Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paddlewheel upgrade to GPS Speedometer

78footer

I have an 07 Response Lxi SE and have found the paddlewheel speedometer to be inaccurate.  I would prefer to swap out for a GPS unit.  My skiing no longer justifies the need for zero off system and the PP Stargazer Speedo does not fit the opening of the existing speedo.  I found a company Nautic Laugic that makes a gps unit that will plug into the existing Malibu speedometer.   The unit is the NL4-BU or NL4-XL depending on the year of boat.  Has anyone had any success with this company/unit?

We have also installed Nautic Logic on our 13 TXI . Plug and play installation and it works nice , much better than paddlewheel.

18 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

Does the use of this system maintain functionality of the Malibu Cruise feature?

Yes, the system doesn't even know it is there since the Nautiqe Logic box is just simulating paddlewheel pulses.   Pretty decent deal considering that the factory GPS module option is around $400, although with that you can switch back and forth between the paddlewheel and GPS mode.

@78footer:  You can calibrate the paddlewheel, instructions are on the PP or Airmar website.  It can be done either using a course (known distance) or with a hand help GPS unit.  If your unit has gone from being accurate to inaccurate it might simply be a need for a "tune up" with replacement parts available from PP, Airmar or other vendors like SkiDim, etc.  Check to see that the paddle spins freely.

Edited by Woodski
1 hour ago, Ericsmsg said:

We have also installed Nautic Logic on our 13 TXI . Plug and play installation and it works nice , much better than paddlewheel.

That's great.  Thank you for the feedback.  Where is the plug in located to hook the Nautic Logic to the Speedo? 

Does anyone know if the paddle wheel pics up the water temp also, or is that part of the depth sensor?  I like the idea of replacing the paddle wheel, but don't want to loose the lake temp feature.

@inlandlaker:  not knowing exactly which paddlewheel you have, if assuming it is an Airmar unit the answer would be yes, the paddlewheel unit contains a sensor for water temperature.  One way to tell is by the wire count coming from the sensor itself, 5 wires with the brown wire being the temperature signal.

15 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

Does anyone know if the paddle wheel pics up the water temp also, or is that part of the depth sensor?  I like the idea of replacing the paddle wheel, but don't want to loose the lake temp feature.

Yes your paddle wheel has the lake temp, you will not lose your lake temp with the  Nautic Laugic.

5 hours ago, onamission said:

Yes your paddle wheel has the lake temp, you will not lose your lake temp with the  Nautic Laugic.

Do you know if the depth finder will be impacted or is it independent of the paddle wheel?