Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this site dying or is it just that time of the year?

bamabonners

45 minutes ago, DAI said:

Does the new Yukon Denali not have the air suspension anymore?  The rear looks like it's squatting more than my 2010 did (maybe it's the picture or the color of the Yukon giving an optical illusion).   When hooking up the boat to my prior 2010, even with the truck off, you would hear the air suspension kick in and level it off.

Optical illusion.  Focus on the wheel gap not the roofline.  As soon as you hook up the boat the new Denali does just like my old Denali did (also a 2010).... you hear the air bags start filling up.  It sits level.  

Here's a pic of our 2010 Denali XL (from way back in 2011).  Looks like it's sagging here too if you go by the roofline, but that rig also sat perfectly level.  

D7K_0901s.jpg

Edit... everybody see what I did there?? ^^^

yep, posted another pic.  go back to page 4 to see how much conversation my first pic generated.  sure it's off topic, but who cares?  we're talking again.  post more pics, guys... it's like steroids for a forum.  make a vow that for every two posts you will post at least one pic (or something like that).   

any questions about my old MB or Denali...? :whistle:

Edited by IXFE
5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Optical illusion.  Focus on the wheel gap not the roofline.  As soon as you hook up the boat the new Denali does just like my old Denali did (also a 2010).... you hear the air bags start filling up.  It sits level.  

Here's a pic of our 2010 Denali XL (from way back in 2011).  Looks like it's sagging here too if you go by the roofline, but that rig also sat perfectly level.  

D7K_0901s.jpg

Edit... everybody see what I did there?? ^^^

yep, posted another pic.  go back to page 4 to see how much conversation my first pic generated.  sure it's off topic, but who cares?  we're talking again.  post more pics, guys... it's like steroids for a forum.  make a vow that for every two posts you will post at least one pic (or something like that).   

any questions about my old MB or Denali...? :whistle:

Well... it is simple.. but not as simple as a drag and drop on a phone... also... my phototbucket is full (filled in 2 years) and would need to spend time archiving and cleaning before I can post another pic.. which is an issue I currently having on uploading some pics to here for another user to see an installation.... so now I must spend a weekend cleaning out photobucket so I can post images.

1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Wow, your boat makes your truck look small!

Sweet rig!

That's what She^^ said !!!!

34 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'd be all for this exect when we tried this, it didn't stay in that thread. It was rehashed over and over in later threads. They never hugged it out.

Glass houses, stones etc.

• Like 2
On 5/12/2016 at 1:41 PM, bbattiste247 said:

... After the upgrade, I feel that it is not as user friendly and not as much participation. I don't check as often as I used to.

^This^

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'd be all for this exect when we tried this, it didn't stay in that thread. It was rehashed over and over in later threads. They never hugged it out.

Agree or disagree with the direction of the forum... it's super cool of you to be in this thread responding to the conversation.  Thanks, Ronnie.

I know you've said you're not the technical one, but maybe pass along this suggestion:  I'm in the software business and we currently manage close to 200m users.  We have one product where the revenue is dependent on the user base being active.  From time to time when we notice activity waning, we discuss the idea of "toasting" the inactive users to get them going again.  This usually involves some form of message (e.g. email, pop-up, sms, etc.).  You guys could easily look up who some of these long time users are who have gone inactive.  Why not "toast" them?

I'm a member of a different forum that sends out an email every week of the most active topics.  They are trying to "toast" me!  LOL.  Is that an option (not saying I want more email).

I get that this site is not a big revenue generator so this sort of thing may be a lower priority for the mods.  I offer it only as an idea to get traffic going again and pull in some guys who we all miss.  

Finally, I'm curious if you guys have data that shows activity has fallen off.  Like, can you compare logins, clicks, new threads, posts, etc. from April 2016 vs. April 2015?  That would remove all seasonality.  Might be interesting data.  

Well... The site is getting a little slow. I guess Im going to HAVE to start looking for a new boat and asking for help finding it. Better go talk to my CFO. 

Last boat search threat was over 1K posts. Think we can get to 2? 

PS, this is making me think... I don't remember who actually found my LSV on CL? 

• Like 4
ahopkins22LSV
13 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Well... it is simple.. but not as simple as a drag and drop on a phone... also... my phototbucket is full (filled in 2 years) and would need to spend time archiving and cleaning before I can post another pic.. which is an issue I currently having on uploading some pics to here for another user to see an installation.... so now I must spend a weekend cleaning out photobucket so I can post images.

Create a new gmail account and register on photobucket. Faster then archiving stuff.  Multiple other hosting sites as well. I totally understand why the admins here don't want to be a photo host site  it would cost wayyyyyyyy more and could really add a lot more issues to the forums.

And how many pictures do you have on there? I've been using it for years, early 2000's and I still have a TON of space.

7 minutes ago, ID AX said:

I am relatively new to TMC but not forums in general.  Some of the things I see. 

