Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acme 2773 – 15” Prop review – Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV

ibelonginprison

Just a quick review of this prop so others can know a little more about it. I’ll drop the details below, and then a summary of it. But let’s just say, this is something I should have done two years ago.

Boat – 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV

Engine – Indmar 5.7 340hp Monsoon

Previous prop – Acme 537 (13.5” x 16 pitch) (will make a great boat anchor)

New prop being tested – Acme 2773 (15” x 13 pitch, .105 cup)

The old 537 prop, it worked. But if weighted more than the stock ballast then it struggled. If I loaded up the stock tanks, had more than a few people on board, filled the rear 750’s and dropped the wedge, it simply wouldn’t get on plane. Period.  Struggled to get to 13mph, then wouldn’t go any further.

So, enter the 2773. It’s a relatively new prop, haven’t seen much on it, but decided that the specs fit exactly what I needed. Decent cruising speed/rpms, with some more grunt at the bottom end to pull a rider while having some extra weight, without having to worry about my little 340 Monsoon not having enough power to spin it all the way to 5250 rpm.

I’ll have to update you guys after I fill the sacks, didn’t have a chance to do it this weekend (rode behind a G23, G25, and a sacked out ’15 23 LSV) But I did test the acceleration empty, then with full stock ballast and wedge down with 3 people in the boat. 

Result:

Night and day difference.  (Then again, I think a midget with a paddle might be better than that 537)

But it’s much more responsive, feels like a friggin’ race car on the bottom end, then continues to pull hard at all RPM’s, reaches max RPM, and didn’t raise my cruising RPM’s much at all. Here’s the RPM / MPH comparison. (the dash tends to measure within .5mph of the GPS up until the top speed, where the dash reads one mph higher.) These are both full tank of fuel, no ballast, three people total.

Verdict: a worthy prop. If you’re like me, where you need some more bottom grunt for a little more weight without giving up too much cruising ability, this prop works wonders.  Maybe it’s my imagination, but it even helped clean up the port side wake lip at 20mph some. (I guess less prop wash?) And like I said, I’ll update after I have the boat loaded up with stock ballast, wedge, and the 750’s.

Acme 537

RPM / Speed

3000 / 24mph

3500 / 29mph

3900 / 32mph

4000 / 33mph

4200 / 35mph

5250 / 41 gps / 42 dash

Acme 2773

3000 / 23.5mph (- 0.5)

3500 / 28mph (- 1)

3900 / 31mph (- 1)

4000 / 32mph (- 1)

4200 / 34.5 (- 0.5)

5250 / 41 gps / 42 dash (same)

• Like 2

This is the prop I'm running, 8.1 247. Full fuel/ empty ballast 30 mph at 3200rpm, running stock mls + 2700lbs comes on plane good.

fuel consumption is better then the stock 381 when empty 

i boat mostly at 430ft

Edited by shadetreefab

I am also running this prop on my 15 lsv. Had the 2315 on my 14 lsv. We are at 3400 ft. As soon as the boat gets broken in, I will load it up, and write a comparison also. Seems like it runs lower rpms at surf speed, with pretty similar top end as the 2315.

• Like 1
On May 9, 2016 at 2:25 PM, surfdude said:

I am also running this prop on my 15 lsv. Had the 2315 on my 14 lsv. We are at 3400 ft. As soon as the boat gets broken in, I will load it up, and write a comparison also. Seems like it runs lower rpms at surf speed, with pretty similar top end as the 2315.

Pls update when boat is full of ballast. I am curious. I am currently running the 2419 but would like to know how this prop does with 4K ?? And wedge?? 

On 09/05/2016 at 2:55 PM, ibelonginprison said:

Just a quick review of this prop so others can know a little more about it. I’ll drop the details below, and then a summary of it. But let’s just say, this is something I should have done two years ago.

Boat – 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV

Engine – Indmar 5.7 340hp Monsoon

Previous prop – Acme 537 (13.5” x 16 pitch) (will make a great boat anchor)

New prop being tested – Acme 2773 (15” x 13 pitch, .105 cup)

The old 537 prop, it worked. But if weighted more than the stock ballast then it struggled. If I loaded up the stock tanks, had more than a few people on board, filled the rear 750’s and dropped the wedge, it simply wouldn’t get on plane. Period.  Struggled to get to 13mph, then wouldn’t go any further.

So, enter the 2773. It’s a relatively new prop, haven’t seen much on it, but decided that the specs fit exactly what I needed. Decent cruising speed/rpms, with some more grunt at the bottom end to pull a rider while having some extra weight, without having to worry about my little 340 Monsoon not having enough power to spin it all the way to 5250 rpm.

I’ll have to update you guys after I fill the sacks, didn’t have a chance to do it this weekend (rode behind a G23, G25, and a sacked out ’15 23 LSV) But I did test the acceleration empty, then with full stock ballast and wedge down with 3 people in the boat. 

