Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions on 2006 Silverado

LS-One

I have a line on a 2006 Siverado HD Duramax, 4x4, crew cab, 6 1/2 foot bed. The truck is loaded and has 62,000 miles on it. I know the owner and I am confident the truck has been well taken care of.

Are the Duramax engines reliable? What is the real world mpg. Any info would be appreciated. I'm a Toyota guy so I'm somewhat ignorant on Chevy.

I had a 2004 for three or four years.  It was tough as a mule.   I don't remember the mileage  One of the batteries exploded one morning when I turned the key to start. The whole top half of the battery next to the firewall blew off.  For a few moments I thought I was dead.  I was never able to clean up the battery acid after the explosion despite heroic attempts at cleaning it. I would have kept it if I could have stopped the acid corrosion.

Ball joints wore out prematurely as well.  The heavy ranch hand grill guard probably did not help.

Edited by Bozboat

@LS-One based on your profile location you could take it to Left Coast Diesel (in Livermore, I've heard questionable things about Concord) and have them do a once-over on it and give you their opinion. I switched from a '06 Tundra DC Limited to a '15 2500HD and it's been a huge difference. I know you're looking at an '06 Silverado and that's quite a bit different from the '15. What I have noticed with my previous GM vehicles is that after about 10 years the interior starts to break down; random squeaks and rattles, and there is generally a bit more maintenance to keep everything the way I wanted it for a daily driver. (prior experience with an '84 S10 Blazer and '99 Yukon)

LCD can check out the mechanicals, but you should drive it for 20+ minutes on all types of roads with the windows up and and the radio off (but make sure it works) so you can listen for any noises that might indicate that something isn't the way you want it.

You can check what version of the engine you have here:

http://www.duramaxhub.com/duramax-vin.html

If you have the LLY engine then it was a production engine for a few years before it made it's way to the truck, it looks like the LBZ engine was a mid-year switch and there might be some minor issues with a mid-year change. I would suggest researching the engine code for common problems and see if they are things you would be OK dealing with (paying for or fixing yourself)

I had a 05 Duramax Crew Cab short box, 3.73 rear end.  Bought at 39000 miles, sold at 91000 miles.

Lots of power for towing and no issues ever with the drive train. I pulled the Malibu over the Coq several times with it and was impressed.

06 is better since you get the 6 speed Allison and no DPF yet.  

I did have to replace the front hubs at 80000 miles, a common issue for these trucks.  I also has a seal go in the rear axle which caused my park brake shoes to be destroyed.  Everything else was regular maintenance.

My truck was a fully loaded LT and I had a strange problem with the electronic seat controls reversing.  Luckily, the required fix was only a reflash of the BCM.

Average mileage was around 18; towing about 14.  Good truck; I'd buy another if I could fit my kids in it.

Edited by Mechmaster

Do you know if it has the LLY or the LBZ engine? I think that 2006 was a transitional year between the 2. The LBZ is a stronger engine . Injectors can be an issue so make sure to have them checked out and be a little more cautious if it was tuned. Otherwise, great powertrain. Good luck. 

17 minutes ago, Tims said:

Do you know if it has the LLY or the LBZ engine? I think that 2006 was a transitional year between the 2. The LBZ is a stronger engine . Injectors can be an issue so make sure to have them checked out and be a little more cautious if it was tuned. Otherwise, great powertrain. Good luck. 

LBZ was 2006: http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1303dp-history-of-the-duramax-diesel-engine/

There are several guys on Duramaxforum that are around 1 million miles on original drivetrain. I would feel safe taking one to 400-500k before losing trust in it. The most I have put on one before getting rid of it was 285k without problems. Mileage really varies on how you drive it and tire size , 18+ mpg on highway isn't too much to expect. Like any vehicle they all have different strengths and weaknesses, the Duramax/Allison combo is hard to beat but it has been around since 2001.

2006 is a great year for the duramax. It will have a 6 speed Allison and either the LLY or LBZ tuning for horsepower. That year is very solid one thing to watch for are leaking tranny lines. Once they are fixed they are for the most part problem free. I just sold my 07 LBZ with 210k miles without a hiccup

• Like 1