Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'06 23 LSV removing interior emblems

I need to remove all interior emblems as the chrome is flaking off. 

How do you remove the two that are in the main seating area?  I can feel in the gunnel where they are bolted to the interior, however there is a board in place the covers enough of the holes you cannot get a socket on them.  Do I need to remove the interior pieces, and if so, how?

For the two that are on the tower facing out, are they accessible if you drop the tower?

Not sure on the interior ones but I can tell you the tower ones are a bear!!  They are nylock nutted on the inside, 7/16" I believe, you have to drop the tower and the space to work is less than an inch wide. After an hour or so I got the port side nuts off and the emblem came off.  After another hour I got the starboard side nuts off but it wouldn't budge, used leverage on the screws, carefully heated it up, even tried fishing line behind the emblem, no dice and I was scared I would create a bigger problem by ripping the powder coat off the tower.  So I convinced myself it wasn't in that bad of shape :biggrin:  When I reinstalled the one that came off I just used some 3m 4200 and loosely installed the nut.  ymmv.  

wow - that sounds horrible, and about par for my luck.

I may try to tape around them and wire wheel them.  then plasti-dip.  not the look I want to go for...but options may be more limited than I thought.

1 hour ago, ilovetrains said:

wow - that sounds horrible, and about par for my luck.

I may try to tape around them and wire wheel them.  then plasti-dip.  not the look I want to go for...but options may be more limited than I thought.

Tried that, the sharp edges of those emblems won't hold the plasti-dip and will look terrible in no time.

Edited by Ndawg12

that is kinda what I figured.

I am hoping someone has an idea on the interior panels (I am afraid they have to be removed to get tot he emblems) as those are the most visible/annoying.  Nothing like sitting down and getting a fine piece of chrome embedded in your back.

you can't even get an open ended wrench on them?  Can you get a pair of vice grips on the bolt?  I believe its actually just a threaded rod so it screws into the emblem (I could be wrong on this so hopefully someone else chimes in).  Of course you'll need to replace it by cutting a stainless bolt down but at least you'll have it out.

Edited by Ndawg12

between the way that half the hole is covered and the angle, I could not get an open end wrench or anything up there.  I was hoping to find someone who had done some interior work and see how they removed the panels themselves.  I stuck my phone under to see just what I was dealing with, I can see the problem, just not the solution.

2 hours ago, ilovetrains said:

between the way that half the hole is covered and the angle, I could not get an open end wrench or anything up there.  I was hoping to find someone who had done some interior work and see how they removed the panels themselves.  I stuck my phone under to see just what I was dealing with, I can see the problem, just not the solution.

Post (at least) one of the pictures you took. Maybe someone has an idea on how to remove them once you show us a picture.

Going off memory for my '02, I'll bet the emblems were installed with the upholstery out and then the seat backs were installed in the boat.

Only thing I can offer is that they are just threaded rods holding the interior emblems.  It was pretty simple to remove mine.  Perhaps try a ratchet box end?

here is the emblem in question:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxwyJiSz2b6uank3ZHZTM2RxWm8/view?usp=sharing

and the backside - you can see the bolt goes right to the fiberglass, that is the inner gunwale, the nut will not back off, and in this picture you lose the angle a little, this one is more accessible than the other side.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxwyJiSz2b6uTDdBelRKYWk1RHM/view?usp=sharing

I have to ask one more time, can you get an open ended wrench on that nut in the picture?  You say it will not back up off but if you're turning it then it's unthreading itself from the emblem.  Or if the nut does back off then unthread out to the fiberglass, pull out on the emblem, and unthread it some more.  Getting that one off should open up opportunities for the other.  I'll be on vacation when you go to re-install :biggrin:

22 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Rotary rasp on the end of a drill or Dremmel?  Just grind a bit of that fiberglass away.

I had not thought about just grinding those area away.  I would think I can get a rotary tool up there.  I will have to try that.