Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Locking Fuel Cap?

Shodan01

Have a 2016 24MXZ - found my cap open and about 1/4 tank gone.  It could be the guy who pressure washed my dock, for the pressure washer (would have been nice if he had told me), or somebody pulled up to the dock and stole some gas.  Wouldn't be a big deal, but I run premium for the Rouscharged engine.  Anybody know of a locking gas cap?  

I thought about hooking up the lithium jump pack to the cap but an explosion would be ineviditble....lol  

Thanks!

You are too nice - that's a VERY big deal in my world!! Maybe mount a game camera on your tower, they will be back!

Motion detector with silent pager alarm...+ Glock = no more problem! :whistle:  Sorry to hear about that.  I hate thieves worse than anything.

I have a Canary camera system at the lake house, and can set an alarm for motion.  Need to see if my wifi will work down there.  I will be up there next weekend and see if it happened again!  Not a Glock Fan but my Kimber will do the trick too!

Just now, oldjeep said:

unfortunately it doesn't look like there is any locking solution for the flip up fillers that the new boats have.

Seems like using the locking caps I listed above it would work the same as the screw on filers the older boats have.

11 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Seems like using the locking caps I listed above it would work the same as the screw on filers the older boats have.

The fillers on the new boats are more than just a simple fuel fill, they also handle the venting.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

The fillers on the new boats are more than just a simple fuel fill, they also handle the venting.

Check the other side; My '15 has a vent next to the filler on the port side, it's the funny fitting with the allen head on it. (red circle) Did Malibu change the cap for '16? My '15 is a flip-up style and I thought I'd seen a locking version of it before.

fuel_vent.thumb.jpg.77b6c212b4d322bb97aa

3 minutes ago, mikeo said:

Found it, our friends at Bake's Marine have a locking gas cap for Malibu/Axis boats:

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1633

I'd call to confirm the screw pattern and hose size for your boat, also you may need two since I believe all the boat have "twin" fill caps (one on each side).

That's similar to the Seadog except it's black. Seadogs are chrome.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

@Bill_AirJunky I missed your link to the Sea Dog, that's a nice cap. Does it have a retainer chain? I wouldn't want to see the cap end up in the river/lake below the gas dock (with the rest of the keys on the keychain!)

1 hour ago, mikeo said:

@Bill_AirJunky I missed your link to the Sea Dog, that's a nice cap. Does it have a retainer chain? I wouldn't want to see the cap end up in the river/lake below the gas dock (with the rest of the keys on the keychain!)

Yes, they have retainer cables (not a chain).

7 hours ago, mikeo said:
7 hours ago, mikeo said:

Check the other side; My '15 has a vent next to the filler on the port side, it's the funny fitting with the allen head on it. (red circle) Did Malibu change the cap for '16? My '15 is a flip-up style and I thought I'd seen a l

unless im mistaken, the side vent is the one for the charcoal canister and there is also a vent line to the filler. I know mine has the vopr because you can see it on the underside of the cap. If it is not a vopr ( Vacuum Over Pressure Relief valves) fill then you could just use this lock insert.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/fills_and_vents/207/locking_fuel_fill_insert/

Edited by oldjeep
5 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

But if you ever need to siphon your tank, might be a problem removing these?

From the install video it looks like you would need to disconnect your fill line from the fill fitting to get them back out.  But I guess if I really ever wanted to siphon my tank I would pull the floor plate and empty the tank through the sender hole.

Edited by oldjeep
4 hours ago, Shodan01 said:

Im curious if anyone tried this!  Looks simple, but would keep larger hoses from getting down.

Had one I a car maybe 30 or 40 years ago, worked well, couldn't get a hose past it.

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

From the install video it looks like you would need to disconnect your fill line from the fill fitting to get them back out.  But I guess if I really ever wanted to siphon my tank I would pull the floor plate and empty the tank through the sender hole.

That's how the locking caps are installed too.

Looks simple enough - I am hoping that this was a once in 3 year item and won't happen again, but if it does I will check into it!....

11 hours ago, Shodan01 said:

Looks simple enough - I am hoping that this was a once in 3 year item and won't happen again, but if it does I will check into it!....

Good luck with that. Since I installed mine, other boats on my dock have been hit twice.

20 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Good luck with that. Since I installed mine, other boats on my dock have been hit twice.

I know - its nuts - Gas Prices are cheap relatively to a few years ago in SC.  Its just a royal pain to deal with this bull crap.