Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Touch Screen Reliability issues?

ORMailbuboater

On 8/21/2016 at 9:18 AM, ckhokiehi said:

Was riding behind a 2016 25 LSV yesterday, and the 7" screen would intermittently not work when trying to toggle between stereo sources, to the point where we had to shut it off a few times to get it to toggle between AUX and BT.

I am sure a new screen would fix the issue, but it's a little concerning to already have issues with one that's not even a year old. 

mine started doing that then 2 weeks later no radio, and so on... from what ive seen read heard all 16 screens need replaced. my neighbor is looking at a new 2016 23lsv and told him within 100hrs he'll be getting that screen replaced and should just have the dealer do it from the get go... but doubt they will..

I thought they published serial numbers impacted and it was most 2016's, but not all.  I didn't check mine, but figure since I took delivery after July 4th, mine had to be one of the last 2016's made.   No issues from mine yet (#runs to knock on wood with Wake the World and a week long vacation coming up)

• Like 2
On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎09 at 8:56 PM, 67King said:

There was a batch now known to have been bad.  I got a replacement based on serial number before I had to send in old one.  New Viper, everything is now great.

Thanks 67King,

I followed up with my dealer.  They said the same thing and had a new Viper head unit sent to me in 2 days on warranty.  That's good service!  :)

I installed the new unit (7" screen+) and everything fires up nicely with a few new options like compass on the 12" screen, option for "Wake" or "Boat" view on the 12" screen, and the time now shows on the 12" screen.  The BT also works better.  I also have a surfband option (with no surfband), and the time shows on the 12" screen.  Exclusively good upgrades :)  The unit shows the FW version as MY2015 012016 V2, but the FW sent with the unit is for MY2015 Viper2 - 012016V1.  I'm reluctant to upload the FW sent from the dealer because it looks like I'd be going backwards.  

What do you guys suggest?  Should I upload the FW from the dealer?

Wow where do I begin, First Off let me say, AWS from Oregon City is Top notch, Unfortunately I feel like a Nascar Pit stop lately , I come in for fresh Screens and tires...Then first 70 HR No issues then My Monitor, ( 12")  Stated blinking and I mean every 5 to 10 Seconds Drove me nuts, My Dealer did everything Malibu said to do Fast forward Mid 2016 still no fix, So I said replace the darn 12"... Problem solved instantly, After 4 trips to the dealer wasted time and fuel It's fixed.. Or is it.. Everything is great until May of 2017 Now My 12" screen freezes up you can still use the knob for speed and the speed and temp all work but you cant change anything else, Could not drain Ballast or anything,  So I switch Power off and it would work for a few minutes and then freeze again, So pretty much Useless, Take it back to the dealer Another Nascar Pit stop Fresh Screens & Tires and away I go, This time the 7" gets the love, So Problem solved.... Or is it! Well that lasted 30 HR's I notice an occasional Blink and then Yup Frozen This time it take about 5 Power on and off reboots and the 6th was the charm, Mean while the boys keep whispering in my ear switch brands Malibu sucks now, I'm on my 3rd Malibu I love the Looks I love the innovation ( when it don't blink and freeze, Pretty much a fan boy! I don't want another boat I just want this 90+ investment to do what it was designed to do... Is that too much too ask? My 2015 Ford F150 Has a fricken Touch screen It works and cost half as much! Honestly guys is getting pretty hard to defend this brand, Oh and just tonight spent an hr talking to another buddy with a 2016 same issues, Only he added Ind-mar Raptor False fault codes.  BTW Love my Flawless Chevy Monsoon! You may have more Torque But Mine has never thrown a code!! Plus duel exhaust is much cooler..LOL trying to make myself feel better! Anyway by no means is this to slam Malibu.. I want to like them so bad!!! any suggestion would be awesome, 

Edited by Wakesetter67

Start with the basics, check the batteries. Load test them, I have a fancy SnapOn charger. Make sure one battery isn't weak or needs to be replaced. Then check ALL power and grounds, even the grounds on the motor. I don't know how Malibu powers those screens but I would be exhausting my resources looking at the source(s). How are the CAN lines connected? Is the connection good? Where do they go? Is that connection good? Are the CAN lines in the plugs going to the right pins? Have John and Dave get on the horn with the best Malibu tech if they haven't already. 

