Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this a good deal on a boat?

blacksmoke01

Hello.  I am new here and had a question about buying our first boat.  I am looking at 2008 247 LSV for $50K.  I am just wondering if this seems like a good price for this boat?  It fully loaded and has everything I need.  Also, any issues or problems with this year and model?  Thanks again and looking forward to hopefully being a new Malibu crew member.

Thanks for the info.  I have been looking up the problems and there seems to be many with 2008 boats.  Thanks again.  I'll check with the dealership.

That's on the high side. But if it's in top shape with all the options and the 8.1 you should be ok. Not a steal, but you aren't being taken to the cleaners either.

You can get 2006 boats around 42 and 2011 around 62. 

Are you set on a 247? The 23 LSV is smaller but it's malibu's most popular model and there will be a bigger selection to choose from. 

I agree about the newer one.  Bit also in all fairness I do not know the production volume vs problems on the 383 Hammerhead.  Just be careful.  

I traded in a 2010 247 in August with a ls3 corvette motor and 403 hours. It does have a good stereo, but it is a little beat up on the exterior. My dealer has it priced at 69,999. They also have a 2009 with close to the same amount of hours for 65k. I had no problems with my 2010. I think 50k is a good price depending on the motor and hours.

Thanks again.  Seems like it might be better to either wait to see if they drop the price on the 2008, or save up a bit more and get a 2011 or newer?  I do like the looks of the newer boats better and the features seem worth a few extra grand. 

Is yours the blue and black boat at Boulder?  I just looked at that one online.

I sold my 2006 with Hammerhead motor a year ago for 46K.  It had surf ballast, rockin' stereo and a few other goodies.  

Having owned a HH engine, I am much less afraid of it, and rumours of its problems are exaggerated.  I think it tends to burn oil.  So I add a quart every 25 hours...hardly a big deal unless you run the boat 150 hours without ever looking at the dipstick.  

2008 had the MUX switches that were prone to failure, didn't it?  

50K seems like a reasonable deal for a 2008 unless it has zero options.  

I think most people agree that the 247 has a superior surf wave to the 23.   Just requires a little more weight.  If I were in the market for 'best boat for 50K' a 247 would be right at the top of the list for me.  

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 2
Just now, TallRedRider said:

I sold my 2006 with Hammerhead motor a year ago for 46K.  It had surf ballast, rockin' stereo and a few other goodies.  

Having owned a HH engine, I am much less afraid of it.  2008 had the MUX switches that were prone to failure, didn't it?  

50K seems like a reasonable deal for a 2008 unless it has zero options.  

I think most people agree that the 247 has a superior surf wave to the 23.   Just requires a little more weight.  If I were in the market for 'best boat for 50K' a 247 would be right at the top of the list for me.  

I agree and I've vented my frustration more than I should have in the past.  It is a strong performer and I've never hit the wall with it after properly propping it.  It just pi$$ed me off to find out about all the quirks (which mine displays them all) after the purchase, my fault I guess for not doing enough research.  Is the 8.1 is an upgrade but I personally don't value it much more than a couple grand max.  I recently heard that you have to replace riser gaskets every few years...?  I guess that levels the field a bit since I've never touched mine.

Having bought a 2007 247 silver edition last summer I think you are right in line.  I have the hammerhead and the oil issue caught me off guard, but it's now just a matter of checking oil regularly. We love the room and smooth ride it provides.

Sounds  about right price wise if it doesn't  need anything. I'm happy with my 06 247.  I got it 2 years ago for around $45. Gasket  change on 8.1 isn't  that big  of a deal. Agree with above, My main draw was that its the Best wake/surf  machine under $50k.

i don't mind checking the oil.  And I've heard that even the new boats have electrical issues.  So it's definitely a good buy for a first boat.  Thanks.