Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Check engine only at high speed

Took the boat out and ran great but if I go above 35 the check engine warning comes on. Oil pressure is good and temp is good. If I stay below 35 it's fine

20 minutes ago, racer808 said:

What RPM are you at doing 35?  

My gauge is dead and I'm waiting on a new one so I'm not sure. Sorry 

On May 14, 2016 at 7:21 PM, electricjohn said:

Is your knock sensor connected?

Idk how do I check that. This is the first inboard I've ever owned

If so equipped it or they will be the round mushroom shaped plugs with wires located center mass of the block and just above the oil pan. There may be another location for it, that is the most common spot.

11 hours ago, wdr said:

If so equipped it or they will be the round mushroom shaped plugs with wires located center mass of the block and just above the oil pan. There may be another location for it, that is the most common spot.

If they are installed is it possible for them to go bad. And if so how can I tell?

They (if you have 2) have to be removed to drain engine for winterization.  Sometimes the mechanic forgets to reconnect the electrical connection to them.  When this happens, you will get an alarm at 30 to 35 mph.  They normally don't go bad being there are no moving parts in them, but if they do, you get an alarm, usually at 30 to 35 mph.  They are connected to the engine computer. 

3 hours ago, electricjohn said:

They (if you have 2) have to be removed to drain engine for winterization.  Sometimes the mechanic forgets to reconnect the electrical connection to them.  When this happens, you will get an alarm at 30 to 35 mph.  They normally don't go bad being there are no moving parts in them, but if they do, you get an alarm, usually at 30 to 35 mph.  They are connected to the engine computer. 

Ok I'm going to check this when I get home today. Thx a lot for the help. I'll post and let you know how it goes

38 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

There may be two. check the other side of engine.

Yes there were two! Thx again