Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this site dying or is it just that time of the year?

bamabonners

I used to read topics hourly and check this site before Facebook. After the upgrade, I feel that it is not as user friendly and not as much participation. I don't check as often as I used to.

Edited by bbattiste247

@Ronnie -- thanks for your thoughtful response!  I wasn't trying to "call the mods out" on any recent events.  You guys have a thankless job.  If you are doing it well nobody notices and it's only when there is conflict that you get feedback (usually bad).  I don't envy the position and I'm definitely not lobbying for an appointment.  Truth be told I can see my own boating days will be on the decline soon too as my nest empties.

Wondering how much not having tapatalk has hurt, percentage wise? I'm a desktop user mostly, so didn't really like tapatalk, but I know others really liked it.

Do people know you can click on the icon to the left of a title and it will take you to the latest messages in a thread you didn't see?  Also you can setup options on a feed?

8 minutes ago, footndale said:

Wondering how much not having tapatalk has hurt, percentage wise? I'm a desktop user mostly, so didn't really like tapatalk, but I know others really liked it.

Do people know you can click on the icon to the left of a title and it will take you to the latest messages in a thread you didn't see?  Also you can setup options on a feed?

Doesn't hurt me at all - gawd I hate tapa talk.  Much prefer the mobile interface that this site has.

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, rennis said:

not dying but a lot less active.  the "Show Active Topics" function in the new software sucks and that's why I'm around a lot less.  In old system it showed all active forum conversations from all subforums in time/date order.  It doesn't do that anymore and that's a key feature of a good vBulletin forum, IMO.

There is still an unread content option  too right, looks like a newspaper  seems to be the same filter as the unread content as the last version.

3 hours ago, RTS said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the price of the boats these days.  I know one of the most active threads has been about that new boat that is, what, about $150,000.   Way out of my league and nothing I would be able to contribute to any discussion about.  And does Malibu even make a 'ski' boat anymore?  I don't know.  But if they did I probably could not afford it and therefore would have no questions about it.

Edit:  And I am sure I could go on Malibu's website to see if they still make a ski boat...but last time I tried that a couple years ago I got spammed by the local dealer (via e-mail and my cell phone) after just playing around on the website 'building' a boat.  Haven't been there since.   Won't be back to their website again.  I hate that crap.

Yes Malibu still has two ski boats. The Response TXi and Response LXr. Also you can build a boat without submitting your information. If you submit and save the boat it goes to your local dealer. They then think you are seriously interested in ordering a boat. I build boats all the time and have never been contacted. 

Maybe it's time for a few of us to step up our game.  I'm going to bring some more snarkiness and sarcasm to liven it up!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Maybe it's time for a few of us to step up our game.  I'm going to bring some more snarkiness and sarcasm to liven it up!

You've been here since '06. So you CAN do that.
Anyone here less than 5 years, probably not. 

I've seen long time members post stuff that I got banned a week for.  
Got money that says I have a thread named after me in the Mod forum...... *shrug*

Sorry. I'll go back to lurking now.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

You've been here since '06. So you CAN do that.
Anyone here less than 5 years, probably not. 

I've seen long time members post stuff that I got banned a week for.  
Got money that says I have a thread named after me in the Mod forum...... *shrug*

Sorry. I'll go back to lurking now.

Nope. Actually, anyone can do that.

You never get banned for a first offense...

My interest in the site has waned lately (my billables are way up!!!).  I did a couple projects on the boat this year (swapped my 2015 underwater transom LEDs for 2016 models; installed the new surfband, updated firmware, got the action mount for the GoPro).  I considered posting on these small projects, but I can't post pics directly anymore and linking to pics uploaded to third party sites is too much of a pain.  So, I didn't post.  Probably the main reason I'm posting less is I don't have a new boat this year and I think it will be a while before I purchase another BU.  

I have been reading a lot of trawler blogs--I really wanna boat the Inside Passage up to Glacier Bay, relax in the the San Juan & Gulf Islands, BC Sunshine coast, etc.  But that is a different type of boating and more of a retirement dream.  We are still getting out on the BU about once a week lately.  

I really miss seeing who is lurking on a given page in real-time at the bottom.  Can't that feature be reinstated?  

7 hours ago, UpperleftWake said:

Well, i'm on the verge of ditching my wetsuit in favor of a heater top. Weather has been awesome here in Oregon :). Going to log another few hours in this 80+ degree weather in the PM!

26370141043_19fc493543_c.jpgWakesurf. by Mason Obray, on Flickr

Completely totally insanely jealous...

site is great. I am on a jeep forum, a water ski forum, and many other inboard forums. While the silliness is certainly missed,, this is still the best forum out there!!

dont really like the new format but ill get used to it?

^this right here....I hate that I have to upload my pictures to another site then link them here.   That's JV if you ask me.  We should be able to upload pics with out resizing to a tiny resolution.  

formulaben
11 minutes ago, Cory said:

I considered posting on these small projects, but I can't post pics directly anymore and linking to pics uploaded to third party sites is too much of a pain.  So, I didn't post.

I totally understand bandwidth costs but I'd wager this is by far the biggest obstacle to posting around here.

I just joined  back in January but looked around a bit back in the fall when I was first thinking about buying my first Bu.  So I don't really have much experience with the old site, but the new site seems just fine with me.  A lot of good advice and some great topics, but like everything else in life things ebb and flow!  I still enjoy checking in every day and reading the various topics.  I do agree though that posting pictures could be easier and certainely takes away from posting sometimes.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

There is still an unread content option  too right, looks like a newspaper  seems to be the same filter as the unread content as the last version.

Yes Malibu still has two ski boats. The Response TXi and Response LXr. Also you can build a boat without submitting your information. If you submit and save the boat it goes to your local dealer. They then think you are seriously interested in ordering a boat. I build boats all the time and have never been contacted. 

3 ski boats

Response

Response LXR

Response TXi

And yes, new format blows. 

Side note, @martinarcher I need to get in touch with you. 

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
  • Like 2

When I joined the topics were all about getting the wakeboard boats to surf...then it was all about surfgate (game changer!!), then all about DIY surfgate (ghetto gate, slurpeegate, etc) and whether the platform could handle the pressure, then about martinarcher and the automated gates. In the middle of all this was a lot of "what is this, what prop, what board, ballast options, and a lot about chee-both good and bad.

I think there was a big step change as people grappled with how to make their old boats act like new ones so they could keep up with a rapidly changing surf boat world.

I think things are starting to plateau to more stable topics and a higher percentage of posts are kind of everyday. It's still good, there just isn't as much excitement of new stuff in between.

there is still a ton of square windshield rebuilds, upgrades, help me buy a boat, Craigslist deals, etc... As I said before, I like it...

Edited by braindamage