Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakemakers Surf Assist install

jcon44

Ha ha, you took a pic of my throne for watching you nervously take 5 minutes to chamfer a single hole :biggrin:  You did flatten the adjustable section before going out right?  Interested to see this spray and how bad it is, any spray is unacceptable really.  I just don't see how you get 10-12 degrees deployed and also get them to retract far enough to stay out of water with an actuator with a 2 1/4" throw.  Hopefully it's just an adjustment on the turnbuckle or the mounting (actuator to tab) that you'll have to figure out on the water. 

Mine does not spray... I do not see a pic with yours fully retracted. Mine fully retracted are touching the swim platform. I will send a Pic later of mine fully retracted.

IMG_20151212_144505287_zps0p4jzwov.jpg

Edited by kerpluxal

Hard to see but it looks like the hinges extend below the bottom edge of the hull?  Looks like you did the best you could with the room available below the swim platform mounts though.  Think my Axis has even less room which is why I haven't done this mod yet.

25 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Mine does not spray... I do not see a pic with yours fully retracted. Mine fully retracted are touching the swim platform. I will send a Pic later of mine fully retracted.

IMG_20151212_144505287_zps0p4jzwov.jpg

This is how mine look when they are fully retracted.......I did raise my platform 4 inches.

10 minutes ago, Technicallyabu said:

Hard to see but it looks like the hinges extend below the bottom edge of the hull?  Looks like you did the best you could with the room available below the swim platform mounts though.  Think my Axis has even less room which is why I haven't done this mod yet.

Mine were installed by gosurfassist... they had an axis in there as well as mine with the install... I  believe jcon44 you have your actuators mounted to low on hull.. My boat is currently in the shop and cannot get a pic for you... but if you desperately need a shot of where the actuators are mounted.. I will drive up there...

4 minutes ago, dealjb said:

This is how mine look when they are fully retracted.......I did raise my platform 4 inches.

My platform is not raised... did raising help anything? 

12 minutes ago, Technicallyabu said:

Yes, the hinge is tucked up as close to the bump out in the hull for the swim step mounting bracket as possible. just slightly below the hull.

6 minutes ago, dealjb said:

Mine are retracted in the last picture, at first I as thinking it would look like yours when retracted but when we started looking at the angles we realized it would not be anywhere close to that. Especially if you started from a extended angle of 12 degrees compared to the hull. the actuators just don't move that much. I was happy they are up close to where the wedge is and don't seem to have any effect on the wake or anything else while retracted other than some spray.

16 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Mine were installed by gosurfassist... they had an axis in there as well as mine with the install... I  believe jcon44 you have your actuators mounted to low on hull.. My boat is currently in the shop and cannot get a pic for you... but if you desperately need a shot of where the actuators are mounted.. I will drive up there...

My platform is not raised... did raising help anything?

wave is just cleaner.  Edge of my platform was cutting into surf side wave a little.  One of my brackets were cracked so need to do something anyway.  Was not sure how high to go so had a guy manufacture me some that would adjust from 1-4 inches higher.  I keep it in the highest position.

38 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

We toyed with the idea of mounting the actuators higher to get the tabs retracted more but then extended it was only a few degrees below the hull. There are a bunch of mounting points on the tab end of the actuators we can play with as well, right now its in the middle.

5 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

We toyed with the idea of mounting the actuators higher to get the tabs retracted more but then extended it was only a few degrees below the hull. There are a bunch of mounting points on the tab end of the actuators we can play with as well, right now its in the middle

This is my wake with the factory installation

IMG_20160124_153006555_zpswlh65irf.jpg

The tab deployed and the wave control knob all the way clockwise looks like you tab retracted. It does not take much below hull to produce the wake. I will see if I can get Ryan to chime in and look at your install.

Edited by kerpluxal
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Nice looking wave!  Other than the GSA what is your weight configuration?

