Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to power the ws420sq?

Chatty21VLX

Where is the best or at least an acceptable place to get battery power for the ws420sq? I have it mounted just under the dash to the port side of the steering wheel. Would it be ok to run it straight to the 12v bus powering the house breakers? Also, i assume the "remote" wire is to be hooked up to the same wire from the head unit that signals the amps to turn on? 

The instructions say zero about the power circuit and i just want to make sure i don't fry anything...

Best to run all your audio gear from the same voltage source (+ and ground), especially if you have a separate battery for the amplifiers.  Run a 2 conductor from the stereo battery (or switch or buss) to the helm area.

+ from battery to HU yellow

+ from battery to EQ red

+ from battery to switch then to HU red

HU Blue/white to EQ blue to amp remote-on(s). There is probably already a wire for this from the helm to the port side.

Switch will then turn all your components on.

RCAs from HU front left and right to the EQ inputs.

Question, if you don't want to run a switch, can you just daisy chain a line from the amp remote on to the ws420 remote on? Also how many amps, plus eq, can you put on the factory remote on, without causing problems?

10 hours ago, surfdude said:

can you just daisy chain a line from the amp remote on to the ws420 remote on

This is the proper way. The EQ should be turned on vie the head unit just like the amps. 

Looks like i'll be pulling new wire from the port v drive locker battery to power the head unit and 420. It will be about 35 ft since i'll be going around the bow. Will 14 gauge be large enough, or should I use 12 gauge?