Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got an 05 VLX and have some stereo questions

sleven36

Hello everyone.  As this is my first post I would just like to say you guys are a wealth of information and its a lot of help.  My brother and I just purchased an 05 Wakesetter VLX a couple of months ago and we are working to get it ready for the season.  The stereo that came with the boat just would not do as me and my brother both enjoy decent sound systems.  Now we are trying to do this one somewhat of a budget since we've spent a decent amount of money already on ballast, boards, ect.  So I took to craigslist and ebay to find the best deals I could.  As of right now our stereo build consists of the following: 

4 Wet Sounds SW-65i for in boats

4 Wet Sounds Pro-80's for tower speakers (got a killer deal)

Wet Sounds Syn 4

Wet Sounds HT6

1 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 in a prefabbed vented box

1 Rockford fosgate 

Pioneer 400w mono amp

The in boat speakers and the pro-80's were picked up so we could have something decent this season without breaking the bank, they will most likely be replaced with four of the 100w 6.5's and 2 Rev-10's next season. For now I was thinking about running the in boat speakers on the HT-4.  I know that is way over kill for those 60w speakers but I figure I can turn the gains down and they should be fine.  This will also leave an extra channel should we decide to add bow speakers next season.  That leaves the Syn 4 to power the four pro-80's.  Now I know that those pro 80's are 200w rms and if i run all four of them off the syn 4 they will only get 125w each, leaving them very under powered.  Would it be a better idea to ditch two of them and run one pair bridged and getting 400w each? Then they would be slightly over powered but again I could turn the gains down and be careful with them.  Or is there another set up option that I am missing here? 

Right now all the amps will be running through the stock sony deck which is less than ideal but we just couldnt spring for the WS-420BT just yet.  however if we sold tow of the pro-80's and the clamps we could probably pony up for one.  If not it will be next season.  I know the sub and amp should work out well because I have the exact set up in my car and it slams.  Anyway sorry for the long post.  Thank you guys for any help.  Pics of said boat:

36737ED9-49D6-4FD6-866B-0BC5BD25171E_1.j

CFC45570-11C3-471F-8453-19A416DB10EC.jpg

25FABDB5-FAF3-4D95-8EAC-B02D8C5A54B8_1.j

Edited by sleven36

Welcome and congrats on the new boat! Seems like you have a good handle on the setup. Cheaper ways to control zones than a WS-420 so keep your 80s and get a summer of experience under your belts before buying more audio stuff. Enjoy.