Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Touch Screen Reliability issues?

ORMailbuboater

Dealers keep the 7" in stock usually, does that tell you anything?

My 7" is being replaced in my 15 LSV among other things. Good thing is they are taking care of it. Bad thing is I have no boat as my son prepares for Eastern Regionals when our practice time is worth it's weight in gold. 

Maybe the dealer will step in and let me use their demo boat for a few hours every Sunday to get Aiden ready???

Edited by ConnollyCrew

I'm going on 245 Hr's on my 15 and still have not solved the blinking issue, AWS has been awesome and has bent over backwards to try to come up with a solution, The thing is, it works so good as it never freezes up and very reliable!  I almost hate to change it and then have other issues that effect performance, But it is rather annoying  and always having to explain to people who ask's "whats wrong with your dash LOl So I think they have it down to the 7" screen, they are going to replace both, stay tuned, But either way I absolutely love how it works and performs! 

On August 14, 2016 at 3:11 PM, potterm said:

Malibu reliability must be horrible based upon my experience with an A22 2014 and now a 2015 lsv that we bought new at the end of 2015.  Both boat had issues but the Malibu has been much worse.  Not even a year old and now the transmission is slipping, the smaller screen broke once and is acting up again; power wedge broke, and my O2 sensors alarm all the time and I get told we surf too much even though that's what the boat is designed for.  Since day one I've been having the o2 sensor issue had them attempt to fix it at least 3 different times and had all 4 sensors replaced and the POS still alarms several times a day.  

I had O2 sensor issues; power wedge faults; and some other electrically related glitches.  Turned out that my boats engine main wiring harness was assembled up against a hose clamp and chaffed through.  It was up near the pylon above the engine near the plastic ballast tubes (not sure what they are called- but they are U shaped and prevent back flow).  Anyway, I discovered it just by running the boat and wiggling every wire in the compartment until the symptoms popped up.  The dealer replaced the entire $1200 harness (under warranty).  Was surprised that QC missed this build issue.  Also - another clear water line (think it fed the shaft water/packing) was rubbing on the alternator.

O2 sensors are very sensitive to voltage... I think the wedge issue was just and adjustment issue & my Moomba friend tried to raise it while traveling to fast (I didn't know he was fiddling with it).

transmission slipping? More likely a prop problem. Just my guess.

I have 15 22vlx. my screens were bad from the start, Malibu replaced both of them and they have been fine for over 100 hours.  It took a while to get the dealer to replace them, they told me they were really expensive parts and then would explain to me how I was supposed to use the touch screens.  For what it's worth, the screen issues have been affecting other mfg boats at the lake too. 

Malibu corporate  acknowledged this as a known issue and said it required full replacement of the screens (as another poster stated). However, both times it happened to us we did a hard restart after powering off the batteries for a minute - just as with any other computer- so we viewed it as something annoying but that could wait until fall to be fixed. 

Was riding behind a 2016 25 LSV yesterday, and the 7" screen would intermittently not work when trying to toggle between stereo sources, to the point where we had to shut it off a few times to get it to toggle between AUX and BT.

I am sure a new screen would fix the issue, but it's a little concerning to already have issues with one that's not even a year old. 

I am realizing more why I always do a stereo delete and seperate my stereo from Malibu integration.  Fortunately my 2015 has had no issues at all with any of the screens, but I only use the 7" for heater, blower and led lights.  Sounds like that boat will be getting a screen replacement or a software update.  Almost makes me wonder if it is more a software issue than hardware issue.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

Spoke with a Malibu rep and he told me there was an issue with the 2015 7" screens but they have corrected the problem for the 2016's. I reached out to him because we are about to purchase a new boat. He said that the 2015 and up models were completely different than the ones in the 2012 I had. Not sure if this is fact or not but what did upset me was the fact that he said there was a few isolated issues with those years. Isolated wouldn't of been the term I would of used.

It seems like with all of the touch screens you either get a good one or one that will fail quickly.  My 2011 had to have the screen replaced after 50 hours.  My 2013 never had a problem and this boat has been fine as well.