I don't what I had in the boat with this pic... but here is my current setup

Factory full (don't have factory front ballast tanks)

Rear lockers 1100 (as full as I can fill... but will not fill to the 1100 max)

rear floor 400 lbs

center floor 800 lbs

Under bow seats 500lbs

bow walkway 500lbs

BTW... no trickery photography.. photo taken by my while driving lol :biggrin:

Edited by kerpluxal
1 hour ago, jcon44 said:

Yes, the hinge is tucked up as close to the bump out in the hull for the swim step mounting bracket as possible. just slightly below the hull.

Mine are retracted in the last picture, at first I as thinking it would look like yours when retracted but when we started looking at the angles we realized it would not be anywhere close to that. Especially if you started from a extended angle of 12 degrees compared to the hull. the actuators just don't move that much. I was happy they are up close to where the wedge is and don't seem to have any effect on the wake or anything else while retracted other than some spray.

I just hung up with Ryan at GoSurfAssist... Here is the website: http://www.gosurfassist.com/... phone number: 940-782-9410... email: [email protected]...

Your tab is to low when retracted and that is why you are getting the spray... Ryan can assist you in the technical details of mounting (GoSurfAssist is the manufacture of the WakeMakers SurfAssist).

10 hours ago, jcon44 said:

So, I decided to pull the trigger on the Wakemakers GSA kit about a month or so ago but had to wait as the parts were on back order. I received everything about a week ago and got started on the project this parts Friday with the help from Ndawg12. I will say everything looks very well put together and overbuilt for what it is. the instructions however are lacking to say the least. Allot of time was spent trying to decipher what was depicted and figuring out the multiple missing steps. I've attached some pictures i took during the process. I've got everything outside the boat done but still need to wire up everything inside. I broke a connector for one of the actuators so i am waiting on a replacement part as well. I took the boat out for a quick spin with the actuator in the stowed position and there only difference was some spray shooting straight up when I got above 18mph or so. looking at the tabs that should be something that can be fixed but I need to look at it more closely. more to come as i wrap things up. let me know if you have any questions so far.

slightly nervous to put the first hole in the hull.

Question for you.  Receiving everything a week ago, how did you end up with the old style tabs?  I took mine to GoSurfAssist back in March and they installed the new style tabs.  

New tabs are pictured below.

WaveControl-Tab-Small-min.jpg

11 hours ago, Kojak said:

Question for you.  Receiving everything a week ago, how did you end up with the old style tabs?  I took mine to GoSurfAssist back in March and they installed the new style tabs.  

New tabs are pictured below.

Not sure, maybe there is a difference between the model Wakemakers sells and direct from GSA?

15 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I just hung up with Ryan at GoSurfAssist... Here is the website: http://www.gosurfassist.com/... phone number: 940-782-9410... email: [email protected]...

Your tab is to low when retracted and that is why you are getting the spray... Ryan can assist you in the technical details of mounting (GoSurfAssist is the manufacture of the WakeMakers SurfAssist).

Thanks, I will try to give him a call today.

17 hours ago, jcon44 said:

lenstal.jpg

Not exactly on point, but this is the mounting diagram for a lenco trim tab.  Note the position of the hinge from the trailing edge of the hull.  If you do overlap the edge of the hull, the hinge will interfere with the wakeboard wake.  I know because on my MB I mounted a center trim tab and there was a tiny overhang (1/4"?) on the very end of the tab, and even that little tiny overhang did create a little bit of wash in the wake.  If the whole length of the hinge is below the trailing edge of the hull in your case, I'd think it could cause quite a bit of turbulence in the wakeboard wake.  FWIW, I ended up just living with the wash because it was pretty minor, but it did bug me.

EDIT: here is the tiny bit of overhang I'm talking about:

file_zpsaa949d46.jpg

most of the hinge was above the trailing edge of the hull.... but just that little bit on the end overhung

file_zps1b802d0d.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jcon44 said:

Not sure, maybe there is a difference between the model Wakemakers sells and direct from GSA?

