Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp Placement 2007 VLX

TC_2006_VLX

When a person has 3 amps is there an ideal placement for the amps in the "hole"/battery compartment. I dont think i can squeeze all three on the front wall and drilling into the exterior wall an/or interior wall doesnt get me excited.

The factory has gone to mounting an amp rack to the "exterior" (hull) wall.  so you first mount mounting blocks of some sort to the hull (usually with some form of industrial adhesive) and then mount the rack (carpet covered plywood or starboard) to those stand off blocks.

My boat did not have the amp rack on the inside of the hull either.  I mounted 2 pieces of aluminum angle stock to the bulkhead at the front of the observer locker and the bulkhead at the rear.  Just be careful with screw placement and length - especially at the rear - and make sure the angle pieces are in the same plane.  I then put 2 pieces or PVC siding board (.75" x 5.5") between them.  Does not look quite a slick as a flat board with all the wires hidden but it sure is easier to get at everything and to route wires and ballast hoses.  The back of the amps are exposed for a bit better cooling too.  Room for 3 amps.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:11 PM, minnmarker said:

My boat did not have the amp rack on the inside of the hull either.  I mounted 2 pieces of aluminum angle stock to the bulkhead at the front of the observer locker and the bulkhead at the rear.  Just be careful with screw placement and length - especially at the rear - and make sure the angle pieces are in the same plane.  I then put 2 pieces or PVC siding board (.75" x 5.5") between them.  Does not look quite a slick as a flat board with all the wires hidden but it sure is easier to get at everything and to route wires and ballast hoses.  The back of the amps are exposed for a bit better cooling too.  Room for 3 amps.

Do you have any pictures of this setup?? Would love to see how this looks. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, klinger said:

Do you have any pictures of this setup?? Would love to see how this looks. Thanks in advance!

Will take some this weekend and post up next week.  Your LXI will likely have a different structure in the observer compartment though.  Basically all I did was use the bulkheads for a foundation instead of the side of the hull.  As above, just check for thickness before you drill into the glass and use the right length screws.

I will take some photos tonight, but I was able to fit 3 amps on the front wall. It was tight, but after some strategic wiring it all came together. The "Hole" was my home for the weekend... woof! Heads up when wiring from driver side thru belly to port side that the holes to run wires are NOT circular. Rather they are circular with a square notch hidden away from sight :(

Good to know. I'm not overly excited about pulling wire from side to side under the floor. I need to run two sets of RCA cables from locker area to helm area as well as two sets of speaker wire for the helm area speaker in the dash and the rear starboard speaker. Hopefully it all fits without too much hassle. Any tricks for running cables through there?? I have a fish tape if needed.

You can see the aluminum flat bar that I used to mount mine. 

20150717_221612_zpsxyecrq7w.jpg

I used hdpe blocks glued to the hull then screwed into those to mount the aluminum bars.