If people are discouraged from posting "repeat" threads or questions, your activity goes down.  No need to interact with others when a search will do.  Personally I haven't ever had much luck with the search function on here and would rather interact with other posters  

Just like society, you always have some people who push the rules and want to have a good time.  You also have the individuals that want everything calm and vanilla.  The two sides make up a small percentage of actual members.  If you take away or discourage the "hooligans" then the fun factor goes down and so does most of your activity.  If you let them go unchecked you get WW.  There has to be a balance.  There was another boat forum that went down a couple years ago and when it came back up the moderator alienated some of the members who posted freely and took advantage of the off topic forum.  Mostly the PWs. Those members left and took a lot of experience with them.  The site became almost dormant.  Three years later It's going good again but only due to a lot of new members and new surf systems being offered by the manufacturer.     I enjoy the banter and sarcasm but that's my personality and I know it's not for everyone.

I could care less about what method I use to post pics.  I've always used photobucket for other forums. I can see how it would be confusing or hard for some people new to forums and it would be beneficial to be able to direct post.  I also understand there is a downside to direct posting as well.  

Gratuitous pic 

61C2F560-DB8A-4EBA-8FA4-B419AB52428D_zps

Boat looks great... tower looks naked!  

Winter project...???

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

Create a new gmail account and register on photobucket. Faster then archiving stuff.  Multiple other hosting sites as well. I totally understand why the admins here don't want to be a photo host site  it would cost wayyyyyyyy more and could really add a lot more issues to the forums.

And how many pictures do you have on there? I've been using it for years, early 2000's and I still have a TON of space.

it is probably all my videos hogging up the space :)

Just now, Levi900RR said:

Well... The site is getting a little slow. I guess Im going to HAVE to start looking for a new boat and asking for help finding it. Better go talk to my CFO. 

Last boat search threat was over 1K posts. Think we can get to 2? 

PS, this is making me think... I don't remember who actually found my LSV on CL? 

That's the spirit!  Pics are great, but nothing turbo charges this forum more than a guy who needs help with his new purchase. 

Maybe that's why we're struggling... not enough guys needing help spending their money.  

Just now, ibelonginprison said:

This was technically in response to some of the things Ronnie brought up, but it’s more of an open letter.

I had a lengthy, well-organized, (and my attempt at being respectful,) response typed out to try to explain the views that a lot of people have expressed to me offline about the moderating style, and/or the favoritism that they have noticed or experienced being extended towards long time members... but I realized that it would make zero difference. So I deleted it. The admins have their job. They need to keep the inmates from running the asylum, and certain inmates get more leniency, and it’s probably not even on purpose - that’s just the way the world works. I’m also realistic in recognizing the fact that anything I said, regardless of if it fell on deaf ears or respectfully received as intended, would make zero difference at the end of the day. 

Look - because of this site, I’ve met some terrific local friends and we’re on the water together almost every weekend and meet up throughout the week for dinner etc., I talk to probably a dozen members several times a week via text and a handful have become almost like BFF’s, (yeah I said 'bff', totes adorbs, I know) and I’ve found a lot of knowledge that I wouldn’t be able to otherwise come by. And for that I’m grateful. So I mostly stay away and only lurk when I need something, or happen to see a question or topic I can help with, because I know that when you boil it down to the basics, me and my sometimes off-kilter contributions are not welcome here. My screen name, my personality, my inability to sometimes think through an excited response before I post it... whatever it is, I get it. Like TuPac said, I ain’t mad at ya. A leopard can’t change its spots. If I post more often, even though I never mean to offend someone, I’ll end up banned for some reason or another.

Does that maybe make this place more boring because I, and others that have a weird sense of humor like me, are scared to post most of the time? Yeah, probably. But it might also make it better for other people. So we’ve moved elsewhere for our small talk because the bank of answers to questions and issues that are located here are invaluable, and we don’t want to lose that. 

So, don’t worry - you guy won. I’ll continue to keep my mouth shut 99% of the time and your apple cart stays undisturbed. 
Now, back to my group messages with TMC members where I can be a little weird and not get judged. 

All the best...
-Todd 

^^^^^Truth^^^^^

1 minute ago, IXFE said:

Boat looks great... tower looks naked!  

Winter project...???

Yup.  My CEO said I need to wait until winter.  I am looking at going with 4 KM8s on an Arc ks300.2.  I can't decide on white or black pods and speakers though.  New thread maybe???

Can we have a twisted sarcastic site and family friendly site?  You choose which you want when logging in

10 minutes ago, ID AX said:

If you take away or discourage the "hooligans" then the fun factor goes down and so does most of your activity.  If you let them go unchecked you get WW.  

Although... WW seems to self police the "hooligans" quite well.  And when he-who-shall-not-be-named tried to start a stupid troll thread over there a couple of weeks ago it went over like a lead balloon.  Shoot, politics can even be discussed on WW without the world ending.

I guess the tradeoff is that wakeworld is probably not very "new guy" friendly.

• Like 2
Just now, shawndoggy said:

Although... WW seems to self police the "hooligans" quite well.  And when he-who-shall-not-be-named tried to start a stupid troll thread over there a couple of weeks ago it went over like a lead balloon.  Shoot, politics can even be discussed on WW without the world ending.

I guess the tradeoff is that wakeworld is probably not very "new guy" friendly.

About the only thing WW has going is the ability to trade jabs without repercussions.  Definitely NOT new guy friendly. 

17 hours ago, martinarcher said:

Sure thing - drop me a PM.  The system tells me you can't receive one, mailbox must be full.

@martinarcher, I can't use PM's.  I've emailed you using the address from before, but no answer.  Please email or call me.  info (at) smooth water sports (dot) com

Thanks.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan