Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this site dying or is it just that time of the year?

bamabonners

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'll give it a shot, but wish I didn't have to do it. I also tried an image resizing app too, but found that to be the same hassle. It be great if the forum did the resizing automatically. 

It would be great if the pictures resized automatically, that feature would be well worth the cost of being a member!  I have the resize app and have to try 3-4 times to get the pic small enough to post, it's a big pita.  I have photobucket and dropbox but hate using them too.

I am in the camp of not really liking the new layout either.  I finally am starting to get used to it, but the old was more user friendly.

Testing a picture. I just snapped this picture with my iPhone 6 and uploaded it straight to the site with no resizing. Are you $upporters getting a pixel size reject or a storage size? Just making sure it's not my level of access to the site.

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Just click on your own name anywhere on the site. All your posts are at the bottom of your profile. 

Oh but I shouldn't have to click on my profile. :Doh: I can't believe all the people who can't figure out the photo hosting.  It's to your advantage.  Your pics are stored long term. And you can post them anywhere. Forums, emails, Facebook,  whatever. Plus the pics are better!

i believe i stated that when i read a topic, then leave that topic (no mention of posting in that topic) i can't find it again until someone else posts in it and it shows up as unread content.

I am not a quick as i used to be and i sometimes leave a topic before i figure out i can contribute something to the topic.

Why can't i click on my profile?

I think the consensus was that adding photo's is a hassle when it could be easier.

i read a topic, think "oh i want to add a pic" so open a new tab; log into photobucket; find, upload pic; copy link; go back to tmc; paste link. The pics are already stored long term on whichever device they are on as well as backed up and frankly, while the steps to add photobucket pics appear minimal, it is a hassle and my thought would be f-it, that topic will just have to survive without my pic added to the conversation.

The pics are only better because of the restriction tmc has on the size of image that can be directly uploaded.

really, you believe it is easier to add photos to forums, emails and facebook from photobucket than directly from your phone or computer?

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Testing a picture. I just snapped this picture with my iPhone 6 and uploaded it straight to the site with no resizing. Are you $upporters getting a pixel size reject or a storage size?

Uploaded it directly how? I used to put it directly in a reply, now all I get is "existing media" (photos I've used here before) OR "insert from URL"

Edit: NVM, I see my membership is up. Unable to purchase another. Please send me an invoice.

The only thing I dislike about photo bucket pics from others is that when they go and clear out their PB account to make more room, all the pics they delete disappear from everywhere they've linked them on the internet. Go through any older posts with pics and half will be blue squares or kitties. That's the main reason I uploaded mine here, kept them to a small amount, and appreciated that the site allowed the bandwidth usage. Those pics will be here forever.

Edited by jk13

This is what I get if I try to upload from my phone photos.

99A53C22-8149-4E1D-8FCE-F296104B9C5C_zps 

To make it work I would have to email myself a smaller version on the photo, save it and then upload that one. 

OK, looks like it might be my access level then. Remember I don't have anything to do with the programming of the site or changing anything like this. I don't have a bogus login for the site to test this out. I thought that in the past you guys were able to have the site resize the photos BICBW. Let me see if I can get some other eyes to look at this and see if the software will allow resizing. I don't see any way for Non Supporters to get around linking to another host to post pictures because of Bandwidth costs though. Somebody has to pay for the Bandwidth and as long as we are advertising free, it's going to be someone else. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Bill, I think you are missing the point.  if I need long term storage I will go get it.  When I am up loading pictures I want to save long term they are pictures that are out of site out of mind.   I think  the links w photo bucket should still be an option.   

But If I just want to up load a picture i have on my phone or computer I should not have to up load to photo bucket then click a link.  Then paste the link.  I should be able to post any picture from my phone regardless the file size straight to this site in one step.  Most the time I don't post pictures because I don't feel like doing that.  And it apparent a lot of users feel the same way. 

Likewise, your missing the point too. Hosting pictures is a burden to the site. Disk space & bandwidth cost money. And it adds up in a hurry.

I understand you need it quick & easy. But others need to not lose money too. This isn't new to forums either. Some will host pictures, but they are sites that are also paid for by advertising too.

Ronnie are you in the Alamo right now?

1 hour ago, jk13 said:

The only thing I dislike about photo bucket pics from others is that when they go and clear out their PB account to make more room, all the pics they delete disappear from everywhere they've linked them on the internet. Go through any older posts with pics and half will be blue squares or kitties. That's the main reason I uploaded mine here, kept them to a small amount, and appreciated that the site allowed the bandwidth usage. Those pics will be here forever.

I have 849 photos on photobucket and my storage is 7% full.  I mean I guess people could need to delete to store more but I'm not sure how or why I would ever have 10,000 photobucket pics shared on the web?

Like for instance this pavati dash pic is still available in my library (the switches! the skulls!):

pavatidash.jpg

For sharing photos with friends and family I'd never use photobucket.  Facebook is just way too easy to make me want to go to pbucket.  

22 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Let's not let this become like Teamtalk and have Malibu shutting down threads they don't like.  I would love to have the factory participate more (we know they read the site from IXFE) but we don't need them controlling things.  Just my two cents. 

... and yet, they seem to be able to have political threads on team talk without the world ending.  And that really super creepy swimsuit thread that literally has over 4M views.

Edited by shawndoggy
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I have 849 photos on photobucket and my storage is 7% full.  I mean I guess people could need to delete to store more but I'm not sure how or why I would ever have 10,000 photobucket pics shared on the web?

I get it Shawn. Point was if you go look at any old thread half the pictures will be gone. Doesn't matter why it happens, just that it does. The pics that we paid a portion of our membership money to post here will remain, so I appreciate the option.

8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Like for instance this pavati dash pic is still available in my library (the switches! the skulls!):

pavatidash.jpg

For sharing photos with friends and family I'd never use photobucket.  Facebook is just way too easy to make me want to go to pbucket.  

... and yet, they seem to be able to have political threads on team talk without the world ending.  And that really super creepy swimsuit thread that literally has over 4M views.

I blame Obama! 

35 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Let's not let this become like Teamtalk and have Malibu shutting down threads they don't like.  I would love to have the factory participate more (we know they read the site from IXFE) but we don't need them controlling things.  Just my two cents. 

This is the exact reason we have never went the advertising or Factory sponsorship route. We like being able to post anything for or against any product out there. When you accept advertiser's money, you have to sing their praises and not allow any negative talk about them. Honestly, I doubt Malibu would like this either. With the current setup, how valuable to Malibu is this site with all the "Free" feedback and product research that they get on their products? 

I've had many conversations about the site with Malibu factory people and Reps, including the Big Dog. They read the site and take notes. Even the silly threads.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, jk13 said:

I get it Shawn. Point was if you go look at any old thread half the pictures will be gone. Doesn't matter why it happens, just that it does. The pics that we paid a portion of our membership money to post here will remain, so I appreciate the option.

No I know what you mean too. But it's really the nature of the Internet. I mean we had the great stereo purge of 2011 on here where all sorts of great information went up in smoke like a good old fashioned book burning. And then we let users edit or delete their posts too. @-BS- for instance seems to semi regularly go back in his time machine and delete what he said. 

Edited by shawndoggy
24 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

1492 pics...... that take up over 3 gb of disk space. And over 5000 views.

I imagine someone who posts really cool pics a lot would have a LOT more.

2 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Maybe that @ibelonginprison guy could chime in about photo storage. I don't know him but I heard he has a lot of  memes that get posted. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Stevo said:

oooh, i like this game. ive only been photobucketting for a year so mine is pretty weak but here goes

my fav mod on the LSV so far

20150808_073252_zpskdpjiinp.jpg

chine lock

@shawndoggy, yes the wrenches went to me.  I think I gave them away when I sold the Malibu.  

That seat is undoubtedly my best contribution to the site.  I had a guy who lives here locally make it for me, then advertised it on here for him.  It has taken off nicely.    He told me he has sold something like 200 of them last time I talked to him.  

7 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but if it's either a very high quality pic or a pic I want widely shared, then it'd go on Facebook, where original sized photos are easy to post, share and download. Then I can share it here too if I want. 

I use photobucket for stupid forum related stuff like "what's this wire"

4C291AE9-2209-4B4B-A258-DEBCD290DF89_zps

12 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

@shawndoggy, yes the wrenches went to me.  I think I gave them away when I sold the Malibu.  

That seat is undoubtedly my best contribution to the site.  I had a guy who lives here locally make it for me, then advertised it on here for him.  It has taken off nicely.    He told me he has sold something like 200 of them last time I talked to him.  

201.  There's one in the box in my garage waiting for my boat to get here.

8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but if it's either a very high quality pic or a pic I want widely shared, then it'd go on Facebook, where original sized photos are easy to post, share and download. Then I can share it here too if I want. 

I use photobucket for stupid forum related stuff like "what's this wire"

I don't think there is a 'wrong'. I don't Facebook, so I use PB for stuff I want on multiple forums (or forums I don't care to pay for) and TMC hosting for things like "where's this wire" so it'll be here forever in case my PB gets deleted or I change hosting sites.

This is the only forum I've found enough useful info to pay for, and I try to return the favor for others who use it. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

OK, looks like it might be my access level then. Remember I don't have anything to do with the programming of the site or changing anything like this. I don't have a bogus login for the site to test this out. I thought that in the past you guys were able to have the site resize the photos BICBW. Let me see if I can get some other eyes to look at this and see if the software will allow resizing. I don't see any way for Non Supporters to get around linking to another host to post pictures because of Bandwidth costs though. Somebody has to pay for the Bandwidth and as long as we are advertising free, it's going to be someone else. 

Ronnie that would be great.   If I can upload my photo I don't care what size you make the file.  

4 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Mastercraft owns TeamTalk so they have content control. Malibu benefits from this site either way.