Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exile Digital Media Center EXMC1

CrystalSurf

I'm considering getting the Exile Digital Media Centre (EXMC1) since my Millennia bluetooth received died.  Currently, I have an aux 3.5mm going to a Clarion EQ 746 which then feeds into the front and rear of a 4 channel amp.  I only have 4 cabin speakers (no tower).  At some point, I may add a sub and replace the amp with a 5-channel.  The boat has the original JBL headunit (dead) under the armrest and the circular JBL remote (useless) on a panel near the shift/control arm. 

I was thinking that I could put this in the spot of the JBL remote as it looks like its the same size.  I was also thinking I could use the dual zone controller that comes with it as a basic volume control.

My questions for the crew are:

1) Do i still need the EQ?  Or, should I just feed the amps directly from the Exile Media Centre? The Exile website shows it going directly to the amps.

2) If i bypass the EQ, how would I isolate the front and rear? I have reduced the gain on the front speakers because the sound bounces off the windshield and is bright.

3) I think the intent of the zone controller is to fade the signal between either the tower or cabin speakers.  Without tower speakers, would it work like a single zone volume controller?  Would it still work like that if I add a sub down the road?

Thanks! 

IMG_2587_zpshuim6iuj.jpg

IMG_2591_zpscvl7zj3g.jpg

media-center-install-guide.jpg

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/install-accessories/bluetooth/exmc1.html

Keep the EQ, the Exile DMC has the 3.5 input, and run 1 set of RCA's to your EQ input, then out to the amps. It looks like it should fit no problem. Worst case you may need to fab a backplate in case the existing jbl remote has a larger diameter post

Thanks.  So, would I just be keeping the EQ in order to split the signal between front and rear?  I wonder why the Exile (or the JL Audio version) don't have separate front and rear?

27 minutes ago, CrystalSurf said:

I wonder why the Exile (or the JL Audio version) don't have separate front and rear

Space. Only so much room in that housing. If more features are needed/desired, the next step up is to go with what they call a compact head-unit. Basically, is the size of a traditional round LCD remote, like the old Sony and Clarion. Has tuner, usb, aux and BT and can drive four 4 ohm speakers hey are deeper than those remotes, as all the goods are contained behind the face. Not as extensive as a black box type though. 

MB Quart has one, Kicker has released theirs, and im sure we will see others, if not already out there. http://www.kicker.com/kmc2

22 hours ago, CrystalSurf said:

I'm considering getting the Exile Digital Media Centre (EXMC1) since my Millennia bluetooth received died.  Currently, I have an aux 3.5mm going to a Clarion EQ 746 which then feeds into the front and rear of a 4 channel amp.  I only have 4 cabin speakers (no tower).  At some point, I may add a sub and replace the amp with a 5-channel.  The boat has the original JBL headunit (dead) under the armrest and the circular JBL remote (useless) on a panel near the shift/control arm. 

I was thinking that I could put this in the spot of the JBL remote as it looks like its the same size.  I was also thinking I could use the dual zone controller that comes with it as a basic volume control.

My questions for the crew are:

1) Do i still need the EQ?  Or, should I just feed the amps directly from the Exile Media Centre? The Exile website shows it going directly to the amps.

2) If i bypass the EQ, how would I isolate the front and rear? I have reduced the gain on the front speakers because the sound bounces off the windshield and is bright.

3) I think the intent of the zone controller is to fade the signal between either the tower or cabin speakers.  Without tower speakers, would it work like a single zone volume controller?  Would it still work like that if I add a sub down the road?

Thanks! 

IMG_2587_zpshuim6iuj.jpg

IMG_2591_zpscvl7zj3g.jpg

media-center-install-guide.jpg

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/install-accessories/bluetooth/exmc1.html

Which 4 channel amplifier? If it is a amplifier that requires 4 RCAs just split them at amp. 

For the EQ, in your situation you do not NEED it. The amplifier gains have already set the balance you wanted. Adding a EQ will not change this but give you instant control. Unless it is a line driver as well. Then it will help the input signal strength, but you can purchase just a line driver for cheaper. 

When you add a subwoofer Down the road, more than likely it will have its own amplifier so you can use the knob that comes with it to control the sub instant. 

Edited by Truekaotik

I never thought of just getting a splitter.  That would be simple.  However, forgive my ignorance, but how would I get the subwoofer signal to the amp?  Does the amp automatically detect the lower frequencies and send them to the sub-channel?  If so, then maybe I don't need my EQ.  It's not that I'm really looking to get rid of the EQ, but I'm guessing that fewer components in the mix is better, it would clean up the helm a bit, and I find the volume control knob on the Clarion EQ746 is not the most user friendly.