• Like 2

I started this thread with the concern over the touch screen reliability.   After close to 50 hours now on my 2016 I have had ZERO issues with the touch screens.   Screens has worked flawlessly with no defects.  Upon delivery I did check the wiring under the dash and did some minor wiring management.  Not sure if that did anything but I felt better.  

Looking at many of the comments many of the 7" touch screen issues I surmise maybe related to a computer malfunction that locks up the touch screen.  I have seen that only once and it was related to the blue tooth function.  iPhone was paired and left on the house boat.  I went out of range prior to disconnecting.  Computer did not like that.  Major lock up\ freeze of computer which affected touch screens, stop\start, and power button (on dash).  This required going to battery switch to turn boat entirely off.  Waited ~30 seconds rebooted computer and had all functions return.  Discussed with the dealer who related to Malibu the issue.    I have not seen that problem occur since.  I now make sure that blue tooth devices are disconnected manually if I have computer on.  Is it possible many lock up issues are BT related?  

My 2 cents.

On August 21, 2016 at 7:14 AM, Fman said:

I am realizing more why I always do a stereo delete and seperate my stereo from Malibu integration.  Fortunately my 2015 has had no issues at all with any of the screens, but I only use the 7" for heater, blower and led lights.  Sounds like that boat will be getting a screen replacement or a software update.  Almost makes me wonder if it is more a software issue than hardware issue.

any recommendation or link to a stereo system you would install?  I have the opportunity to buy a 2016 boat with a stereo delete.  I was apprehensive, because I wanted the integration with the Malibu system.  However, you have me thinking....How much would a decent stereo system cost, 4 tower speakers etc?  

1 hour ago, Portmoody911 said:

any recommendation or link to a stereo system you would install?  I have the opportunity to buy a 2016 boat with a stereo delete.  I was apprehensive, because I wanted the integration with the Malibu system.  However, you have me thinking....How much would a decent stereo system cost, 4 tower speakers etc?  

I would recommend going with Exile or Wetsounds, I have had both and they are very nice components.  You do get more for your money with Exile, they include items WS charges extra for which start to add up.  I am a fan of the stereo delete and build your own custom system.  The EQ is so much easier with less headaches and you can still easily add bluetooth now if you choose to do so.

I've had this problem in my 15 VLX since last summer, Luckily I have a WS420, but still had to wire my amps around the malivue system, so I have to turn off my batteries to turn off the stereo.  That was fine, but now it's making it tough to even drain the ballast when it acts up

• 1 month later...

Have 2015 23 LSV. Touch screen needed replacing at about 100 hours. Was never rained on or spilled on. Was covered under warranty but......gets me thinking about after warranty. Also, engine ground wire bad....power wedge sensor needed replacing....Vault needed replacing....some cushions are falling apart.

On 5/9/2016 at 11:51 AM, IXFE said:

2016 23 LSV needed a new 7" screen at about 30 hours. Started acting up, wouldn't respond to touch sometimes, etc. And the larger screen would not respond at all. Dealer said that sadly, he knew exactly what to do. Replaced the screen and it's been fine for the 30 additional hours of use since then. On our 2013 24 MXZ, we had to replace the Maliview screen at a similar number of hours.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a new (demo with 1 hour) 25 LSV.  Love the boat but Malibu's quality control is not so good.  There are all kinds of things that are poorly done on my "new" boat that are factory issues.  I could make a list but I jumped in anyway because of the 5 year warranty and pretty good deal.

Yesterday out on the lake and my 7" screen freaked out.  Acted like the "tab" key was permanently stuck down if you were on a computer.  Just kept jumping to the next field which rendered the whole thing useless.  Couldn't use the stereo and made doing anything else tough.  It would temporarily work again if I shut everything down including the batteries but only would work for about a minute.  This is my first boat but I think I may need a new screen if this persists.  12 inch screen worked perfectly.  Anyone seen this particular problem?

