Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A Very Bad Noise

98 Sunsetter LX with the 325 Monsoon.

Did the summerizing yesterday and was pleased to see my baby start just fine and with no leaks.

However . . . .

Just to check, I put her into gear and heard the most awful squealing noise I have ever heard. Of course, I slammed her back to neutral faster than Wonder Woman (Angelina Jolie) could. So, what's up??

Is is just becasue Iwas out of the water and the shaft and seal need to be lubricated by water? Or do I have a serious issue with the tranny?

Appreciate any and all help here.

Most likely just strut squeal. The strut bearing surface is lubricated by the water. Launch the boat and see what happens. My guess is everything is fine. Obviously, you checked the tranny fluid levels?

Most likely just strut squeal.  The strut bearing surface is lubricated by the water.  Launch the boat and see what happens.  My guess is everything is fine.  Obviously, you checked the tranny fluid levels?

Same thing happened to me the one time I put it in gear when strut was dry. I'm sure your fine, as long as you put it right back in neutral like you said you did. There was a discussion about this on the old site, and some people were talking about you need to lube that bearing with soap and water continuously to put it in gear out of the water, but I don't think it's worth it.

Try this:

Try to spin you prop by hand before you launch one day. You'll feel the friction on the shaft, and hear the likely source of your noise. Then, after a day on the water, spin it by hand again before the bearig has time to dry. You'll feel a big difference.

Edited by rts

Never put it in gear when out of the water. It was the strut bearing squealing for mercy. Running it dry will eat it fast just like it will eat the raw water impeller.

Yep, tranny fluid level and color just exactly where it needs to be.

On that topic, how often should you change the transmission fluid and how?

I'm sure it is the strut bearing also - no water as mentioned above!

Try spraying some wd-40 on it and try again real quick. this will reassure you where it was coming from. I always spray mine whenever starting the engine out of the water, as sometimes the prop will turn slightly even out fo gear.

Baddog, manual says 300 hrs or annually for the fluid change. If you don't have an oil extractor use a turkey baster. Replace exactly the same amount of fluid.

Yep, tranny fluid level and color just exactly where it needs to be.

On that topic, how often should you change the transmission fluid and how?

Ya know there's been a lot of discussion about that in various threads. Use a turkey baster to draw the old fluid out through the fill cap. Then replace the same amount of fluid. There is a screen/filter in the tranny, but it is a bear to remove and replace and is best left to your dealer IMO. I follow the manual with regard to schedule. Some people like to change the tranny fluid more often. Whatever floats your boat!

Just to check, I put her into gear and heard the most awful squealing noise I have ever heard. Of course, I slammed her back to neutral faster than Wonder Woman (Angelina Jolie) could. So, what's up??

I did the same thing once. Scares the heckoutofya but no long term effects. Just don't do it again!

Don't do that or strut bearing replacement will follow. I have always changed tranny fluid when I change engine oil, every 50 hours. Go buy a fluid suction pump from any autoparts store ($20) and suck out the oil through the fill hole. Put the used oil in a container so you can measure how much came out. Then put the same amount back in. This can be a little messy so put some paper towels down in the bilge first. The job should take 15 to 30 minutes from start to cleanup.

You can run it out of water but keep this in mind:

1. Make sure you're providing water to the engine using a fake-a-lake.

2. Have someone spray a hose on the strut when you put it in gear and keep the water running on it.

3. Don't do it for too long (15/20 seconds) and don't rev the motor over about 1500 rpms.

4. STAY AWAY FROM THE PROP!

Edited by jklein

Regarding fluid removal...I have a 10 foot length of 3/8 inch cleqr plastic tubing. One end goes in the fill hole the other through the drain hole. Get a siphon going ( the red fluid is easy to spot as it approaches) and it is pretty quick clean work.

You can run it out of water but keep this in mind:

4.  STAY AWAY FROM THE PROP!

That prop gets a-spinnin', the family pooch walks back there and "BAM", no more Fido. Malibu gets sued because, being an evil corporation, they were too cheap to print a sticker warning you to keep Fido in the backyard while spinning the propeller in your driveway at 4000 rpm's. Next thing you know it takes eight months to peel off all the warning stickers.... Tongue.gif . Seriously though, there's no reason to run it in gear when not in the water. You're just asking for trouble.

Regarding fluid removal...I have a 10 foot length of 3/8 inch cleqr plastic tubing. One end goes in the fill hole the other through the drain hole.

What drain hole?  I thought there was just one "hole" on the tranny?

ICBW but I think mschofield was referring to one end going in the tranny and the other end going through the drain hole in the bottom of the bilge, down to a container below the boat.

Peace. mb :)