I'm going to guess that there isn't.  The box that Ryan opened up and pulled the tabs out of said Wakemakers on it.  Also, the picture that I posted is off of Wakemakers website.  

Supposedly the new tabs are better.  I don't know.  I just don't want to be the one getting screwed.

54 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I'm going to guess that there isn't.  The box that Ryan opened up and pulled the tabs out of said Wakemakers on it.  Also, the picture that I posted is off of Wakemakers website.  

Supposedly the new tabs are better.  I don't know.  I just don't want to be the one getting screwed.

Agreed, not like I got a discount for the older model. :)

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

lenstal.jpg

Not exactly on point, but this is the mounting diagram for a lenco trim tab.  Note the position of the hinge from the trailing edge of the hull.  If you do overlap the edge of the hull, the hinge will interfere with the wakeboard wake.  I know because on my MB I mounted a center trim tab and there was a tiny overhang (1/4"?) on the very end of the tab, and even that little tiny overhang did create a little bit of wash in the wake.  If the whole length of the hinge is below the trailing edge of the hull in your case, I'd think it could cause quite a bit of turbulence in the wakeboard wake.  FWIW, I ended up just living with the wash because it was pretty minor, but it did bug me.

EDIT: here is the tiny bit of overhang I'm talking about:

file_zpsaa949d46.jpg

most of the hinge was above the trailing edge of the hull.... but just that little bit on the end overhung

file_zps1b802d0d.jpg

Good info Shawn and from the looks of your pic Joe's hinge is a little lower than that.  So the next test is to get back behind the boat and see if the trailing edge of the tab is dragging too.  I suspect it will especially when loaded.  As Joe noted (and another flaw in the installation instructions imo) that hinge is up as high as possible. If we have to remount then we'll have to grind out a section to fit around the bump-out for the swim platform mount.  

Just now, Ndawg12 said:

Good info Shawn and from the looks of your pic Joe's hinge is a little lower than that.  So the next test is to get back behind the boat and see if the trailing edge of the tab is dragging too.  I suspect it will especially when loaded.  As Joe noted (and another flaw in the installation instructions imo) that hinge is up as high as possible. If we have to remount then we'll have to grind out a section to fit around the bump-out for the swim platform mount.  

I will try to get pics today of the unit installed by gosurfassist. There is also a youtube (at work and it is blocked) video for the install. I doubt that I will get pics today, but hopefully tomorrow.

I spoke to Ryan at GSA just now and he did mention that some folks have to grind out a section of the hull bump out to get the hinges tucked up higher. It's only exposed about an 8th inch on my hull right now but that could be enough to cause the spray. I can reposition the actuator mount on the tab to pull it up a bit as well which may help too. The wake looked similar from before the tabs were on from what I saw the other day, granted that was with no ballast at all.

Also most folks are mounting the actuators closer to the hinge than I didn't but I couldn't get the angle to work that close, the instructions are not boat specific so we were going off the angles mentioned. Like Nate said we'll play around with it as is and see what it looks like before remounting anything.

24 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

Agreed, not like I got a discount for the older model. :)

I would not worry about the difference in the two tab models.  The only difference appears to be the adjustability of the trailing portion of the tab.  I keep mine at almost flat out.  I think the adjustability of the older tabs (I have) were just blowing too many peoples minds.  I have mine set where they work best for me and leave them alone.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, dealjb said:

I would not worry about the difference in the two tab models.  The only difference appears to be the adjustability of the trailing portion of the tab.  I keep mine at almost flat out.  I think the adjustability of the older tabs (I have) were just blowing too many peoples minds.  I have mine set where they work best for me and leave them alone.

dealjb.. not to hijack post... but how much were the custom 910s from wakemakers for the rear locker??? Insurance should be settling today and I will be back on water shortly :yahoo:

43 minutes ago, dealjb said:

That was one reason Ryan gave for the new tab style, among others.