Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Problems with my 1999 Extreme Boat Trailer

2Chicks1Malibu

Hi Guys, 

This is my first time posting on here so please forgive me if maybe i should be posting somewhere else. I have a 1999 Malibu Wakesetter on the original 1999 Extreme tandem axle trailer with disc breaks. Over the last several years my bother and i have had issues with a tire popping almost every time we have taken the boat out (usually on trips over 3 hours). We have gone through 6-8 tires in the last few years. We are using quality trailer tires so that is not the issue. It is not always the same tire that pops. The tires appear to be heating up is my guess because the tread usually peels from the bead although some have completely popped past the bead. Most of the time before we have a chance to stop it will suck in the wheel well , which creates even more expense in repairs. We have had the trailer in to a marina for service and have already replaced one of the 2 axles. It doesn't appear to have anything that is touching the tire. We own a warehouse in San Diego and our employees have used a forklift with a ball on one of the forklift blades to tow the trailer in and out of the warehouse. I have seen them pushing on the boat with the breaks engaged because they didn't know about the goofy pin this trailer has to keep the breaks from engaging in reverse. I am thinking this may have caused the axles to get out of alignment. I haven't had much luck finding anyone that really seems to know how to fix this or has wanted to fix this. We have made several unsuccessful attempts and we are out of ideas.  I am wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and have any ideas for me. This issue has made towing our boat unenjoyable as we have to plan to sit on the side of the road changing out a tire nearly every time. Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing the tires to pop? Any recommendations on what to do with the trailer? Should we take it to extreme (the original manufacturer) and have them refurbish our trailer, should we just buy a new extreme trailer or does anyone know of a good place that could fix this issue? The rest of the trailer seems to be in good condition and i don't really want to spend $8000 on a new trailer to tow our $18,000 (if that) 1999 Malibu. Any input would be much appreciated. I just want to be able to take my boat out this summer and enjoy it without having to sit on the side of the freeway with a wrench and a flashlight. :cry:

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on other trailer companies that sell trailers that fit this boat if repairing our existing trailer doesn't seem to be a viable option? 

Edited by 2Chicks1Malibu

That sucks!  After twenty years of raft guiding, I have used old trailers of many types.  We always over loaded and neglected maintenance while driving very winding roads, dirt roads and speed down I-5. I've  experienced only one blowout and one major bearing failure.   I think you deserve some sort of medal or award for ur unfortunate experience!   Do you have a disgruntled employee in that warehouse or are you curbing those tires around every corner?  Good luck!

Trailers really aren't that complicated.

Does yours have oil baths, or grease fittings?

My trailer has the grease fittings, each topped off with a Bearing Buddy.  When I am pulling my boat, I typically stop periodically and walk around, putting my hand on each hub to see if they are hot.  They shouldn't be, though the hubs on the wheels with the disc brakes may be slightly warmer than those without.

Try jacking up one side of the trailer and seeing if the wheels spin freely.  If not, either the brakes are sticking, or the bearings are corroded.  But, if you've had tires blowing out on hubs without  brakes, that suggests bearings. 

Pretty simple and relatively inexpensive fix with grease fittings.  Probably more complicated with oil baths, but I'm pretty sure they can be converted.

Edited by srab

There are a dozen guys on this site alone who have had problems with trailer tires not lasting & causing headaches on the road. You are the exception in that you have 7 or 8 blown tires. Most guys get fed up after 2 or 3. Quite a few have opted to go with either car or truck tires instead. I think the best option is the all terrain tires. Personally I have Falken ZX performance car tires & have not had the problem.

As for the goofy brakes, this is something that every surge brake system on every boat trailer in the country with surge brakes has on them. There are a dozen different options to disable the brakes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22908&stc=1&

lockoutkey.jpg

5415016_large.jpg

s-l300.jpg

5pin.jpg

f433sz.png

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

How is the tread wear on the tires?  If your axles are out of alignment, you will see uneven tire wear very quickly.

As said, there isn't much to a trailer.  Do you stop and check the level of heat on the wheels when you are towing?  You can get an inexpensive heat gun from a place like Harbor Freight, but if you can't touch the wheel after towing, there is a problem.

As suggested, I would guess your problem is bad bearings or a sticky brake, or possibly a bad coupler.  Many years ago, the coupler on my folks trailer wore out, and would cause the brakes to drag.  That will heat up your tires (and bearings) very quickly.

Boy oh boy do I have the answer! I move my boats around the shop with a tractor. The tractor (or your fork lift) is capable of turning a trailer much tighter than a typical tow vehicle could. If you turn a tandem trailer too tight it will cause the tires to "scuff" sideways hard enough to tear the tread away from the tire. There is one spot in the shop where I have to turn the trailer real tight to get it to fit. Three boats in a row that were parked in that spot had the tread separate from the tire.  

12 minutes ago, skyskier said:

Boy oh boy do I have the answer! I move my boats around the shop with a tractor. The tractor (or your fork lift) is capable of turning a trailer much tighter than a typical tow vehicle could. If you turn a tandem trailer too tight it will cause the tires to "scuff" sideways hard enough to tear the tread away from the tire. There is one spot in the shop where I have to turn the trailer real tight to get it to fit. Three boats in a row that were parked in that spot had the tread separate from the tire.  

A thin layer of course sand on the floor or driveway can allow the tires to "slide" sideways, or pivot, a bit.  I push the boats around with a ball in the bucket of a tractor.  To deactivate the brakes I have a spare vehicle-side harness and energize the brake lockout with a battery in the bucket.  Sand and battery are good for maneuvering the dual axel BU but even more important for the triple axle pontoon trailer.

Assuming you have the torsion axles as opposed to leaf springs & the axles are not load sharing, when you move the trailer with the fork lift either drop the coupling down low or lift it higher to take the load off one axle making it a single axle trailer during the tight turns.

I believe you are better dropping the coupling as it turns tighter.

i am talking just to move around the shop, not while towing on  the road.