Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dfw lakes to live on

joshuadale07

My wife and I are currently looking to relocate to the dfw area. I think I have her convinced to purchase a home on the water. We have 2 young kids (3 and 1). What lakes in the area do y'all have good experiences with? Currently we are looking at granbury or eagle mountain. Thanks in advance! 

I'm on Granbury and we love this lake and the town. We have several friends from Midland here as well. There are a lot of things to do here for being a small town. There a few places to stay away from as far as housing like any where. Lots of Malibu people here too!

As Ronnie said, do your research on granbury, a lot of those homes weren't waterfront 2 years ago.  Eagle mountain has a lot of nice homes on it but lake worth (5 min away) is wayyy better for any type of water sports.

That's hardly fair, most area lakes with homes lost their waterfront 2 years ago. Before the drought our record low was 7' low and most times never more than 3'. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

That's hardly fair, most area lakes with homes lost their waterfront 2 years ago. Before the drought our record low was 7' low and most times never more than 3'. 

Ronnie, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Brazos River Authority strike a deal a couple years back to  sell a lot more water than they should?  We've had flooding seasons the last 2 years so it hasn't affected the lake a ton but aren't they no longer concerned with keeping the lake at its normal level or was that just a rumor?  I know a ton of homes on that lake are back in canals that are less than 10 feet deep and that would be my concern buying a home there.  You'd prob be fine on open water.  I do like the lake for riding.

Yes they did get the approval to sell more hard water but the results were really blown way out of context by the press and some of the opposing factions that were against it. I wouldn't say they were allowed to sell more than they should. They were approved for it by the State and TECQ after all the studies were done. We now have a rule from the BRA that states PK has to keep passing water to us. The rule is now we stay 1' down for every 1.5' on PK. The real issue was that the BRA stopped generating electricity at the PK dam. That stopped the historic flow from PK until this new rule was established. Before that we could lose water levels and PK could be full. Not any longer.

Thanks for the info guys. I have heard good things about granbury. Although most Texas lakes have had water shortages or severely low levels, it's something that come with the territory I guess. I have seen a few that I have looked at online that you can tell the dock is only on 5-7ft of water and with any sort of low level the boat would be stuck on the lift. I'm not sure the time frame. This move is just kinda for a change of scenery and the west Texas oil fields are wearing me out. I still need to Apply for jobs in this area and see what happens, and my wife owns her own business which she could easily move. I'm tired of driving 2-3hrs to go boating and there is nothing keeping us here anymore. We may try to make a trip over there here in the next month or so, if we do I'll let y'all know and we can meet up on the water!