Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior Lights reading 9-10 volts

I'm in the process of replacing my interior lights with leds in my 2000 sunsetter vlx. I cut and stripped the wire from the old lights, and use a voltmeter to check which lead was positive/negative, and I notice a reading of 9.34v. After seeing that, I checked another, closer to the switch, and got 10.2v. What would cause this not to be 12v? Voltage drop? Is there any way to correct this? Run better/new wire all around the boat?

Edited by joshuadale07

Yes, voltage drop. Could be through the switch or could be on the negative side of the circuit. Put the meter's neg on battery neg and restest. next, put the meter pos on battery pos and test the light circuit neg. Check going into and then out of the switch. 

Thank you for the help. In the mean time I was messing around with the lights and wiring and it looks like at some point some really cheesy wire was used to tie in the lights. I wouldn't think it would be like that from factory. It looks like lamp cord wire. I am going to test at the switch, and go on from there. Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...

Hello-

Where did you get the lights? I would like to replace my incandescents with LED's in the gunnels and the bow. Did you have any other problems with this?

Thanks,

Jay