It was 60 degrees out with a water temp of 65 at Lake Shasta  

When I bought my 2016 23 lsv it was in the shop at first on several occasions: oil filter gasket leaking, a ballast tank drained extremely slowly, there was no surfband module, batteries would not hold a charge, three seat skins had multiple threads coming out, several lights not working, horn when surfgate changed didn't work and etc. I am considering a 2017 23 lsv, but who knows what I might get. My dealer got sick of me and I got tired of coming back in. Finally, after 150 hours there are no issues. 

I am only at 40 hours so I guess I have a way to go:(.  I keep adding stuff to the boat so it has been to the dealer a couple of times.  The nice thing is that they will go and get it off the lift at the lake and take it into the shop.  Also means that they store my trailer for me.  Fortunately I didn't have any plans to surf and I did manage to get the heater to turn on.  We were out looking at houseboats.  

A dealer willing to go the extra mile is the only reason I've stuck with Malibu after my lemon of a boat, (2015 23 lsv).  M235 better be more reliable or I'm done with Malibu.

7" screen, 2015.  Everything is fine, but had an issue today.  Couldn't turn on the interior lights.  All other functions seemed to work fine, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get it to respond to me telling it to turn on interior lights.  Hope it was a one off or another root cause, as I don't have a trailer.

On 11/6/2016 at 1:49 PM, BruCru said:

I just bought a new (demo with 1 hour) 25 LSV.  Love the boat but Malibu's quality control is not so good.  There are all kinds of things that are poorly done on my "new" boat that are factory issues.  I could make a list but I jumped in anyway because of the 5 year warranty and pretty good deal.

Yesterday out on the lake and my 7" screen freaked out.  Acted like the "tab" key was permanently stuck down if you were on a computer.  Just kept jumping to the next field which rendered the whole thing useless.  Couldn't use the stereo and made doing anything else tough.  It would temporarily work again if I shut everything down including the batteries but only would work for about a minute.  This is my first boat but I think I may need a new screen if this persists.  12 inch screen worked perfectly.  Anyone seen this particular problem?

My 7" screen went bad at about 65 hours everything works except for the radio first couple of times I could turn off the battery switch and turned back on and it would work now it does not.. anyways dealer said they have a screen in stock and will check that it's not loose cable I doubt it because I check for those already.. and it was acting funny a few times before that..  glad I have 5yr warranty.. 

They were a few other QC issues I've noticed.. one of them like the vent Loop behind the sub is not even Mounted.. only 2 or 3 screws barely holding amp board.. falls down... A few other minor things that were easily fixed but strange how they passed an inspection.. screws dropped in cracks and crevices  during mfg.. makes ya wonder....  otherwise love the boat so far.. ready for next season!

• 7 months later...
On 2016-11-06 at 11:49 AM, BruCru said:

I'm having the exact same problem.  2015 22VLX.  140 hours.  7" screen is skipping like a keyboard key is stuck down.  We can control the stereo and some lights from the wired remote, otherwise useless.  Keypad still works for starting the engine so we're not dead in the water, but I'm dreading towing my boat 3 hours to the nearest dealer.  Following up with dealer tomorrow and hoping they can ship the part(s) directly to me (7" screen?).

I've checked the wiring and tried many reboots and battery combos.  Open to any other suggestions.  Thanks Crew, I love these posts...

5 minutes ago, TrimDawg said:

I'm having the exact same problem.  2015 22VLX.  140 hours.  7" screen is skipping like a keyboard key is stuck down.

There was a batch now known to have been bad.  I got a replacement based on serial number before I had to send in old one.  New Viper, everything is now great.

Mine was immediately replaced by the dealer over the winter.  The problems appear to have been solved in regards to the 7" screen just basically working.  I now have no left tower speakers (don't put out sound) after the new unit was put in.  I added a heater, which works great.  I also added a second GPS antenna for the chart plotter and bought what I thought was the appropriate card but it doesn't work at all.  

Basically, if the screen goes haywire you need a new one.  If you call Malibu they will want the dealer to evaluate your boat since it is a warranty issue.  Sorry man and good luck.