Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zero Off Upgrade for newer Wakesetters

sounddude03

I have a 2014 VTX and I'm unimpressed with the cruise control. Does fine at slalom speeds, but hunts for the speed at wakeboard and trick speeds. I know the MEFI 6 boats were not Zero Off upgrade-able but I wonder if that has changed due to the 2016 boats coming with Zero Off. 

Anyone checked this out?

ahopkins22LSV

You should be able to run ZO. The engines offered in 14 were the same that haven been offered in Malibu Responses since ZO came out. I don't know f will be compatible with your dash. But the Malibu gps cruise is pretty good and I think it's about $450 add on. 

From what I've read in previous posts it sounded like the Response uses a different ECM that is ZO compatible, but Wakesetters were not. Hopefully someone that has tried this upgrade can chime in.

GPS would be an upgrade over paddle wheel, but I would prefer ZO if possible. 

Edited by sounddude03
Type
ahopkins22LSV

That's interesting. I don't know for sure but I guess that could be. Doesn't make a lot sense to me since they are the same engine options across the board in 2014.

I can confirm for sure that the gps option is still way better then the paddle wheel for surfing and wakebording. 

I have a '14 VTX and upgraded to the GPS speed control this year.  Only had the paddle wheel last year, my dealer didn't offer ZO as an option, and I assume GPS should be just as good.......cost me just under $600.

@Sixer did you notice a difference after upgrading to the GPS? If you did, could you characterize the change?  Did it pick up and lock into the set point faster, or was there less speed fluctuation, etc?  Thanks for any insight you can share. 

I will have to get back to you......boat is on the lift, but water and weather here have been a little chilly for me yet this year.  I hope to be out surfing this week, I will definitely let you know if the investment was worthwhile.  My previous boat was a 2012 VTX with GPS and the speed was always really nice and consistent when surfing.  Last year I noticed it being irregular and very choppy with the paddlewheel speed control on my '14.  I REALLY hope that installing GPS speed will be the fix I was looking for.......

Edited by Sixer

Anyone else been down this path and able to provide some insight?  Either experience upgrading from paddle wheel to Malibu GPS, or experience attempting to put the 2016 ZO option on a '13, '14, or '15?

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@Fman didn't you upgrade to the gps in your previous VLX?

ahopkins - Thanks for pointing out that Fman did this upgrade previously.  I found his post here and it sounds like he would recommend the upgrade.  I've reached out to both Malibu and Zero Off to double check if Zero Off is now available for my '14.  If it isn't available I will be going to the Malibu GPS.  

There is huge improvement on the pull when using GPS speed control for surfing.  When I used the paddle wheel for surfing the speed was overshot and followed by revving up and down to get to desired speed.  With GPS it's a consistent pull up and to speed, and there isn't the jerking around like when using the paddle wheel.  Speed stays very consistent at set speed, and doesn't rev up and down.  Definitely worth the $ for the upgrade IMO.

Edited by Sixer