Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boathouse / Dock Lights

MadDogMike

Our new boathouse is almost done. :thumbup: Just curious what others have for lighting on their boathouses / docks. Post pics please! 

I did see that thread on underwater lights, and I do think that's cool. However, first I'm interested in conventional (above water) lights to light the dock, boathouse, slip, etc.

I thought about lighting under my lift but then wouldn't that attract every bug and spider in the area? I shut my docking lights off as soon as i can on my pontoon. The bugs come as soon as you turn them on! 

We have dock lights that are basically outdoor landscape lights that line our dock (140'). I think we have about 10 on that span. As soon as possible we shut them off. Only on when necessary. Many times the moon/ambient light is sufficient and we don't use them. They attract bugs like crazy. Then, the bugs get all over your boat / cover. I would think a minimalist approach would be best.

Additionally, I have nothing on the lift itself. I don't find it necessary and don't want the bugs to find me if I am out there at night (which is rare anyway)

I had 4ft fluorescent shop lights over each slip - they will be switched to LEDs this time though. These were only turned on if I had to work on the boat or needed good lighting to see for some reason. Also had a 4ft fluorescent inside the closet - also swiching to LED.

At the end of the dock, mounted at the roof line, we had a dusk to dawn fixture with a yellow "bug light" bulb. The larger metal halides, and the like, attracted way to many bugs.

On the swim deck I had string lights for basic / ambient lighting at night. No bug issues with them. Also had a standard 60W bulb on another switch for as needed.

On top deck, more string lights, the ceiling fans had lights as well, but hardly ever used them. I did have one pointed directly at the grill that I used a good bit.

Walkway lighting we tried several things, Rope lights burned out fairly often, we tried solar and they worked OK - I want to go with LED low voltage setup / landscape lighting next time.

Look for "warm" light colors whatever you go with. Much more desirable for anything other than task lighting.

Edited by chris4x4gill2

We have a lot of bugs in the summer as well.  They are so bad I turn off all boat lights when we come off plane before loading into the dock.  Just the nav lights and the dash lights attract a bunch of bugs.

While I might not turn on the dock lights when it is just my family, you will definitely want lights for guests trying to unload.  The lights are also helpful finding the lost flip-flop, etc.

My pseudo-solution... I have flood lights on opposing corners of my boat house.  Each are on their own circuit.  When I am unloading, I can turn on a single light far from passengers. 

• 6 months later...

I bought lights similar to these at costco last year.  Very bright, looks like a runway on my dock.  At night I can always locate my house from great distance.

https://jet.com/product/detail/805b99c6c4a54106bd6d16283d605f90?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_home_garden_a1:lighting_landscape_pathway_lighting_a1_other:na:PLA_348543900_24223395300_pla-161689794300

http://www.lakelite.com/products/2pk-solar-dock-post-lights-round/

This is what we use for our dock. You can change them to all different colors. We use red and green lights for the ends of our dock to mimeck navigation lights while the rest of them are white. I will try to get a picture when I get home today and it gets dark. We have used them for a few seasons now and they still work great. 

I had some of those solar dock post lights that @blytle473 mentioned.   One summer in the sun and the outside plastic was so brittle it fell apart. 

It may not be the exact same model, but very similar and we could change the colors.  It was fairly pricey and I wasn't impressed.

39 minutes ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

I had some of those solar dock post lights that @blytle473 mentioned.   One summer in the sun and the outside plastic was so brittle it fell apart. 

It may not be the exact same model, but very similar and we could change the colors.  It was fairly pricey and I wasn't impressed.

It probably helps that I only leave them on my dock during the summer time (around 6 months). I take them off during the winter time just because I don't need to illuminate the dock during that time. 

On 11/19/2016 at 0:55 PM, MadDogMike said:

Here's what I ended up with for lighting:

https://goo.gl/photos/q8DdA5N83v6VbW2v6

https://goo.gl/photos/Qbrzepbmi1ajYeZBA

String lights and ceiling fans with Edison bulbs. 

More pics of the boat house, if anyone is interested: https://goo.gl/photos/jkDmwmA52BKaj9tb6

That is a sick spot.  What lake

• 6 months later...
On 11/23/2016 at 8:27 PM, NHolladay said:

That is a sick spot.  What lake

Sorry, I missed the notification on this. It's Jackson Lake, about an hour southeast of Atlanta, GA.