the engine. My SSV had the oil filter mounted way up high on a bracket, super easy to change. Luckily, the VLX has a GREAT feature in easily removeable side panels beside the engine. Means you can access the oil filter, but still not as nice as a remote-mount.

Water strainer. I was informed wrongly by a dealer than Malibu's all came with a fresh-water strainer, but they do not. They should. Hate to keep going back, but my SSV had a water strainer on the motor, and a separate one on the ballast system.

Grab-rail around the swim platform. When retrieving a rider, makes it super easy for the person in the water to grab onto the boat as it drifts by.

A better way to display the huge amoun of information in the Malibu Multi-Display. I'm going to wear the switch out constantly switching back and forth between readouts. Water depth, etc. should have a separate readout and be visible all the time.

Shower controls should be mounted inside the back storage compartment, not down by the V-drive. You can't even reach the controls as you're using the shower.

I have a HUGE list of things I like more about the Malibu than any boat I've owned, but just wanted to start a list of things I'd like to see improved. Not meaning this in a negative way, but just suggestions of things you'd like to see on your 'Bu, or ways things could be done better.

What's your list?

I don't think any body has this, but, a really handy feature would be a mute button on the steering wheel for the stereo that would also come back up to volume slowly.

Grab-rail around the swim platform. When retrieving a rider, makes it super easy for the person in the water to grab onto the boat as it drifts by.

Shower controls should be mounted inside the back storage compartment, not down by the V-drive. You can't even reach the controls as you're using the shower.

I have a grab rail on the transom. I always thought it was standard? My shower controls are located in the rear compartment and are easily accessable from the platform. Is that a dealer installed option or factory. I'm not sure. I ordered mine with the boat.

A lot of the accessories should just come on the boat from the factory. Why not have it come with racks, heater, bimini, shower, amplified stereo, cover, depth gauge, pop up cleats, etc ... ?

I think a GPS or DVD player would be nice. KC

RPM-compensating volume

Telescoping driver seat pedestal (would be more comfortable than the bolster)

Fuel flow meter standard

Another accent stripe (like on the RLX and older SLXis) in the Standard Classic scheme

Power Wedge with neutral lockout

I have a grab rail on the transom.  I always thought it was standard?  My shower controls are located in the rear compartment and are easily accessable from the platform.  Is that a dealer installed option or factory.  I'm not sure.  I ordered mine with the boat.

Rip, I have the grab rail on the transom as well, but my Supra had a rail all around the rim of the swim platform, down by the water. You could grab it as the boat drifted past and just hang on. Was also nice when swimming behind the boat. I could lock my toes in there, and just chill. :)

Factory-installed shower, no idea why they put the controls down there by the V-drive, odd.

I feel nit-picky talking about this stuff, I love the boat, but anything can be improved.

Wakeplate. Ok, people make fun of these on tige's and supra's, but damn it made my SSV come onto plane easy, let me plane out very slow for beginners, and let me bury the nose for rough water. I really miss this a lot more than I expected I would. Not sure how one could be added with the Wedge in the way. Maybe dual small tabs to each side of the Wedge. This would even allow side-to-side leveling.

This is one of the reasons I went with the LSV vs 05 VLX. That extra 1-1/2' gives the boat that added handling you are missing. IMO.

The LSV has less bow rise, and really cuts through the chop when the Hammer is dropped. :)

I have a grab rail on the transom.  I always thought it was standard?  My shower controls are located in the rear compartment and are easily accessable from the platform.  Is that a dealer installed option or factory.  I'm not sure.  I ordered mine with the boat.

Rip, I have the grab rail on the transom as well, but my Supra had a rail all around the rim of the swim platform, down by the water. You could grab it as the boat drifted past and just hang on. Was also nice when swimming behind the boat. I could lock my toes in there, and just chill. :)

Factory-installed shower, no idea why they put the controls down there by the V-drive, odd.

I feel nit-picky talking about this stuff, I love the boat, but anything can be improved.

Everything can be improved-no doubt! Now I know what rail you are talking about. I have seen them at the Supra dealer down the street. He has some pretty cool looking boats out front!

