Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY deckadence

braindamage

I remember reading a post of a less expensive "moss" weave that functions like the deckadence. The price for a whole boat was like $100.

I thought I bookmarked it but can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm looking for the post but..... so far no luck.  I'll keep trying.

@braindamage

Link  The yellow stuff is in this link.  But, there is also more information about different materials in the topic.  There is also a link to a moomba forum with information about Miners Moss, which is what I believe you are actually looking for.  That information is Here!

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Edited by onwi
update with new info

If I me not mistaken. Somebody posted something like this recently. He did all the floor in white and painted a logo in purple on it. 

I will try to find the post

Here you go :

• Like 1
10 hours ago, smooky said:

If I me not mistaken. Somebody posted something like this recently. He did all the floor in white and painted a logo in purple on it. 

I will try to find the post

Here you go :

Yep...this is the thread I remember but couldn't find. Thanks a ton!!

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Man, that is pretty cheap and seems pretty easy! I wish I knew if my floor was finished under my glued in carpet. I, and my wife, would LOVE to not have carpet.

I have a few projects before this one, but my plan is to do what the original poster did which is to overlay on top of the carpet first. I'd then probably pull the carpet as a winter project.

id like to replace the carpet on the bottom of my motor box and side gunnels as well, but I'm not sure I want to replace that with the same miners moss kind of material.

Edited by braindamage
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, braindamage said:

I have a few projects before this one, but my plan is to do what the original poster did which is to overlay on top of the carpet first. I'd then probably pull the carpet as a winter project.

id like to replace the carpet on the bottom of my motor box and side gunnels as well, but I'm not sure I want to replace that with the same miners moss kind of material.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too. Just would be really bad news if we pulled our carpet up and it was raw glass beneath it. I would think that it isn't raw glass because that would not be a good surface to lay the carpet on. It also wouldn't have to be perfect, just a smooth flat surface. I am going to probe my dealer to see if they know.

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yeah that is what I was thinking too. Just would be really bad news if we pulled our carpet up and it was raw glass beneath it. I would think that it isn't raw glass because that would not be a good surface to lay the carpet on. It also wouldn't have to be perfect, just a smooth flat surface. I am going to probe my dealer to see if they know.

Good idea. Let me know what they say. That's another reason to wait and make this a winter project. That way I could put a coating on top of the glass.

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Will do. Also just thinking about it, laying it over the carpet might not be such a horrible idea either...

formulaben
12 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Will do. Also just thinking about it, laying it over the carpet might not be such a horrible idea either...

12 hours ago, braindamage said:

Good idea. Let me know what they say. That's another reason to wait and make this a winter project. That way I could put a coating on top of the glass.

I'm planning on pulling carpet this fall and adding Tuff Coat to the bare floor, then the Deckadence (or similar) will lay on top.

I considered this but it kinda defeats the entire purpose of removing the carpet for me, to get rid of the "mold factory."

ahopkins22LSV
On May 16, 2016 at 9:27 PM, formulaben said:

I'm planning on pulling carpet this fall and adding Tuff Coat to the bare floor, then the Deckadence (or similar) will lay on top.

I considered this but it kinda defeats the entire purpose of removing the carpet for me, to get rid of the "mold factory."

Yeah I agree. Right now my carpet isn't moldy, just packed down.

Idid ask the dealer about what is under the carpet and they said unfinished glass :( . Not sure how much work it would be to sand it and finish it to a level that you could lay something over it. 

• 2 weeks later...
formulaben

I like where this is going...heck, I just might order now to have an overlay for this summer before I remove the old carpet!

On June 2, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Badger said:

I'll see your bet and raise you a Vinloop!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VinLoop-Vinyl-Pool-Bathroom-Shower-Locker-Room-Loop-Mat-by-MattingExperts-/301901030103

I ordered a 4' x 9' sheet over the weekend and should have it tomorrow.  I think I paid like $127 shipped.  I'll start a separate thread to document the research I've done, once I get it.

How does it feel on your feet? Is it soft or rough?

I literally just opened it up 15 minutes ago and am sending it back.  It's much too hard on the feet compared to Decadence and some samples of other stuff that I have.  I took some pictures and will get them posted this weekend.

If you're ordering samples, get some from this company as well.  They have 3 different products for this type of application.  I received samples of all 3 and believe the "premium vinyl" with no backing is the best choice.  I'm trying to make the decision whether I go for this or just go ahead and order the deckadence.  I don't have time to do a full report right now with pictures, but  this product is not as dense as deckadence, which actually makes it softer to the touch.  It would possibly need a non slip backing added, as well, like drawer liner material and it would still not be quite as thick as the deckadence by about 1/16".  It's crush factor would be higher because of the lower density.

From the pictures of the directmat, it appears to be very similar to the material that I'm sending back.  It appears to have much larger diameter strands of vinyl and they are laying down horizontally.  The deckadence and the other sample material I quote above, both have smaller diameter fibers that are standing more vertically.  That leads to a product with more flexibility or "cushion" to the touch. 

http://www.americanfloormats.com/premium-vinyl-mesh-mats/

formulaben
On 6/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, 95echelon said:

Also ordered samples.  The CSR said they are just now rolling out a new expanded color palette and will be updating the website soon.  Both sites allow "custom" lengths.  Looks like at 4 feet I'll have a small seam by the helm but since I have a forward locker that I need access to it won't be a big deal. 

1 hour ago, formulaben said:

Samples coming...this one looks like a better (thicker) candidate.  Pricing seems close to Deckadence though, and only 3' or 4' widths.

http://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-heavy-duty-pool-mats/

I have a sample of this and didn't like it.  The "heavy duty" means stiffer and more coarse.