• Like 3

Man, I am hesitant to say it as I don't want to jinx  myself but I am on 80 hours on my 2016 with no blinking or freezing screens.  I am sorry for those having issues.  Hope Malibu steps up and gets it solved!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TrimDawg said:

Thanks 67King,

I followed up with my dealer.  They said the same thing and had a new Viper head unit sent to me in 2 days on warranty.  That's good service!  :)

I installed the new unit (7" screen+) and everything fires up nicely with a few new options like compass on the 12" screen, option for "Wake" or "Boat" view on the 12" screen, and the time now shows on the 12" screen.  The BT also works better.  I also have a surfband option (with no surfband), and the time shows on the 12" screen.  Exclusively good upgrades :)  The unit shows the FW version as MY2015 012016 V2, but the FW sent with the unit is for MY2015 Viper2 - 012016V1.  I'm reluctant to upload the FW sent from the dealer because it looks like I'd be going backwards.  

What do you guys suggest?  Should I upload the FW from the dealer?

Keep what you have. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.!

6 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Wow where do I begin, First Off let me say, AWS from Oregon City is Top notch, Unfortunately I feel like a Nascar Pit stop lately , I come in for fresh Screens and tires...Then first 70 HR No issues then My Monitor, ( 12")  Stated blinking and I mean every 5 to 10 Seconds Drove me nuts, My Dealer did everything Malibu said to do Fast forward Mid 2016 still no fix, So I said replace the darn 12"... Problem solved instantly, After 4 trips to the dealer wasted time and fuel It's fixed.. Or is it.. Everything is great until May of 2017 Now My 12" screen freezes up you can still use the knob for speed and the speed and temp all work but you cant change anything else, Could not drain Ballast or anything,  So I switch Power off and it would work for a few minutes and then freeze again, So pretty much Useless, Take it back to the dealer Another Nascar Pit stop Fresh Screens & Tires and away I go, This time the 7" gets the love, So Problem solved.... Or is it! Well that lasted 30 HR's I notice an occasional Blink and then Yup Frozen This time it take about 5 Power on and off reboots and the 6th was the charm, Mean while the boys keep whispering in my ear switch brands Malibu sucks now, I'm on my 3rd Malibu I love the Looks I love the innovation ( when it don't blink and freeze, Pretty much a fan boy! I don't want another boat I just want this 90+ investment to do what it was designed to do... Is that too much too ask? My 2015 Ford F150 Has a fricken Touch screen It works and cost half as much! Honestly guys is getting pretty hard to defend this brand, Oh and just tonight spent an hr talking to another buddy with a 2016 same issues, Only he added Ind-mar Raptor False fault codes.  BTW Love my Flawless Chevy Monsoon! You may have more Torque But Mine has never thrown a code!! Plus duel exhaust is much cooler..LOL trying to make myself feel better! Anyway by no means is this to slam Malibu.. I want to like then so bad!!! any suggestion would be awesome, 

When was the original 7" replaced. If it was earlier it might still fall into the batch that has known problems.

45 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Keep what you have. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.!

When was the original 7" replaced. If it was earlier it might still fall into the batch that has known problems.

Yes Just about a month ago! And it is still broke, It just started freezing up again last weekend, Thats why I'm so frustrated, I honestly have zero confidence in the touch screen, And really no real cure.......

5 hours ago, skurfer said:

Start with the basics, check the batteries. Load test them, I have a fancy SnapOn charger. Make sure one battery isn't weak or needs to be replaced. Then check ALL power and grounds, even the grounds on the motor. I don't know how Malibu powers those screens but I would be exhausting my resources looking at the source(s). How are the CAN lines connected? Is the connection good? Where do they go? Is that connection good? Are the CAN lines in the plugs going to the right pins? Have John and Dave get on the horn with the best Malibu tech if they haven't already. 

Battery is on a Pro mariner off shore charger every day, and the stereo is completely off line and on it's own separate battery's , I would think it's a computer issue since the way to finally get it to work is to reboot many times, I'm on my third season with no resolve, AWS has gone above and beyond, I think the blame go directly to who ever manufactures the touch screen, They need to find a new vendor Touch screen are not something new...

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Man, I am hesitant to say it as I don't want to jinx  myself but I am on 80 hours on my 2016 with no blinking or freezing screens.  I am sorry for those having issues.  Hope Malibu steps up and gets it solved!

Yes thats is what is weird, Many on here have had great success And it seams everyone I ask at the ramp has had some sort of the same issues

Maybe next step is to replace the Viper2 box?  If your replacing multiple screens with same results move to another source.   It might not actually be the screen itself causing the issue.  Is your software updated to the latest version?

