Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for power/amp suggestions

ameyer

Current set up.  4 WS Rev 10 tower speakers powered by 1 jl hd 600/4.  1 jl 12w6 subwoofer and 8 jl audio 6.5 ccx marine inboat speakers powered by the jl hd900/5.  My belief is the speakers are all under powered.  I am considering adding a second jl hd600/4 to the tower rev 10s. so I would have 1 600/4 amp per pair of speakers.  AND adding a jl hd600/4 for the cabin speakers (4 behind the steering wheel) and run the 900/5 to power the sub and pass through and bow 6.5 speakers.  4 amps seems like a lot and not sure if there are musical issues with so many amps.  I thought about switching out to the 2 largest wetsounds amps but it would still be light on the power.  Any recommendations on doing this or something different? 

Wetsounds SD2 for the Revs

Use your HD600/4 for your cabin speakers

Sell 900/5

Buy HD750/1 for Sub.

Alternative #1, if you want to stay all JL, would be to go with two HD750/1s for your revs, but that's a 4 amp solution.  (3x750/1s, 1x600/4).

Alternative #2 would be to go all wetsounds -- SD2 for the two pair of revs, and SD6 for cabins and sub.  That'd still be a little light for your sub tho.  Three amp overkill solution would be SD2 for Revs, SD2 for sub, SD4 for cabins.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ameyer said:

I thought about switching out to the 2 largest wetsounds amps but it would still be light on the power.

This has me confused. Are you referring to the SD series? An SD-2 would be perfect for the two pair of rev-10, not under powering them at all. An SD-6 would be MORE than enough for your 8 6.5" and 600W to your 12W6 if its a 4 ohm. 

Now, what model 6.5, the M or the MX? Is the 12W6 2 or 4 ohm final impedance? 

Gonna have to say shawndoggy nailed it..... The SD6 will not produce the power needed to wake up the w6. The 750.1 and above will. 

Edited by Truekaotik
  • Like 1

jl 12w6v3-d4 sub 4 ohm dual voice coil

jl audio mx 6.5 coaxial speakers

my installer said he prefers to stay with all one brand of amps for tuning and setting gains.  I like the idea of keeping the 600/4 for the inboats, add 750/1 for sub and the sd2 for the tower.

does anyone have any experience or input on mixing the jl and ws amps. 

8 hours ago, ameyer said:

input on mixing the jl and ws amps.

Dont look the same, thats all. 

jl 12w6v3-d4 sub 4 ohm dual voice coil

This is going to dictate the use of a 2 ohm stable mono amp. The JL 600/1 or Wet sounds HTX-1 would be good choice, especially if you went with a ported enclosure. The MDH750/ would certainly drive it to its potential. 

does anyone see any issue with a 4 amp system.  it seems the more sigals you have the lower the sound quality.  2 big amps vs 4 medium amps seems better to me.  i have spent a lot on this system and just want to get it powered right and sounding as good as possible.  i am more concerned with sound quality than volume.  thanks everyone

I would have no qualms about running four amps.  Presumably you are talking about doing four JL amps -- 2x750/1s for the towers, 1x750/1 for the sub, and 1x600/4 for the cabins.

The downsides are really that you will need to buy a bit more power and ground wire and that your distribution blocks may need to be replaced (i.e. if you currently have a 1 into 3, you will need a 1 or 2 into 4).

As far as splitting signals, whether you are using the factory HU signal outputs (a bit weaksauce) or a ws420 or other EQ (preferred), you will have three output zones.  Let's call them cabin, sub and tower.  So cabin output feeds your single cabin amp, sub output feeds your single sub amp, and tower output would feed one of the two tower amps, and then you can just use the pass-through output on that amp to feed your signal to the other tower amp.

i have no patience.  i ordered the sd4 for inboats, sd2 for the tower, and 750/1 for the sub.  expensive but hopefully i don't have to redo anything anymore.  thanks for everyones input. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, ameyer said:

i have no patience.  i ordered the sd4 for inboats, sd2 for the tower, and 750/1 for the sub.  expensive but hopefully i don't have to redo anything anymore.  thanks for everyones input. 

LMAO!  I'm glad I'm not the only one to make decisions like this.  I'm thinking you'll like the results of your impatience (this time)....

Dave

• Like 1

1 pair Rev-10 and 2 pair 8" in-boats, sure, an SD-6 would be great. 2 pair Rev-10, you are 2 chnls shy of driving all 4 rev-10. Wiring them 4 ohm stereo, you are not gaining much wattage wise, from the current 600/4. A single SD-2 for 2 pair, or dual SD-6 for 2 pair with 4 chnls left for in-boats or in-boats and a sub.  

6 hours ago, ameyer said:

ok now I am second guessing.  what about 1 sd6 for the tower and the inboats.  and the jl 750/1 for the sub. 

You made the RIGHT CHOICE THE FIRST TIME, stop worrying. It will be LOUD! You will love the your output!