Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

10/20 hour Service - How much?

10/20 Hour Service  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How much did it cost (for 05/06 boats) at the dealer?

• $0 - I did it myself, so only paid for fluids / filters
    • $0 - Dealer did it for free since I just bought the boat
    • <$100 at the dealer
    • $101 - $150 at the dealer
    • $151 - $200 at the dealer
    • $201 - $250 at the dealer
    • $251 - $300 at the dealer
    • $301 - $350 at the dealer
    • $351 - $400 at the dealer
    • $401 - $450 at the dealer
    • $451 - $500 at the dealer
    • >$501 at the dealer
    • I don't have an 05 or 06, but wanted answer the poll anyway
  2. 2. Did you clean the v-drive / transmission screen?

• Yes, included in service by dealer
    • Yes, did it myself
    • No, not done
    • I don't know
    • Not applicable

Interested in what folks are paying for their first service either this season or last (so for 05 or 06 boats).

If your dealer really cleaned the V-drive filter, he is rare. On my 2004 VLX, I finally got the dealer to admit they just changed the fluid via an Oilboy...sucked it out. They never pull the fliter. Told me that a few owners insist on it and then they usually have a real tough time getting it sealed up again - if they can access the filter. Malibu fits that drivetrain in there so tight that its really hard to do most anything. Now I just change the fluid myself every season.

If your dealer really cleaned the V-drive filter, he is rare. On my 2004 VLX, I finally got the dealer to admit they just changed the fluid via an Oilboy...sucked it out. They never pull the fliter. Told me that a few owners insist on it and then they usually have a real tough time getting it sealed up again - if they can access the filter. Malibu fits that drivetrain in there so tight that its really hard to do most anything. Now I just change the fluid myself every season.

I think this is true of almost all the dealers. I don't think changing the filter is worth the time or effort.

good question.

I asked my dealer for a list of items and an approx. price (so i could be prepared). So, at the 20 hour service here it's $305.00.

my question is, if i dont have any warranty items, do i have to have it done by the dealer???

I have a great shop down the street, they always have treated me right and they get my boat back to me ASAP. So why not give them the list and let them do it and have it back in a few days vs. weeks?

Anyone else out there who has someone other than the dealer service thier boat?? (scheduled maint.)

btw, 19.5 hrs, almost there!

Yeah!!! it rained today!! (our lake is down @30').

I had a MC dealer do my 20 hour service on my 05 last year (they were much more convenient based on where the boat was at the time - a few hours away from home), and all was fine with it. They are an Indmar dealer, and since the engine warranty is by Indmar, I figured I was fine.

took mine in this morning to my local guy, he did the list of items for $166! AND i had it back in the afternoon! he didnt change the transmission fluid, but said it looked fine, and that's usually a 100 hr item.

This okay? Biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
took mine in this morning to my local guy, he did the list of items for $166! AND i had it back in the afternoon! he didnt change the transmission fluid, but said it looked fine, and that's usually a 100 hr item.

This okay? Biggrin.gif

I am a tech for John Deere/Hitachi and Deere owns a portion of ZF. Deere and ZF both agree that the first initial break in period is a crucial time to get that oil out of the trans/axle/gear box, for several reasons. One is that any imperfections in gears/clutches/shafts/or even flashing's in the housings can break of and become floating love chunks for your component. Your oil will have an excessive amount of metal particles at the specified break-in period (fact). Bad, bad for clutch discs/bearings, maybe not see any problems for some time. But it is like being obese; taking time off your life or the life of your geared component, for not taking care of it. Basically change that oil.

• 6 months later...

For the 1st four seasons I had my Bu, I pulled the screen out during my transmission fluid change at seasons end. Every time it was spotless and the fluid was like new. From now on I am just going with the turkey baster idea for fluid changes and also do it every other year now that I am confident that the transmission has no problems. I will probably check the screen every 4 or 5 years. This project was not too hard with the direct drive, being I have about 2 or 3 inches under the trans for working room. On the topic, I did my own 10 hour service as soon as I got home from vacation, but the motor had 25 hours on it. It was a cold and rainy two weeks. My dealer is 100 miles away and I do all my own work anyway.

Edited by electricjohn