Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you drive?

WakeGirl

What type of drive is your boat?  

469 members have voted

1. 1. What type of drive is your boat?

• Direct Drives rule!
    • V-Drive all the way baby!
    • Forget about those stinking inboards, my i/o does everything I need it to!
    • I can't imagine life without my outboard!
    • Props are over-rated, jet drive is the way to go!

Good news: The Illusion X will fit

Bad news: It doesn't fold down behind the windshield and is too tall. :( Guess it's a Titan.

Yeeehaw

Bryan

Hey, before your resort to a Titan, PM XTIMatt. If you were at the Texas WOW, you might have met him. He has the same problem you do and he gets his Illusion into his garage.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stewart

• NorCaliBu

• UWSkier

• VinRLX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

V-Drive Baby!!!

'Bout Damn Time too. :)

2001 Sunsetter VLX - Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Good news: The Illusion X will fit

Bad news: It doesn't fold down behind the windshield and is too tall. :( Guess it's a Titan.

Yeeehaw

Bryan

One of the nicest-looking '01s I've ever seen! Beautiful boat! Shocking.gif

Any plans for it other than the tower? I'd think some drip molded decals would really complete the look nicely. That and you're gonna want the plug for the table post hole. :)

Had an Infinity before and it was a VDrive the angle of the Prop in the water was less than my RLX, the shaft size probably beacause of the lenth was Bigger (1 1/4)

but again DD is the best Biggrin.gif

One of the nicest-looking '01s I've ever seen!  Beautiful boat! Shocking.gif

Any plans for it other than the tower?  I'd think some drip molded decals would really complete the look nicely.  That and you're gonna want the plug for the table post hole.  :)

Hehe, the plug is in the rear compartment with the table. I noticed that myself and asked about it.

I'm thinking Illusion X with bimini, '05 or '06 decals on the side, some drip molded numbers, a transom pad, and perfect pass. Later as the wife gets better I'll add a wedge and some ballast tanks. For now I want to keep it light for slalom. :)

Another idea I'm digging is a couple oscillating 12V fans for them glassy days on the lake (no wind) when it's hot an I'm too tired to ski another set. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. The '02 and up decals are drip molded. You can get numbers to match perfectly. They'd look great on that black!

The more you use that boat, the more you're gonna love it. What level are you at for slalom skiing? 32 MPH and up, the wakes are literally nothing short of amazing for a V drive. The 22 off wake is almost as good as my friend's Nautique 206... seriously! 28 off, the difference is a little more noticable, but it's still pretty dang incredible.

Did they give you the mirror with it? The '01 VLX has a removable mirror that isn't installed from the factory but comes with the boat.

Edited by UWSkier

That makes me warm and fuzzy to hear because I like to ski 22 off at around 34mph.... Weeeeeeeeee.... :)

Yup, the mirror is included. Haven't seen it, but I know it's there. This boat is just about showroom new.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

no no no, take a response lx, put the wedge down, load up two 600 pound side sacs, and you have a massively huge wake, even without the sacs, the response actually holds a very nice shaped wakeboard wake at lower speads, with higher speeds and no extra weight theres a gorgeous slalom wake, dd all the way Tongue.gifYahoo.gif

Hey, hey, Houston!  Welcome to the Crew! 
It's the V Drive for me.  Love the space, the wake and every thing that goes with it......except I have a flat spot on my head doing the service!

I'm glad someone else can back me up on the v-drive!!

JZ

V-Drive is definitly the way to go: added room for people, storage, bigger wake, over all more confortable with alot of people on the boat.

Had two dd until finally upgrading to v-drive = unbiased

• 1 year later...

We like to water ski so it is a direct drive for us. I am sure when the kids can see or tell the difference it will be time for more wake........ Surprised.gif

I have had 2 DD's. Now that we mostly wakeboard and the new arrival of our son, we are propbably going to upgrade to a VD. Much more room than a DD, all in all as long as its a Malibu, its all good... Biggrin.gif

The new boat is just about here, its a 23 wakesetter XTI. Last boat was a v-drive Mastercraft X-star 2000. It will be interesting to see how I like the seating arrangement in the XTI? Already know that when I'm in the DRIVER'S SEAT that I prefer driving a Direct Drive.

The new boat is just about here, its a 23 wakesetter XTI. Last boat was a v-drive Mastercraft X-star 2000. It will be interesting to see how I like the seating arrangement in the XTI? Already know that when I'm in the DRIVER'S SEAT that I prefer driving a Direct Drive.

Or just perfer Malibu over Masterraft..

Either way - not too many people going from V-Drive to D-Drive.. once you're there, you don't come back