Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Touch Screen Reliability issues?

ORMailbuboater

We are currently waiting on our new 2016 23 LSV to arrive in the coming weeks (5/11/16 spray date).   My wife and I decided to take a drive to look at some new to us boat ramps on the river we might want to explore.  While at one marina we encountered a family trailering their brand new 2016 23 LSV from their maiden voyage.    The owner was quite upset!  They told me this is their 4th Malibu.  The 7" display screen had completely stopped functioning.  

I am getting nervous now about the reliability of the touch screen electronics.  Anyone else experiencing this type of failure?   Not looking forward to hours of travel to get warranty repairs.

My 7" is running strong without a glitch at this point. (now I know it's going to fail on me)

The 7" is a windows computer and the 12" is a secondary monitor; since it's a computer it can be very voltage sensitive as well as movement/vibration sensitive if all the connector aren't fully plugged in and tight. There was a wiring harness issue with my boat on the production line so every connection was triple checked (before someone had to run a bypass jumper wire) and that might be why I haven't had any issues. I also spent multiple hours labeling, unplugging, dressing, and reconnecting every possible wire under my dash since they kept falling down in a bundle. I don't blame Malibu for the wires falling down since I saw what they had to go through to troubleshoot the missing signal.

8 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Which launch were you at?

Sauvie Island Boat Ramp

4 minutes ago, mikeo said:

My 7" is running strong without a glitch at this point. (now I know it's going to fail on me)

The 7" is a windows compGuter and the 12" is a secondary monitor; since it's a computer it can be very voltage sensitive as well as movement/vibration sensitive if all the connector aren't fully plugged in and tight. There was a wiring harness issue with my boat on the production line so every connection was triple checked (before someone had to run a bypass jumper wire) and that might be why I haven't had any issues. I also spent multiple hours labeling, unplugging, dressing, and reconnecting every possible wire under my dash since they kept falling down in a bundle. I don't blame Malibu for the wires falling down since I saw what they had to go through to troubleshoot the missing signal.

Glad to hear you have had no issues.  Guess when I get my boat I should go do similar and check all the wiring harness.  Good idea thanks.  

6 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Only time I've had a problem with them was when it was cold, like under 40 degrees.

Good to know.  It was a nice 85 degrees yesterday.  So not temperature related.  

Different boat but my touch screen and my  center screen were both replaced just prior to the end of warranty on my 2012 VLX. My center screen had moisture in it (only noticeable on cold days sub 60*) and the touch screen due to intermittent functionality issues. Never left me stranded. I think touch screen reliability issues are just the nature of the beast. More electronics=more failures. 

• Like 1

All wake boats have electronics which are sensitive to voltage, environment, and build. I have been very impressed in Malibu's warranty, response speed, and support of my dealer fixing issues. This doesn't make the initial emotions with breakdown go away, yet those come with all boats new or old.  :Doh:

I have a 16 LSV and have zero problems with either screen. I also had a 15 LSV last season and it was great as well. 

Don't worry @ORMailbuboater. You have the best dealer in the business. Based on my experience it's unlikely you'll have an issue, but if you do AWS will more than take care of you. 

34 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I have a 16 LSV and have zero problems with either screen. I also had a 15 LSV last season and it was great as well. 

Don't worry @ORMailbuboater. You have the best dealer in the business. Based on my experience it's unlikely you'll have an issue, but if you do AWS will more than take care of you. 

Glad to hear from someone who has had zero problems for two years with the touch screens.    Also good to hear you have complete confidence in AWS.  I am sure AWS will get their boat fixed quickly and this is not normal failure issue.  

It has been awhile since I purchased a new boat.  I purchase new cars all the time and quality improved over the years.  Most of the vehicles I purchased had zero warranty issues.  Expect Malibu has quality programs in place to ensure the boats delivered are the best they can be.  They are #1 in the industry for a reason.  Thanks

7 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Glad to hear from someone who has had zero problems for two years with the touch screens.    Also good to hear you have complete confidence in AWS.  I am sure AWS will get their boat fixed quickly and this is not normal failure issue.  

It has been awhile since I purchased a new boat.  I purchase new cars all the time and quality improved over the years.  Most of the vehicles I purchased had zero warranty issues.  Expect Malibu has quality programs in place to ensure the boats delivered are the best they can be.  They are #1 in the industry for a reason.  Thanks

Malibu quality has been a topic of conversation on this forum for many years.  I'd be lying if I told you there weren't stories of guys have issues with touch screens.  I've had a screen in a new Malibu boat every year since 2012.  Only once did I have an issue (it was with the old system back in 2014).  I called AWS and they had me bring it to them that same day... I drove away with it fixed 20 minutes later.  

My perception is that the 2015/2016 screens are more reliable than the older Maliview system.  I just haven't seen nearly as many posts about issues. Here's a cool video about the development of the new system that may set your mind at ease... 

Take it away, Rachel!

• Like 1

My 7 inch screen went out in my 2015 but my dealer threw another in and it worked great.  No problems with my 16 yet....fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I am currently dealing with an issue in our '15 and we thought it was the 7" screen but it is now looking like a harness or wire issue.  My dealer has seen a few touchscreen issues but it isn't the norm by any means.  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to get another boat with a touchscreen.  

On 5/9/2016 at 8:51 AM, IXFE said:

Malibu quality has been a topic of conversation on this forum for many years.  I'd be lying if I told you there weren't stories of guys have issues with touch screens.  I've had a screen in a new Malibu boat every year since 2012.  Only once did I have an issue (it was with the old system back in 2014).  I called AWS and they had me bring it to them that same day... I drove away with it fixed 20 minutes later.  

