Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion G3 Tower Replacement Gas Shocks

Just ordered my traction springs from gemini rated at 1100 N (247#). As explained by Gemini (spoke with Hank) the company typically over builds their products and an 1100 N ends up really being a 1200 N (170#). Lead time is currently about 2 weeks. 

I'm planning to install them on my 2013 Malibu MXZ 22 with factory quad tower cans (tower is heavy af without working springs).

I'll update the crew once installed (fingers crossed they actually work as intended.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry guys - Yes an old topic, however I just lowered my tower for the first time and nearly landed on my rear due to the weight. I've ordered a set from Gemini yesterday (275s) .Huge favor,  can i get advice, step by step, on installation please? Pictures would be god send. Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Hey gang. I'm a new owner to a 2010 vlx. I discovered this week that there are no springs at all inside the tower. Any pictures you could post regarding how these look installed would be great. I have new ones on order, but will need to track down my own mounting hardware and have no idea what I would need. 

Thank you for the great thread to figure out where to order new springs!  Gemini knew exactly what I was needing for Malibu G3 tower. 

Edited by Kendal

You should be getting 2 gas struts with threaded studs on both ends. Once you remove the old struts you will need to unscrew the eye nuts from both ends of the old strut and screw the nuts on to the new strut. The process has been well documented in here if you need some guidance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Kendal said:

I just received some I ordered 5 weeks ago. 

They said they were at least 8 weeks out. And I never did get the email quote. My dealer will have them mid week. 

Crew.  I'm in need of hardware to install two new struts in G3 tower.  The used 2010 VLX I bought did not have any struts installed at all (unknown to me until I lowered the tower).  I don't have the hardware to install and don't even have any idea what the hardware would look like.  Bakes does not sell the hardware.  Any ideas??

On 7/26/2021 at 8:50 AM, cowwboy said:

They said they were at least 8 weeks out. And I never did get the email quote. My dealer will have them mid week. 

Paid $232.87 total for two 1100N

2 minutes ago, Kendal said:

Crew.  I'm in need of hardware to install two new struts in G3 tower.  The used 2010 VLX I bought did not have any struts installed at all (unknown to me until I lowered the tower).  I don't have the hardware to install and don't even have any idea what the hardware would look like.  Bakes does not sell the hardware.  Any ideas??

Is there anything inside the tower? There is a heim joint on the end of the gas struts in mine, then the screw/bolt that goes across to hold the heim joint to the tower; I had pictures at one point. What is one your tower? What weight rating do you need on the struts? I may be able to find a set I removed that were for the tower with only two board racks on it.

Just the heim joint platform and the related audio or light wiring. Factory weight strut was 215lbs on my 2010. I replaced them with the 275lb version and was very happy with them with a set of Rev-10a on the tower. They would spring up crazy fast by themselves when I originally replaced them. They eventually mellowed out some, but would still auto raise just not as fast.

9 hours ago, mikeo said:

Is there anything inside the tower? There is a heim joint on the end of the gas struts in mine, then the screw/bolt that goes across to hold the heim joint to the tower; I had pictures at one point. What is one your tower? What weight rating do you need on the struts? I may be able to find a set I removed that were for the tower with only two board racks on it.

I have two new 1100N struts from Gemini now. My tower may have something inside for the upper position. But the lower part/hole (which I assume is connection point for the strut) has nothing. I can see through it. 

22 hours ago, mikeo said:

Is this what I need?  Seems like this would only be 1/2 of what I need to affix the strut inside the tower

https://www.malibuparts.com/products/heim-joint

2 hours ago, Kendal said:

Is this what I need?  Seems like this would only be 1/2 of what I need to affix the strut inside the tower

https://www.malibuparts.com/products/heim-joint

That is the heim joint for the tower pivot assembly. The ends of the struts have reusable screw on heads with holes in them that attach to the upper pivoting base plate and to the lower fixed tower bases that attach to the gunnels. If the strut heads are not stripped they should be reusable.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!!  Thank you to all who helped point me in the right direction.  Finally received MOST of the hardware needed to install new tower struts.  The closest Malibu dealer to me is 250 miles away, but I called their parts department and after a few calls to Malibu the dealer figured out all the hardware I needed.  It took 6 weeks to get 4 Heim joints and 2 barrel nuts.  I had to go to local ACE Hardware store to find the last 2 screws needed to hold the upper portion of the strut to the tower.  Attached are some install instructions for anyone looking to see how these install.  

malibu_tower__all-models-except-a1_b1_ (1)-01.png

malibu_tower__all-models-except-a1_b1_ (1)-02.png

malibu_tower__all-models-except-a1_b1_ (1)-03.png

malibu_tower__all-models-except-a1_b1_ (1)-04.png

malibu_tower__all-models-except-a1_b1_ (1)-05.png

malibu_tower__all-models-except-a1_b1_ (1)-06.png

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone's research and input on this topic! I just placed an order for a pair of 1000Ns for ~$80/each USD. Henk at Gemini says I'll have 'em in 4-5 weeks. Much faster than expected!

@MinocsMalibu, it looks like we have a similar boat in a similar location - I just picked up a 2011 VTX for my cabin in Three Lakes. Love the up north!

Edited by mckstud2
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...