Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15 23 LSV new tower amp install - terrible noise when boat on

ThinkinBu

Had the local shop install a new RF 1000 2 to drive towers using factory speaker wire.

All amps wired to same battery.

Engine off, small hiss on Rev s that was already present.

Dropped in water and this is what the towers sound like.

th_trim.D35A12F5-4153-4182-9D0A-530DA382

Edited by ThinkinBu

I just did a quick tune on my Rev 8s with the RF 500/2 and had a similar hiss.  Had to turn the gains way down to elimate the hiss. 

Replaced the 500/2 driving the towers with a 1000/2.  Boat off - both amps give some hiss.  Boat on, no change with factory installed 500/2: new 1000/2 very loud "noise".

.....and I did turn the gain all the way down with no decrease or change.

The video link disappeared on me, but I had a horrible hiss in my speakers and I thought I had a bad amp when I built out my stereo. I chased it down to noise coming in to the amps from the remote trigger/relay lead from the RFX6000 "black box". Apparently the total amount of current needed to turn on all my amps was causing an issue with the RFX6000. I ended up running daisy-chained relay lead to all my amps, but instead of connecting it directly to the RFX6000 I connected it to a spare automotive relay I had to send trigger voltage directly from the power bus bar that I used for all the amps. The relay is grounded to the negative bus bar for the amps, and the trigger lead (for the relay) is connected to the blue remote/trigger lead from the RFX6000. Once I did this the hiss went away; I've isolated the voltage from the RFX6000 from the amps and the amps only get voltage from the battery.

I know it's a closed system, but this took care of the problem for me.

^^^^^^^  I have the same issue that I didn't notice last season.  Exact same sound but only when engine is running.  If engine is off, I have no noise.  I did install a WS 420EQ last season and pulled power off the key and put it on a switch.  All power and ground goes back to the same battery bank as the stereo.

I have the WS 420 as well.  I disconnected the RCA's to the tower amp.  No change to noise.  I do get some hiss on towers when boat off, not ideal, but tolerable (for now).  The new noise is loud and must go away.  I have the installer heading to the lake later this week.  They are not experts on boats, so any advice to share with them appreciated.

Seems like one of the big issues causing these hissing noises on boat systems is that all the devices need to be grounded to a common place. Multiple grounds doesn't seem to do well.

1 hour ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Seems like one of the big issues causing these hissing noises on boat systems is that all the devices need to be grounded to a common place. Multiple grounds doesn't seem to do well.

The grounds for all of my components are in the same common place.  The weird thing on mine is I didn't notice this issue last season and I think I would notice this.  The only addition I made to the boat was a custom sub enclosure but I didn't touch any of the wiring.

Here's a suggestion: try disconnecting all the RCA inputs to the amps (after labeling them) and see if the sound goes away. If the sound goes away the problem is in the source, if the sound stays the problem is in the amps or power system. If the sound is still there after disconnecting the RCA inputs, try moving the remote power on lead from the RFX6000 (black box) to a direct battery/bus bar connection since this is the only other cross-connect point between the amps and the signal side of the stereo system.

About 4hrs of the tech working through this on Friday with no resolution.  Working hypothesis is to replace the amp.  Spent a bunch of time checking grounding on power and rca's with no improvement.  Problem is only on tower speakers driven by new amp.  Moving tower speakers to another amp caused problem to go away.  Hope new amp solves the problem.  It is unworkable at the moment.

How about moving an in-boat speaker or two to the suspect amp and see if the noise is now present in a speaker that previously had no noise. If you had similar noise from original amp, this seems to eliminate the new amp as an issue. I would suspect that increase in the noise is due to now having 2x the wattage. The new amp has, well, amplified the noise. Seems upstream to me.

Not sure if the installer moved the in boat speakers to the suspect amp as I was not with him the entire time.  Of course this makes sense.

The hiss has never gone away in two different boats (MC and BU) that have Rev 8's; two completely different installs/amps/etc.  The new noise is not louder hiss and is only present when the boat is on.  Direct wiring to battery increased the new noise, wiring post battery switch decreased slightly, but no change in sound.

I can say without a doubt, the speakers are not creating the noise, but simply reproducing the signal presented to them. A low level constant (not tied to engine rpm) hiss thats soon drowned out once the music volume starts to increase, is more along the lines of gain hiss, or excessive gain. 

Not suggesting rev are causing the noise only that I have experienced the same hiss across two boats with different installs which was not me.  The new noise is now present after installer added a new amp for the towers. Listen to the video, the speakers are ringing with engine on.  All good with engine off.

I had a similar engine noise and the fine folks here had me run a dedicated line from battery breaker output (positive, not ground) to the 420 and the head end.  I thought I was on the same battery, but the dedicated line cured my engine noise issue.  Just my experience.

I had already run a dedicated ground from the main amp, so that was right as well.

• 4 years later...

Sorry in advance for bringing up an old issue, but I am having the exact same issue as ThinkinBU.  There is a very high pitched squeal, exactly like the Youtube video above, only when the engine is running.  It is not there immediately upon starting the engine, but after a few minutes it shows up and will usually be there the rest of the day.  Noise does not fluctuate with engine speed.  Just curious is this issue was resolved for ThinkinBU, and if so, what cured it? 

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update on my noise issue.  Moving the Ground Isolation Jumper inside the WS 420 EQ seems to have resolved the noise issue.  Opening the guts up of the EQ, the jumper looks to have three positions, GND, ISO and 220, but there are only two positions GND and 220.  Moving the jumper to 220 is the isolation spot.  Wetsounds instructions are lacking on this, they just state that the jumper exists, but they don't explain the positions.  Shout out to Michael Sims at Mike's Liquid Audio in Gastonia, NC for helping me figure it out.

• Like 1