Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

misfire trouble code?

My first season with the new boat isnt working out so hot! Dangit. So Got the error code today, SPN 65596 FMI 7. mechanical system not responding properly. I had a surfer in tow, all tanks filled included PNP, wedge at max pull or basically a 45 degree angle, and the boat did not want to hit 10.8, it did about 10.3 then i moved the wedge down one click to help it a little and something was like BOOM and the boat slowed all the way down to basically an idle. We thought we hit a tree or log underwater but found zero damage to the prop or anything. When I tried a test hit again it just seemed to kind of chug a little or vibrate. Maybe what you would feel if either a cylinder is misfiring or you had a bent prop or prop shaft. 

I did some research and it looks as though that could be a trouble code for cylinder 6 misfire? Can this happen if the plug or wire somehow get wet? I know one of my ballast bags has an issue with the fitting that lets some water out. I've also read that the wires should probably be upgraded to the 8mm from 7mm. The last issue I noticed was the surfgate port side doesnt look fully retracted. Not sure why it is like that but its basically out maybe a half to a full inch further from the swim deck than the starboard side. Do I need to do a recalibrate?

2014 23lsv marine power 450 corvette motor

Edited by kwebster1

This is only a guess, but the only thing I can come up with that could give a "mechanical system not responding properly" for a specific cylinder would be the fuel injector.

Yes, but just wanted to see if others have had the issue. Also don't want to drive 6 hours for something dumb like a plug wire if that were the case. 

I did just read another thread about someone having trash in the fuel system. I wonder if that could be it. 

• 1 month later...

I had one on cylinder 3 last week - cause seemed to be a corroded distributor cap.  Haven't cold started it enough times to clear the code but seems like it must be fixed.

Edited by oldjeep

hmmm. My alarm turned on while a surfer was in tow. We stopped, drained the bags.... Instant party stopper! It drove fine for about 5 minutes as I headed back to the pier and then it started to skip a little and then lost most of its power and would not go over 15mph. It's at the dealership being assessed and hopefully fixed. Everything I have read on this site shows a different outcome. Hopefully mine is simple. I have only put 23 hours on the boat since purchased, spending this kind of money on a boat and having an issue like this has me a bit on edge. I had tri-toon with a  150hp Mercury, it had a little over 400 hours and never had any problems, so I may be a bit spoiled.

Just now, papasurf said:

hmmm. My alarm turned on while a surfer was in tow. We stopped, drained the bags.... Instant party stopper! It drove fine for about 5 minutes as I headed back to the pier and then it started to skip a little and then lost most of its power and would not go over 15mph. It's at the dealership being assessed and hopefully fixed. Everything I have read on this site shows a different outcome. Hopefully mine is simple. I have only put 23 hours on the boat since purchased, spending this kind of money on a boat and having an issue like this has me a bit on edge. I had tri-toon with a  150hp Mercury, it had a little over 400 hours and never had any problems, so I may be a bit spoiled.

Sounds like yours actually went into limp mode.  Mine did not do that, I assume it was a one or two time problem because it still ran fine with alarm going off ever 6-7 minutes.

Loose coil wire resulted in fouled plug. Fixed. Thanks for the quick responses, gentlemen. I am adding the codes I found below for a quick search to help others later.

SPN 65590 FMI 7 Misfire

SPN 65591 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 1

SPN 65592 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 2

SPN 65593 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 3

SPN 65594 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 4

SPN 65595 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 5

SPN 65596 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 6

SPN 65597 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 7

SPN 65598 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder 8

SPN 65599 FMI 7 Misfire cylinder Random

• 1 year later...

I have a 2014 24 MXZ w/450 Monsoon and am getting the 65599 code.  Dealer has been troubleshooting it, but whatever throws the code isn't showing up, so it's tough to track down.  Has anybody had any luck with fixing the 65599?

Maybe fuel pressure regulator.  I just fixed mine. Threw a 65592 FMI 7. I pulled all my injectors cleaned and flow tested and reinstalled. Got the same code. Switched #2 injector with #5 and tried again and got the same code.  In the end, it was a combination of stuck fuel pressure regulator and a bad cap and rotor.  So, you might check the fuel pressure at the shader valve and if you are at 58 at key up and 59-61 at full throttle, your regulator is functioning fund and maybe caused by bad cap & rotor since code is "random" misfire.. definetly sounds fuel related, but could be a faulty cap & rotor. Also check your wires to make sure they are not breaking down under load. When were they replaced last? Good luck! 

• 2 years later...

Fat Sack was my root cause. Thx for good info. After changing my #8 plug and swapping wires. I noticed that there was water on engine. Found that when my left extra soft fat sack filled, it was shooting water onto engine. Fixed connector and performance issue disappeared. Now Im waiting thru the 3 temp cycles to hopefully lose the alarm.

• 1 year later...

Had this code show up today (spn:65592 fm1:7) while surfing (showing cylinder #2).   Boat is in limp mode (won’t go above 16 mph)   Hoping it is dirty injector and will be resolved with a fuel cleaner but might be plug and / or wire...

if it is a plug and/or wire replacement, any insights on how easy this maybe? Anyone know which is cylinder #2 on the Indmar 6.0L engine?

The boat is in the marina and I am hoping to get solved ASAP for the upcoming long wknd without have take it out of water, pull it back home and into the shop  

any insights would be much appreciated! 

2012 LSV with Indmar 6.0L engine

Edited by CjCeuls
  • 1 month later...

