Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how to run/route multiple RCA cables?

southernfried

I really tried to use the search function but didn't have much luck. I have an 02 VLX that I recently got. Slowly fine-tuning everything and decided to add the Clarion EQ I've seen others talk about. I would really like to mount it on the driver side but my issue is RCA cables.

It has 3 amps under the passenger dash. I've seen the other cables routed under the ski locker from side to side but there's no way I can fit 3 more sets of RCA cables the same path as the existing wires. I currently have the EQ mounted on the passenger side which isn't a huge deal, just looking for a tad more accessibility. I looked under the driver dash and saw the lines for the ballast bags(assuming) but didn't want to jump in there and disconnect those hoses before I've even filled them up. Maybe I'm overthinking but looking for any advice.

I had room through the ski locker, but didn't want my RCA cables right next to the battery cables.  If you are going through and EQ you shouldn't have to worry about any drop in the line output of the RCAs...  Get some really long RCAs and run them up around the bow, there is a huge space under the "step" surface

4 minutes ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

I had room through the ski locker, but didn't want my RCA cables right next to the battery cables.  If you are going through and EQ you shouldn't have to worry about any drop in the line output of the RCAs...  Get some really long RCAs and run them up around the bow, there is a huge space under the "step" surface

Two of these gives you six cables - enough for cabin, sub, and tower.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-100126-25-Feet-Dubbing-Composite/dp/B003L14XNA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Would it destroy the audio quality if I just cut the heads off one end, ran them and splice it backed together? 

Not sure I can run RCA from AMP area to the front, haven't seen how just yet. I'll take a better look.

I have just re-done all of stereo stuff and wiring on a similar boat.  I installed 3 amps in the passenger locker.  The RCA's are ran around the bow to the drivers side.  I only needed two sets...one for sub and the other for the first amp.  I then feed the second amp with the output from the first...sub rca's feed sub amp obviously.  I also added an eq and mounted mine on the inside of the starboard walk through (by the drivers left knee ).  Eq is fed by a short RCA run from the head unit which is in the normal spot for these boats under the armrest.

Is the Clarion unit a zone controller also? I just installed a Wet Sounds ws420sq in my 2001 VLX, and i used a 7 meter 6 channel Wet Sounds RCA cable ran from the helm area around the bow to the observer storage compartment. 6 channels is enough if your amps are able to combine channels or pass thru the signal to other channels. I.e., you have 1 pair inputs, but your amp can power 4 channels from that single pair.

If you are going to route around the bow, you're going to need a fish tape if you don't want to remove the bow seat backs. It's a PITA!

Is the Clarion unit a zone controller also?

No. The clarion EQ fades between a front and rear output rather than independent volume control between an in-boat and tower zone. The WS-420 is also two EQ's in a single chassis where as the clarion is a single. 

Is the general recommendation to route the RCA cables up and around the bow area so they are far away from the battery cables that run under the floor through the ski locker area?? I'll be doing my stereo install in a week or two and trying to understand how to route wires. I also need to power my Exile digital media center and run the amp remote wire. Can these smaller power/ground wires be ran next to the RCA cables or should the power/ground run under the floor and the RCA's around the bow?? Thanks in advance!

MLA or David or someone more knowledgeable would have to chime in here, but the newer rca cables are twisted and shielded to prevent noise. I ran mine right beside some low current power wires (tower lights), and i have no noise. Might be different next to high current battery cables?

avoiding running rca and power cables in parallel is quickly fading off into the sunset. Even the less expensive RCAs are better at keeping out unwanted noise compared to a few years ago. Even further, amp internals and car and boat electronics are less prone to omitting and picking up those unwanted noises that we used to get when running signal and power cables together. In closing, dont make a point to braid them together but at the same time, dont sweat if they do happen to fallow the same path. 

I ended up running them under the bow section last night and finally moving the EQ over the the driver side. Still have to finish installing. It wasn't too difficult getting the wires from in and out of the holes in the dash area to the bow seats. I pushed 3 sets of RCA cables through the hole that goes to the bow storage. To get them from the bow to the driver dash I fished a small wire from driver dash to the bow seats, tied the wire around the RCAs and pulled them through the other side.

I'll take some pictures once I finish it up. 

21 hours ago, MLA said:

avoiding running rca and power cables in parallel is quickly fading off into the sunset. Even the less expensive RCAs are better at keeping out unwanted noise compared to a few years ago. Even further, amp internals and car and boat electronics are less prone to omitting and picking up those unwanted noises that we used to get when running signal and power cables together. In closing, dont make a point to braid them together but at the same time, dont sweat if they do happen to fallow the same path. 

So just to confirm, its pretty common practice to route the RCA cables from the helm area under the floor through the ski locker and into the storage to the amp(s)?? This is basically the same routing that the factory battery cables run in my RLXI. The RCA cables I will use came from Exile with my Digital media controller and dual volume. Thanks again for clarification!!

On 5/11/2016 at 4:57 PM, klinger said:

So just to confirm, its pretty common practice to route the RCA cables from the helm area under the floor through the ski locker and into the storage to the amp(s)?? This is basically the same routing that the factory battery cables run in my RLXI. The RCA cables I will use came from Exile with my Digital media controller and dual volume. Thanks again for clarification!!

Its a very direct route on a lot of boats. I like the idea of shorter RCAs when possible.