Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Picking a New Sub

Roush611

The subwoofer in the boat I just purchased is absolutely trashed. It is a 12" JL w0 or w3 I think. I have not pulled it out yet as it still somewhat works. I am looking to keep the price of a new one under $200 as funds are tight after buying the boat and spending a ton on being anal. It will be going in the same sealed box the current one is in.  The amp that is powering it is an old school Apline mrv-1000.

The two options I am currently looking at are...

Alpine Type R 

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWR-12D4-Type-R-Subwoofer-4-ohm/dp/B007XW2WTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462507326&sr=8-1&keywords=alpine+type+r+12

Soundstream t.5 (can be found for about $180)

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-T5-152-600W-Tarantula-Subwoofer/dp/B00WFFAEOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462507398&sr=8-1&keywords=soundstream+t5

I am open for other options as well. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Roush611

I picked up a used 12" JL Audio W6v2 when I was redoing my stereo. It sounds amazing I could not be any happier with it.

A JL w3 or WetSounds XS12 will be better than the woofers you mentioned. They both are a big step from the W0 also. If it is a W3 already, For a seat of pants difference is to get the JL w6 and a JL 750.1. Then the WS XXX is the next level after that.  Remember you get what you pay for. 

If you want to keep the current enclosure and amplifier a W3 is as big as I would go. Problem is, I would find out if the enclosure was the cause of the woofer being trashed by checking for leaks or damage to enclosure. If nothing it may of been user abuse so you can just replace. Anything else needs a new amplifier also. 

10 hours ago, Roush611 said:

The subwoofer in the boat I just purchased is absolutely trashed. It is a 12" JL w0 or w3 I think. I have not pulled it out yet as it still somewhat works. I am looking to keep the price of a new one under $200 as funds are tight after buying the boat and spending a ton on being anal. It will be going in the same sealed box the current one is in.  The amp that is powering it is an old school Apline mrv-1000.

The two options I am currently looking at are...

Alpine Type R 

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWR-12D4-Type-R-Subwoofer-4-ohm/dp/B007XW2WTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462507326&sr=8-1&keywords=alpine+type+r+12

Soundstream t.5 (can be found for about $180)

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-T5-152-600W-Tarantula-Subwoofer/dp/B00WFFAEOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462507398&sr=8-1&keywords=soundstream+t5

I am open for other options as well. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Those both have fiber cones.  Not a good idea on an open boat.

Keep checking this site.  Lots of guys upgrading subs all the time.  I've bought a Rockford and a Wet Sounds sub from TMC members.  Great deals.  Both like new.

10 hours ago, Jayme_B said:

I picked up a used 12" JL Audio W6v2 when I was redoing my stereo. It sounds amazing I could not be any happier with it.

2 hours ago, Truekaotik said:

A JL w3 or WetSounds XS12 will be better than the woofers you mentioned. They both are a big step from the W0 also. If it is a W3 already, For a seat of pants difference is to get the JL w6 and a JL 750.1. Then the WS XXX is the next level after that.  Remember you get what you pay for. 

If you want to keep the current enclosure and amplifier a W3 is as big as I would go. Problem is, I would find out if the enclosure was the cause of the woofer being trashed by checking for leaks or damage to enclosure. If nothing it may of been user abuse so you can just replace. Anything else needs a new amplifier also. 

2 hours ago, NHolladay said:

W6v3 with a 600 or 750.1.  That is where it is at. Will definitely pou d as hard as you want it to.

Where are you all finding w6's for around $200 though? I would love a w6 but everywhere I look they are $350+ used.

I picked up a 12" Type-R on craigslist with a box that fit perfectly in the boat .... for $40 it works great for me, I would buy again if I could.

11705288_10100727207104782_7199402032683

Thanks for all the replies. I looked pretty hard in Northern CA for a W6 in my price range and was not able to find anything. I wound up getting a brand new Arc Audio Black Series 12V2 D4. Got it for $180 so I am happy. 

F74C1F5C-E5E3-4E19-BF6B-C2F66C683D5D_zps

• Like 2