Having the same problem as kwebster1 with my 2013 MXZ same error code 65597 fmI:7.  I Have change plugs and wires and cant get rid of the active code. Also switched out the direct to ignition coil on that cylinder and still getting the same fault code. I Have the monsoon 409ss engine. Also experiencing  the same issue with pulling a wake surfer and boat seems to go into a  limp mode and won't go over 10mph. With no load Engine seems to run smooth no misfire etc. Also runs 42mph clean with no wedge or ballast. But with Ballast tanks full boat seems to bog down under load. With the Surf preset engaged and speed control set at 11 or 12 mph the boat won't get up to speed or above 10 mph, however,  if I disengage the speed control and give it full throttle it seems to rev up to speed. Any suggestion on both these issues thought initially they were related however now not sure.

• 7 months later...

Issue ended up being a spark plug.   Replacing plug (and wire) resolved issue. 
After running back to city to get correct parts the fix only took 1/2 hour or so (note: pulled boat out of water after the long weekend and changed the rest of the plugs and wires) 

important - after we changed out the bad spark plug we had to run the boat thru three ignition cycles for the code to clear and the boat to take itself out of limp mode. 

Hope this info is helpful to someone else 

• 1 year later...

July 4th weekend here at the lake for vacation.  Malibu wakesetter ran fine 2 weeks ago. First day at the lake go the SPN 65591 FMI 7 code and typically will see 43-45 MPH at full throttle and are at 34-36 MPH.  Have changed plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, and switched fuel injectors from cylinder 1 to another cylinder to see if the same code was there and it was consistently SPN 65591 FMI 7 which we found a post saying that is misfire on cylinder 1.  Each time we change something, we tested out on the lake and still do not have full power and still have the error code.  Any ideas as we are looking at a lake trip with the family without the boat?  Thanks.

Edited by MadNobRye

Strange one ....to recap Changed spark plugs then swapped wires then distributer cap and rotor then swapped injectors between cylinder 1 and another cylinder. Everytime tested it and usually 43 mph full throttle but had 36 instead so not full power.

Checked compression every cylinder 180 psi and through injector cleaner in fuel for good measure.

Our software engineer son thought fault code was just sticking in there.

I think he was right as the codes for when we were compression testing (injector wires all disconnected and such) were staying active even after cycling power on and off 3 times and driving it and powering completely off and on over 3 times. 

Thought we would just drive since compression test was good and we watched gauges closely for any sign of an issue.  Drove it hard then pulling a skier and cycled through power on and off again more than 3 times.  Code still all active but power now back at 43 mph top speed so continued on with skiing and wake boarding and silencing the alarm. Real test will be today if we can wake surf.

Really odd and I hate that we really don't know what fixed it and when we pull it out we can go to a marina to get the code cleared.

Fault code was SPN 65591 FMI 7.

22 hours ago, MadNobRye said:

July 4th weekend here at the lake for vacation.  Malibu wakesetter ran fine 2 weeks ago. First day at the lake go the SPN 65591 FMI 7 code and typically will see 43-45 MPH at full throttle and are at 34-36 MPH.  Have changed plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, and switched fuel injectors from cylinder 1 to another cylinder to see if the same code was there and it was consistently SPN 65591 FMI 7 which we found a post saying that is misfire on cylinder 1.  Each time we change something, we tested out on the lake and still do not have full power and still have the error code.  Any ideas as we are looking at a lake trip with the family without the boat?  Thanks.

32 minutes ago, MadNobRye said:

Strange one ....to recap Changed spark plugs then swapped wires then distributer cap and rotor then swapped injectors between cylinder 1 and another cylinder. Everytime tested it and usually 43 mph full throttle but had 36 instead so not full power.

Checked compression every cylinder 180 psi and through injector cleaner in fuel for good measure.

Our software engineer son thought fault code was just sticking in there.

I think he was right as the codes for when we were compression testing (injector wires all disconnected and such) were staying active even after cycling power on and off 3 times and driving it and powering completely off and on over 3 times. 

Thought we would just drive since compression test was good and we watched gauges closely for any sign of an issue.  Drove it hard then pulling a skier and cycled through power on and off again more than 3 times.  Code still all active but power now back at 43 mph top speed so continued on with skiing and wake boarding and silencing the alarm. Real test will be today if we can wake surf.

Really odd and I hate that we really don't know what fixed it and when we pull it out we can go to a marina to get the code cleared.

Fault code was SPN 65591 FMI 7.

I had the same fault code on my 2008 (cyl #1 misfire).  Definitely felt a power drop/poor performance when the code popped up the first time.  I changed cap and rotor and all plugs.  I bought new plug wires too but decided to see if the cap/rotor/plugs fixed my issue, which it did.  Boat runs perfect, and just as strong as before.  I've since done multiple cold starts and it still shows the code as active, but the boat runs perfect.  I'll try one more weekend and see if it still shows active.  If it does I'll try swapping the plug wires since I already bought them.  Worst case I may have to find someone @ the lake with a scanner to clear it for me.  Glad to hear it sounds like you solved your problem. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 6:51 AM, EchelonMike said:

I had the same fault code on my 2008 (cyl #1 misfire).  Definitely felt a power drop/poor performance when the code popped up the first time.  I changed cap and rotor and all plugs.  I bought new plug wires too but decided to see if the cap/rotor/plugs fixed my issue, which it did.  Boat runs perfect, and just as strong as before.  I've since done multiple cold starts and it still shows the code as active, but the boat runs perfect.  I'll try one more weekend and see if it still shows active.  If it does I'll try swapping the plug wires since I already bought them.  Worst case I may have to find someone @ the lake with a scanner to clear it for me.  Glad to hear it sounds like you solved your problem. 

Did you ever find a scanner to delete this code?  Does anyone know where to pull in at?  Ive searched all over and cant find anything as far as plugging into the engine to run diagnostics.