Result:

Night and day difference.  (Then again, I think a midget with a paddle might be better than that 537)

But it’s much more responsive, feels like a friggin’ race car on the bottom end, then continues to pull hard at all RPM’s, reaches max RPM, and didn’t raise my cruising RPM’s much at all. Here’s the RPM / MPH comparison. (the dash tends to measure within .5mph of the GPS up until the top speed, where the dash reads one mph higher.) These are both full tank of fuel, no ballast, three people total.

Verdict: a worthy prop. If you’re like me, where you need some more bottom grunt for a little more weight without giving up too much cruising ability, this prop works wonders.  Maybe it’s my imagination, but it even helped clean up the port side wake lip at 20mph some. (I guess less prop wash?) And like I said, I’ll update after I have the boat loaded up with stock ballast, wedge, and the 750’s.

Acme 537

RPM / Speed

3000 / 24mph

3500 / 29mph

3900 / 32mph

4000 / 33mph

4200 / 35mph

5250 / 41 gps / 42 dash

Acme 2773

3000 / 23.5mph (- 0.5)

3500 / 28mph (- 1)

3900 / 31mph (- 1)

4000 / 32mph (- 1)

4200 / 34.5 (- 0.5)

5250 / 41 gps / 42 dash (same)

How is it that with such a difference in pitch you get the same speed with an equal amount of rotation of the prop? The pitch is almost 19% less on your new prop... is it that the bigger diameter prop slips less, or is there another reason i'm not seeing? 

I just changed my prop from 13.5" - 17 pitch to 13.5" - 14 pitch and the rpms are quite higher at the same speeds. I wish i measured it like you did before changing the prop

Not sure of the difference on the holeshot, i havent weighted the boat with the new prop yet.

10 minutes ago, JulioEstevez said:

How is it that with such a difference in pitch you get the same speed with an equal amount of rotation of the prop? The pitch is almost 19% less on your new prop... is it that the bigger diameter prop slips less, or is there another reason i'm not seeing? 

I just changed my prop from 13.5" - 17 pitch to 13.5" - 14 pitch and the rpms are quite higher at the same speeds. I wish i measured it like you did before changing the prop

Not sure of the difference on the holeshot, i havent weighted the boat with the new prop yet.

I wondered the  same thing, every time I've changed props it gave a 1 for 1 difference in rpm, 15% change in pitch gave me a 15% change in rpm.  This seemed to hold true until I got above 40mph where these inboard boats get pretty inefficient.

45 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

changing diameter changes the results.  Stepping up in diameter is like stepping up in pitch.

20% additional prop slip over the typical 10-15% sounds like a lot.

3 minutes ago, gorilla said:

A 1" change in diameter is equal to 2-3" of pitch. Posted plenty of places online. 

This doesn't sound right to me, if I go up an inch in diameter with the same pitch, my prop slip is going to drop form 15% down to 0?

35 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This doesn't sound right to me, if I go up an inch in diameter with the same pitch, my prop slip is going to drop form 15% down to 0?

I will say that just a half inch difference, all other things (pitch and cup) being equal is quite noticeable in the slip department, at least according to my butt-dyno.  2079 was like a camaro with bald tires in the snow compared to a 2315 on my MB.

"better" is relative.  Bigger props (all things being equal) seem to have a slower top speed and can induce a bit of prop yaw (making the boat seem like it's unevenly weighted in the direction of rotation of the prop).

Acme has some new props I'm curious about. The 2419 and 2777 seem to have the same specs? I called Acme and they said the fins of the 2777 are shaped differently. I guess we need some real world comparisons.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, here we go. My 2014 lsv had the 2315 prop. We are at 3300ft I run about 4000 total ballast. My new holdover 15 lsv has the indmar 6.2, that alone is a huge diff. Put a 2773 on this boat after talking to Cory. This is the holy grail for my boat at my altitude. Maybe the indmar over the mp is part of it! Have to use paddle wheel speed cause we're on the river with some currant right now. Top speed 40 mph surf rpm's 31to 3200! Burning prolly 1/4 less gas. The 450 indmar Chevy is a beast, compared to the mp.

How does the acceleration compare? While RPM vs. speed is a good statistic, if it takes 10 more seconds to get up to speed it can feel like a lifetime. I'm not looking to rip anyone's arms out of their sockets with acceleration, but I'd like to see how long it takes to get to each of the speeds listed both with and without ballast.

Did not time anything, but it's up to surf speed as fast or faster than the 2315. Again part of this is also becaus my old boat had the marine power 450, new boat has the indmar 450 (Chevy) . I don't have a 2315 prop any more to do a back to back test. Just my thoughts on the 2773 on this boat.

I just picked up a 2014 22 MXZ (Monsoon 350) that's equipped with an ACME 1235. Before I bought it, I was happy to see this prop because of my experience with it on my former tow vehicle, a 2005 vRide. On the vRide, I had changed from a 537 to a 1235, which made a HUGE difference in performance. With the MXZ/1235 combo, it takes forever and a day to get out the hole if I have the plug-n-play filled beyond about 500#. I'm eager to hear how it performed when heavily loaded. I'm riding almost exclusively at 840' elevation.