:)

I hate to look at it this way but without the grab rail how can you teak surf? At least with the Malibu Platforms there is no where to hold on to surf. It sounds like a they are trying to CYA when it comes to the teak surfing law suits.

Other things changed: stereo location, pylon on V-drives needs to be about an Inch shorter, 2nd remote needs to moved into a better location so people do not hit it so much.

My old Supra had a rail all around the swim platform too. Need to find a way to retro. that on the new Malibu fiberglass platform.

My shower controls have always been in the trunk.

Another stripe on the RLXi color scheme would be nice too.

More factory installed bling items.

Rear seat that is still comfortable, (rounded corners not square), that can be converted into one large sun deck.

Better access to the bilge area.

Colored cup holders like the ones a got from Stewart.

Colored rub rails.

Hey I'm a Wrench Monkey now. Surprised.gif

I'd like to get a tower for the SSLXi. One of my friends says it'll mess up the purity of the boat if I do. Of course he's a skier only and doesn't think very highly of wakeboarding. Say's if I wanted a boat with a tower I should have gotten a different model. lol...

Now _that's_ anal! :)

I like the thruster idea too. Maybe a bow mounted machine gun? I also think I need something to offer those unfortunate fisherman who get to experience the wake (copenhagen? cheap beer?)

I want some 'bu to PWC or 'bu to Wally sidewinder or sparrow missiles. GalaxyToad, think you can help me out on this one? Surprised.gif

Edited by UWSkier

How about exterior airbags that deploy within five feet of the dock

if the wind is blowing above 15 mph & your 'Bu is loaded up with

"non boating extended family" & everyone just has a blank stare &

is unaware of the crash that is about to occur . Shocking.gif

A few years back, accu-ski had a system that "remembered" how you got pulled up. It did this by programming a "good pull up" and saved it. I really wish that feature would make it back somehow. I really get nervous when I'm teaching people how to drive for me barefooting that they'll get to 30 and freak or keep going to 45. It seemed liek an awesome feature and I wish malibu or PPass would do it.

While talking fule flow meters, how bout a range and average computation too? I think computron did all that back in the day, but, it's probably just more stuff to go wrong.

Here's a good one! A tower design that keeps the rope fairly staright back so you don't have to keep yelling at evrybody in the boat to unhook the rope from the boards!

how bout a "courtesy driving" tutorial supplied with the boat! And a fingerprint identification system that won't let wally's drive like wally's!

for serious, how bout this one: a key fob proximity ignition system. push button starting like nautiques, without having to cover the keypad when you're out with your friends to avoid them seeing the code!

Last, but certainly not least, a massaging, cooling seat for teh driver like the new S class, I'd drive allllll day.

Maybe an automated recording of "eye of the tiger" before an early slalom set. yeah, I liek that one

A fuel gauge that works and a fuel nozzle cutoff fitted standard so that I don't splash gas all over my hard work.

Ok, I love my new VLX, but I just sold an '04 Supra SSV recently, and I am coming to the conclusion that there are a few things I am disappointed the VLX doesn't have.

Anybody else see anything nice on another boat, you wish Malibu would add?

My list so far:

Remote-mounted oil filter. I just discovered the Monsoon in my VLX doesn't have a remote-mounted oil filter, it's way down on the bottom of the engine.  My SSV had the oil filter mounted way up high on a bracket, super easy to change. Luckily, the VLX has a GREAT feature in easily removeable side panels beside the engine. Means you can access the oil filter, but still not as nice as a remote-mount.

Water strainer. I was informed wrongly by a dealer than Malibu's all came with a fresh-water strainer, but they do not. They should. Hate to keep going back, but my SSV had a water strainer on the motor, and a separate one on the ballast system.

A better way to display the huge amoun of information in the Malibu Multi-Display. I'm going to wear the switch out constantly switching back and forth between readouts. Water depth, etc. should have a separate readout and be visible all the time.

I have a HUGE list of things I like more about the Malibu than any boat I've owned, but just wanted to start a list of things I'd like to see improved. Not meaning this in a negative way, but just suggestions of things you'd like to see on your 'Bu, or ways things could be done better.

What's your list?

If you don't use the wedge, you can put the suppression plate on to help with planing.