14 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Yes thats is what is weird, Many on here have had great success And it seams everyone I ask at the ramp has had some sort of the same issues

The guy who finances a lot of the deals around here said the same last week. Nothing but problems with the screen(s) on his buddy's LSV. Fman makes a good point are you running the most current software? 

Edited by skurfer
On 7/17/2017 at 9:36 AM, Fman said:

Maybe next step is to replace the Viper2 box?  If your replacing multiple screens with same results move to another source.   It might not actually be the screen itself causing the issue.  Is your software updated to the latest version?

The Viper II is built into the touch screen. The issue they mostly had to do with the screen digitizer. 

My 7" screen was replaced at 40 hours and I lost the left tower speakers in the process.  Is it most likely the MTC 7" box, the ViperII box, or did my wiring just come loose?  I wish you could separately control the tower speakers from the rest of the system but I don't see a way to do that.

8 hours ago, BruCru said:

My 7" screen was replaced at 40 hours and I lost the left tower speakers in the process.  Is it most likely the MTC 7" box, the ViperII box, or did my wiring just come loose?  I wish you could separately control the tower speakers from the rest of the system but I don't see a way to do that.

That's probably a pin backed out from the audio harness on the viper screen. Plug closest to the port side of the boat.

11 hours ago, BruCru said:

There are also RCA connectors coming off the back of the Viper if its a boat with the Rockford black box.

You may try covering your screens partially especially the 7 inch with a towel or shirt while in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time.  My 17 M235 screens started acting up around 20 hours with freezing.  Had to cut power and reset. Replacement at 20 hours didn't change symptoms.  Screens always felt super hot when symptoms started so I started covering the small screen when there was direct sunlight on it and it was hot outside.  Screen would cool down and work as normal.   Now I'm at 130 hours and using the cover the small screen protocol when it starts acting sluggish it has not locked up for 100 hours.  May just be all in my head but I'm just happy to be able to keep surfing and not questioning my Malibu loyalty.  Anyone else had a similar overheating screens?

12 hours ago, potterm said:

You may try covering your screens partially especially the 7 inch with a towel or shirt while in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time.  My 17 M235 screens started acting up around 20 hours with freezing.  Had to cut power and reset. Replacement at 20 hours didn't change symptoms.  Screens always felt super hot when symptoms started so I started covering the small screen when there was direct sunlight on it and it was hot outside.  Screen would cool down and work as normal.   Now I'm at 130 hours and using the cover the small screen protocol when it starts acting sluggish it has not locked up for 100 hours.  May just be all in my head but I'm just happy to be able to keep surfing and not questioning my Malibu loyalty.  Anyone else had a similar overheating screens?

That was something I was checking, But I spent a week at Shasta Lake with temps over 106 and it did fine, I come back to Oregon Temps just about 80 and it fails, Plus I do have tinted windows that should cut down direct sunlight, I noticed when they went to replace it last month they installed one for a VTX and it had some sort of heat deflector inside, Turns out it was for a newer year and would not work, So when the correct screen arrived I notice no heat reflector, Not sure if that has something to do with it? 

• 1 month later...

my 2016 VLX had the 7 inch screen freeze.  I could still run the boat and surf but lights, blower, bilge pumps kept starting and stopping and bluetooth stopped working completely.  Had difficult draining the ballast tanks....had to reset the boat 3 times to get the ballast to drain.  Dealer ordered a new screen and are installing it tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I don’t own a Malibu but I own a touch screen on a surf boat. I noticed SUNSCREEN on my hands transfers to the touch screen and creates all kinds of lockup stuck button issues. We keep screen cleaner on the boat now and try our best to keep the sunscreen off the touch screen. 

10 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Touch screens do not belong on boats AFAIAC

Still using your flip-phone when you're on the water, I assume?

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Gmoney73 said:

In April I bought a 2014 VTX which had the 7" MTC replaced in late 2018... I've put maybe 20 hours on it and the MTC is going bad again. It freezes once a day now, but I only need to power down/up to get it to reset. I don't need to mess with the battery and it is usually good for the rest of the day. The dealer I bought it from is working with Malibu to have the screen replaced since the screen is less than a year old. Hopefully, this will solve my issue. Certainly less annoying than many of the posts on here, but this is the second issue I have had with the boat since I bought it. ECM also went bad and I missed out on 2 days of boating over the 4th. 

This is a thread about 2016 screens....