Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Evancore

2015 22vlx

Recommended Posts

Evancore

Ok so I am new here,  my dealer has given me 2015 22vlx for the summer as my axis a22 is being sent back to the factory.  I had a couple quick questions.  I just dropped $4k on 4 Rev 10s and an SD2 amp for my a22 and now I can't use them. So I was wondering if there was any way to easily install at least two of the Rev 10s on the g32 tower without drilling holes.  From what I understand,  the tower has like speaker shelfs was wondering if they worked for rev10s.  The boat comes with 2 icon 8s which I would remove.  

Also another quick question,  is the diamond hull really that bad for wakeboarding?  We surf and wakeboard and do 0 skiing.  Just a little worried that the wakeboard wake won't even compare to my a22. 

Thanks Evan C 

Share this post


Link to post
Rednucleus

Sorry Evan I don't have an answer, but have to be nosy and ask - why does a boat get sent back to the factory?

Thanks, Red

Share this post


Link to post
MLA
3 hours ago, Evancore said:

if there was any way to easily install at least two of the Rev 10s on the g32 tower without drilling holes.

The Rev-10 and icon share the same mounting pattern, so if the Icon is mounted to the shelf, the Rev should. The questions go to be, will the rev-10 fit in that same spot and its girth clear the tower. I recall some early G3 towers with Pro-80 on an OEM style shelf. The Pod is about the same but the Rev-10 is wider at the nose. 

Share this post


Link to post
endostrat

Can't help with the speakers, but I have the 22 VLX with the diamond hull and have had zero issues surfing or wake boarding. We aren't professional, but the wake is huge and very nice.  Enough for us and the kids.  Extra bow ballast will be a must with some pnp sacs. You'll have a great wave and wake. 

Share this post


Link to post
t a

I posted a thread about the 22 VLX wake and my set up is dirty. Wake is massive, u shouldn't be dissapointed

Share this post


Link to post
Evancore

Thanks for input guys.  My boat is going back to the factory because of a lot of gel coat cracks along the bottom hull of the boat.  Yes so I am hoping it's a simple switch the mounting brackets from the icons to the revs,  but the question is will it fit in that same place? As far as ballast goes,  it was a demo boat so there may or may not be pnp bags in the back.  Online and brochures say 550lbs bags for the back but is that the max?  I have 800lbs bags in my a22 and was planning on switching then over but will they fit? The boat also comes with the optional hard tank in the bow but I also have 2 400lbs bags that I can put on the seats if nessisary. 

2 hours ago, t a said:

I posted a thread about the 22 VLX wake and my set up is dirty. Wake is massive, u shouldn't be dissapointed

What hull do you have??  I read your thread and man my a22 could never plane with that much ballast.  I take it the power wedge 2 really helps with ballast 

Share this post


Link to post
endostrat

I have the diamond hull.  900 ballast sacs on each side. They don't fill all the way, but a lot. I have all the stock ballast, and even with that the bow needs a sac to make the wave longer when surfing.  I am at 5200+ ft in altitude with the monsoon 409. Do not have an issue getting on plane. The 22 VLX is a great boat and has been the perfect size for us.  I have the G4 tower so no comment on the tower/speakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
t a
58 minutes ago, Evancore said:

Thanks for input guys.  My boat is going back to the factory because of a lot of gel coat cracks along the bottom hull of the boat.  Yes so I am hoping it's a simple switch the mounting brackets from the icons to the revs,  but the question is will it fit in that same place? As far as ballast goes,  it was a demo boat so there may or may not be pnp bags in the back.  Online and brochures say 550lbs bags for the back but is that the max?  I have 800lbs bags in my a22 and was planning on switching then over but will they fit? The boat also comes with the optional hard tank in the bow but I also have 2 400lbs bags that I can put on the seats if nessisary. 

What hull do you have??  I read your thread and man my a22 could never plane with that much ballast.  I take it the power wedge 2 really helps with ballast 

Mine is the wake hull but shouldn't make much difference, PW2 and 2419 prop do help

Actually PW2 helps, 2419 is overkill

Share this post


Link to post
Evancore

Ok thanks, the boat comes with that prop just hoping that the hull doesn't make much of a difference.  After reading some stuff it sounds like the surf wave should be the same but havent heard a solid answer on the wakeboard wake. 

