Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Galvanized Trailer questions

Bigstic

My boat came with a Boatmate galvanized trailer.  I had a friend who got a new fishing boat that came with some new rims that he didn't want.  I traded him a splash guard for the rims.  Was only $100 more to get new tires versus swapping my old tires to my new rims.  I like the rims but now the trailer looks Blah.  I have read good and bad about trying to paint a galvanized trailer and at this point I am not to interested.  I have a friend that pin stripes as well as another friend who owns a sticker cutting machine.

Any thoughts on sprucing up the trailer?  Overall the trailer is in great shape just looks dull.

a311fee6-06ed-4d4d-9d29-a3bfff42fea2_zps

Paint did not stick to my galved trailer from 1970.  I just tried a few hidden spots many years ago to see, but my trailer also goes in salt water too.

5 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Paint did not stick to my galved trailer from 1970.  I just tried a few hidden spots many years ago to see, but my trailer also goes in salt water too.

After cleaning and de-greasing try a solution of copper sulfate in water.  You can get the copper sulfate at a paint store.  That will etch the surface a bit and allow it to hold primer/paint.  Use a good automotive primer.  Lots of sites online explaining how to do.

Will painting it have an adverse affect on the galvanized metal?  Like I said the trailer is in great shape and I would hate to paint it just so that it can start rusting away.

3 hours ago, Bigstic said:

Will painting it have an adverse affect on the galvanized metal?  Like I said the trailer is in great shape and I would hate to paint it just so that it can start rusting away.

No problem for the metal.  It'll be fine.  You are looking at a  lot of work though.  The cleaning and prep must be meticulous and, on a trailer that has some "experience," getting every nook and cranny done is going to take time.  Anywhere you miss will probably start loosing the paint quickly and, if that happens, you're looking at something that might not look as good as what you started with.

• 2 weeks later...

Down under the brand of choice is an easy tow trailer. When these are painted you can have a full painted trailer or just the side rails, winch post & guards.

you can unbolt the guards on the Boatmate & paint these on their own.

if this were my task at hand.

get the boat off the trailer, mask with wide masking tape the areas not to be painted as suggested above, only have to mask say 4" where the paint is to stop for blasting overspray & you only paint what you need to spruce it up.

take it to an abrasive blasting shop & have the areas to be painted whip blasted not blasted to remove the Galv, just enough to provide a key for the paint.

take it to a paint shop to Finnish the job.

do it once, do it properly.

I have a painted over galvanized trailer from the factory, even then, I have areas where the paint is starting to to chip off. Nothing crazy, but I just touch it up ever so often. Either way, I see paint as just another barrier to corrosion. 

I have a buddy in Seattle who has a red painted galvanized trailer for his VTX. Came from Extreme that way as an option. It's held up great.

Seems like a vinyl wrap would knick or ding up on the fenders all too easily.

Another friend had his trailer coated with Linex truck bed liner. It's tough as nails, but looks like it's painted with black truck bed liner.

14 hours ago, Bigstic said:

Thanks for the reply's.  Decided to hold off for now.  Might be a good winter project.

Ther ya go, my project last winter