Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cheap way to improve Fosgate system

SnubNose

1 hour ago, David said:

Shawn makes a very good point. You should be able to hear distortion long before you are doing the damage. I wish someone was there to listen and say, "Hear that? Hear the change? That's definitely wrong."

Your best chance of audibly detecting the subwoofer limits are when at rest. Then you have to trust that same level when you are underway, because when you are underway with the hull slapping the chop, with the wind and engine noise, you are less able to hear those same distortion thresholds.   

So until you get the box right, for the remainder of the season, gain the sub way down, and use no form of bass boost or equalization.    

Thanks for your opinion guys. I think I need to get box done.... Ima hit those guys up in paso Robles since they are about an hour from the lake where my boat is stored. 

I think once the box is resolved and they properly tune it I should have a decent system. 

My biggest issue is I want a system I can bang and not worry about damaging so it seems the box is a necessity for that. 

I just noticed that one of my MB quartz towers has a small tear at the top. So I guess that's blown too? Still sounds ok so I might just leave i alone. 

49 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

no I just used the google machine.

They have really s***ty ratings on google and Yelp. 

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

QBOMB box and a little hard foam insulation - about $60.  Problem solved.

Link to the correct q bomb box ? 

1 minute ago, SnubNose said:

Link to the correct q bomb box ? 

http://www.amazon.com/Q-Power-QBOMB12SSINGLE-Qpower-Single/dp/B00NG38WZ8

Volume is about 1.4 cubic feet.  Look in your sub manual for optimal total volume (I think the 12" RF is 1.1 cubic feet?) and the glue in some 2" basement insulation foam into the box interior to bring the volume down to optimal.  Let it dry completely before you mount the sub on the box.  Not elegant looking but good sound, easy, and cheap.  Search this site for QBOMB for lots of threads regarding installation in different boats with Rockford, WS, and other subs.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:06 AM, SnubNose said:

So you didn't get new enclosure? Just kept factory? 

Could someone guide me through adjusting my amps? I am here with boat now? Or does the audio professional need to be listening while adjusting ? 

Yes, I just kept the factory sub enclosure, woofer and amp.

As far as tuning the system, the AudioControl EQ has an adjustable gain for the preamp outputs.  They have an indicator light on the bottom of the EQ that helps you determine the optimal output voltage.  I set the factory head unit at about 90% volume to adjust the gain on the EQ.  I then connected the EQ to the amps and turned the gain on all of the amps down to zero.  I also noticed that the sub amp was not set at the proper setting with respect to the low pass filter for frequency so I also fixed that and made sure the tower and boat speakers were set at the high pass setting on the amps.  I then played music through the system still with the amp gains all the way down.  I turned the volume on the head unit to about 90% and the EQ to 100% then adjusted the amp gains individually until the speakers started to distort then backed down the gain to the point the distortion stopped.  This did not require much gain for any of the amps.

I like using the factory head unit because I like the auto volume control as the RPM's increase.  I am not a pro but believe it is pretty close to what the system is capable of which is plenty for me.

Just last weekend the port side tower speakers blow out.  Somehow some water got under the passenger compartment and it appeared the tower amp was kind of splashed with water.  The tower speakers quit working all together which is when I noticed the water.  I pulled the fuse and let it dry out and when I repowered the amp, that is when I noticed the port side tower speakers were blown out.  I just order some Rockford Fosgate 6x9 speakers and am just going to replace all four.  The amp seems to be working fine as I connected the starboard speakers to the port output on the amp and they worked fine, so both channels on the amp seem to be working.

I am also ordering the fresh air exhaust primarily to cut down on the engine noise but also to help with CO2.  Hope to receive that in the next couple of weeks.  That should make it easier to keep music while wakeboarding.

Kris