Share this post


Link to post
t a

Was thinking the same thing...lol

Share this post


Link to post
endostrat

Too true...a deal may have to be negotiated. 

Share this post


Link to post
ID AX
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Stop overthinking the hull differences. Any difference you perceive is in your head. 

What you should really be worried about is taking back your Axis after spending the summer in a '15 VLX. Good luck with that. 

He speaks the truth.  That PW2 is going to spoil you.  The ability to fine tune the wake is oh so sweet.  I was amazed at how much the wake changed between the upper and lower settings.  The lift mode is also pretty awesome.  I have the ls3 and 2419 for altitude and weight.  So far at 3500' with about 3800lbs I've had no problems getting on plane.  The real test will be at the cabin, it's 5000'. 

Fwiw I had a '14 A22 for 2 seasons and am now in a '15 lsv.  

Edited by ID AX

Share this post


Link to post
hethj7

I am sure the dealer is trying to make the situation right by lending you the VLX, but it seems like a pretty good upsell strategy as well!

Share this post


Link to post
ctvandy23
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Stop overthinking the hull differences. Any difference you perceive is in your head. 

What you should really be worried about is taking back your Axis after spending the summer in a '15 VLX. Good luck with that. 

So true...my whole Malibu buying odyssey started with me climbing aboard an A20 at a local end of the season boat show. I loved the boat and requested more info from the dealer.  He sent me the info but I also had the the chance to test drive the VLX...just to compare you know!  Well after the test drive I was still happy with the Axis.  Wife was like hell no, if we are getting a new boat we are getting that fancy touch screen!  After all she does drive more than not, so what was a guy to do, the VLX it was!!

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson
3 hours ago, IXFE said:

Stop overthinking the hull differences. Any difference you perceive is in your head. 

What you should really be worried about is taking back your Axis after spending the summer in a '15 VLX. Good luck with that. 

Oh no you ditint!!

Share this post


Link to post
surfdude

As to the rev 10 question, they won't fit on the factory tower shelf.

Share this post


Link to post
Evancore
12 hours ago, surfdude said:

As to the rev 10 question, they won't fit on the factory tower shelf.

Ahhh ok well that's a disappointment

Edited by Evancore

Share this post


Link to post
jsmail

Actually they won't fit on the top mounting position, but they will mount on the lower mount below the shelf... I switched from two Icons to two Rev 10s and used that setup until I wanted to spring for the $225 in Wet Sounds adapters so they would hook directly to the tower.  The only downside is they are really loud for the people sitting in the back because of the lower position.

Share this post


Link to post
Evancore
6 hours ago, jsmail said:

Actually they won't fit on the top mounting position, but they will mount on the lower mount below the shelf... I switched from two Icons to two Rev 10s and used that setup until I wanted to spring for the $225 in Wet Sounds adapters so they would hook directly to the tower.  The only downside is they are really loud for the people sitting in the back because of the lower position.

So I could mount them on the bottom of the shelf oppose to the top of the shelf? 

Share this post


Link to post
jsmail
16 hours ago, Evancore said:

So I could mount them on the bottom of the shelf oppose to the top of the shelf? 

Yes, in the top mounting spot the Rev 10s hit the tow hoop, but there are Wet Sounds X-mount patterns on both sides of the shelf.  I was able to mount my Rev 10s on the bottom of the shelf without having to make any modifications. I have the shelves off of my boat if you would like me to take a picture so you can see the setup.  Just let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
CJAY

AS long as you're only running one pair of speakers you should be fine, but if you run 2 pairs the wiring isn't set up for optimal performance for the rev10s in the tower and would need to be rewired

Share this post


Link to post
MLA

Honestly, the OEM 14ga is not enough for the SD-2 @ 400W rms x 2 to a pair of speakers. The speaker really doesnt matter, its the amp output. You could easily run 4 pair of rev-10, as long as the amp was a 200 x 2 @ 2 ohm. 

Share this post


Link to post
CJAY

I was more referring to the fact that they are run in parallel in the tower from the factory, I think the axis are also.  I did up mine to 12guage single runs in my tower for both pair of my rev10s though

Edited by CJAY

Share this post


Link to post
Evancore

SD2 amp does 400x2 @4 ohms or 620x2 @2ohms therefore each speaker getting 305 watts if wired in parallel 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...