Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driving with a boom

Toronto Boater

When driving with a boom, obviously you must avoid sharp turns and turns should be very gradual.  But in those gradual turns is it best to turn towards or away from the boom?  I have read conflicting advice on multiple websites. 

thanks.

It really depends if the skier is on the bar or shortline.  If riding on the bar I would turn away from the boom. And shortline towards from the boom because of the spray from the boat.  IMO...  

Agreed that it depends on the use.

I am normally using the boom for beginners. So I drive in whatever way I can to get them up and keep them up.

Also depends when your turn is.  When picking up a skier and getting ready for the next run, it is easier to turn towards the boom and pivot around the skier or footer.  You will not be able to turn around or straighten out the boat if you are turn opposite of the boom when someone is hanging on the boom.  Its kind of an art when getting lined up for a run due to the drag you get on the boom side when someone is hanging on.   Its all about the timing.  You will have to practice until you get the feel of it.  The last thing you want to do is start someone on the boom with the steering turned or need to turn the second they get up.

• Like 2

You can turn a lot sharper than you'd probably think!  We ski on a narrow river and have to make some pretty tight turns.  Both with footers and without on the boom or 5 foot line.

• Like 1

When the footer is footing, you can turn about as sharp as you want to, not much different than when they are not footing.  The boat is under so much power that the boom makes no difference.  Same with teaching a wakeboarder, skier, etc. off the boom.  If you are turning AWAY from the boom, you can turn really sharp.  We have a place on a long narrow lake, and we make a very sharp turn away from the boom at the ends.  It means going clockwise instead of counter clockwise, but it's away from traffic at the ends.

When the footer is hanging (or skier, boarder, etc.), you can only turn towards the boom, the drag will not allow you to straighten out because the boat is under so little power that the hanging footer does way more to direct the boat than the little rudder on the back.

ok thanks for the replies.  Sounds like there is no hard and fast rule and it depends on the circumstances. I was concerned that given the swing of the stern of the boat when turning that turning away from the boom (when there is a skier on the boom) may be dangerous.  I will avoid tight turns in any event.

Turning away from the boom is actually a better idea at speed than turning into the boom.  When my driver is turning away I swing out from the boat and feel like I have a ton of room.  When my driver is turning into the boom I feel like I have to work to stay away from the edge of the boat, and I am throwing a firehose spray at the back seat.

That is shortline, of course.  It probably would not matter much if I was holding onto the boom itself.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Turning away from the boom is actually a better idea at speed than turning into the boom.  When my driver is turning away I swing out from the boat and feel like I have a ton of room.  When my driver is turning into the boom I feel like I have to work to stay away from the edge of the boat, and I am throwing a firehose spray at the back seat.

That is shortline, of course.  It probably would not matter much if I was holding onto the boom itself.

Yes pritty easy to put alot of water into the back of the boat on a Shortline Port side turn....

and depending on how tight the turn,  that rub rail can get pritty close...lol...

@Toronto boater:  As important as anything is to remember the boom is installed when you head back to shore and approach the dock, lift etc:)  Can lead to an embarrassing moment or two!

• Like 2