My perception is that the 2015/2016 screens are more reliable than the older Maliview system.  I just haven't seen nearly as many posts about issues. Here's a cool video about the development of the new system that may set your mind at ease... 

Thanks for helping me put my mind at ease.  I have seen the video and it is impressive.  Sometimes things do not go as planned.  

Very excited about getting a new boat and everyone's input that reliability for the most part is very good.  And if there is a problem warranty service is excellent from AWS.  I should sleep better.  :)  Thanks

18 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Thanks for helping me put my mind at ease.  I have seen the video and it is impressive.  Sometimes things do not go as planned.  

Very excited about getting a new boat and everyone's input that reliability for the most part is very good.  And if there is a problem warranty service is excellent from AWS.  I should sleep better.  :)  Thanks

When does your boat arrive?  And where do you guys ride most often?

Hoping to see you out there this summer!

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

When does your boat arrive?  And where do you guys ride most often?

Hoping to see you out there this summer!

Spray date is scheduled for tomorrow!   Called yesterday talked to Chantel.  She says pictures of build should start coming soon.  So I am guessing 3 weeks from tomorrow!  That would be around June 1st. if all goes well.    

We typically put in on the upper Willamette River launching out of Hebb Park near Canby Ferry for "local" trips on weekend mornings.  Take a week or two at Shasta Lake in July.   Now that the "new" boat has ballast systems and plan to do much more wake surfing need to find another place to ride.  As you probably know Wake enhancement banded on that portion of the Willamette river from I5 Bridge to 10th street.  Hence the look over the weekend at Multnomah Channel\Sauvie Island.     We live on the West Side in the Cedar Mill area so have to drive to river in any direction.   Suggestions would be appreciated.    

Would love to meet up sometime this summer!   Cheers

1 hour ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Spray date is scheduled for tomorrow!   Called yesterday talked to Chantel.  She says pictures of build should start coming soon.  So I am guessing 3 weeks from tomorrow!  That would be around June 1st. if all goes well.    

We typically put in on the upper Willamette River launching out of Hebb Park near Canby Ferry for "local" trips on weekend mornings.  Take a week or two at Shasta Lake in July.   Now that the "new" boat has ballast systems and plan to do much more wake surfing need to find another place to ride.  As you probably know Wake enhancement banded on that portion of the Willamette river from I5 Bridge to 10th street.  Hence the look over the weekend at Multnomah Channel\Sauvie Island.     We live on the West Side in the Cedar Mill area so have to drive to river in any direction.   Suggestions would be appreciated.    

Would love to meet up sometime this summer!   Cheers

PM sent!

I have a new 2015 (end of year) VLX and my displays started not reacting to any touch the other day (no sun, mild temps and no water entry) - then they went completely out. I phoned the Malibu dealer and the response I got was that there are massive issues with the new displays and Malibu is trying to find a fix. The only solution for now is to replace BOTH displays - not one but both. That seems to hold for a bit but that they (Malibu Corp) is trying to find the problem. These are better than the 2011-2014's but frankly I am over touchscreen displays on boats. This issue on the 2015/2016 will continue to manifest through age. Personally I would proceed with caution.

• Like 1

First time on the water in our new 16 LSV the screens completely froze.  Both screens locked up including the engine start-stop button.  Just like your computer freezing.   Dealer said they had never seen that happen.   Powered down / switched batteries off and rebooted and all was well.  No issues since.  Made me worry about the touchscreens at the time.  Glad to hear others have a couple years worry free. 

• 2 months later...

Malibu reliability must be horrible based upon my experience with an A22 2014 and now a 2015 lsv that we bought new at the end of 2015.  Both boat had issues but the Malibu has been much worse.  Not even a year old and now the transmission is slipping, the smaller screen broke once and is acting up again; power wedge broke, and my O2 sensors alarm all the time and I get told we surf too much even though that's what the boat is designed for.  Since day one I've been having the o2 sensor issue had them attempt to fix it at least 3 different times and had all 4 sensors replaced and the POS still alarms several times a day.  

^ Probably because it is not the O2 sensors that are the problem. 75% of the time, an O2 sensor will get misdiagnosed. Something else is causing a fuel trim issue, and your O2 sensors are just doing their job by indicating a measurement out of range, and throwing a code.

I don't understand how these boat techs are not required to understand basic engine management systems. They just hook up the scan tool, see a code related to the O2 sensor, and don't bother to diagnose the actual problem (because they don't know how). There are a 1000 other things that can cause an O2 sensor code..... Ie. Misfire, MAP sensor, ECT sensor, TPS, IAT sensor, leaky injector, cracked valve, evap system problems, vacuum leak, and on and on and on.....

IMO, Malibu shouldn't really be blamed for the poor skills of an uneducated boat technician. You could blame them for the first issue, but the dealer is to blame for the same problem returning because they didn't fix it right the first time.

Edited by TenTwentyOne

Okay dealer and indmar are largely to blame for that one. However, Dealer has managed to fix all the other issues and has treated me well.  Hopefully they will finally come through.  It's not like you can switch dealers with the iron fist that Malibu manage their dealer network with

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I don't understand how these boat techs are not required to understand basic engine management systems.

TenTwentyOne you sound like you know engines. Please take a look at my thread. Thanks.