Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power wedge actuator cont. to run

Hey all, 

Went out to play today and got an error saying port side max current draw. They wedge had moved down to halfway I think. I sat for a second, then tried to put it back up, not luck, put it back down, it went all the way down. Now still will not go back up. Yes I am moving while trying to play with it. What I havent been able to find an answer to here is, one and or both actuators are continuously running pushing the wedge down. Once I got the boat on the trailer I realized that was happening. I shut it off completely, including batteries, as soon as I flip the batteries back on I can hear the actuator(s) turn back on and keep trying to push it down. Anyone else had this issue? I'm going to run back out now and check all the fuses, battery cables, etc. But not sure how a fuse would cause this if it is still able to run. 

Thanks!

2014 23lsv. 

Another noteworthy item, Even if the power from the boat is off, the actuators run. The only way to kill the power to them is by killing the batteries. As soon as the battery switch is flipped on, the actuators are back to running. 

Im curious if I did the factory reset, would that cause the update that was done by the dealer on the 2014 models to get deleted?

Another random question, I've always had the habit of turning the batteries completely off at the selector switch when we are done with the boat for the day. Does that cause issues? Just read something in the manual about the wedge needing to be cycled twice after battery disconnection. Should I be leaving the batteries on?

Still haven't fixed the original problem but didn't know if maybe that had something to do with it.

I keep reading about 1 or 2 fuses for the actuators as well. Under the helm I see 4 red rubber square in line fuses. Are any of those for the actuators?

Here is my current troubleshooting discoveries. Might be good info for others. I worked backward from the actuators, saw under the transom seat where they actually plug in, unhooked the plugs and realized there was a little water in both, grabbed a q tip, tried to dry them out some. When I hooked them back in, actuators were still free spinning in the wedge down position. Cut power, layed under the helm for a little bit wondering what the heck. From the back I saw that the port and starboard wires were a white and green and white and red. I saw those going into the lenco control box and just thought hey, why not, I unplugged the main plug and guess what? More water in the MAIN plug under the helm! How did that get in there! Its never seen rain without a cover and 99% of the time is under a carport type thing. Took the q tips, shook the plug, dried, shook it, dried it etc. Plugged it back in. Now the actuators aren't free spinning anymore. If I push wedge down (its still already down) I hear a pulse in the actuators, then get and unbalanced current failure warning. I said ok well I am sitting still so lets try the wedge up bypass. With that fuse in place, I can hear it pulse up, same error, pulse up, same error over and over. I unplugged the box again and still more water was in there. I am currently just going to leave it unplugged for a bit and so it can dry out then try again. Might even take the actual box off and bring it inside so I can "move" it around and see if any water is actually inside the box. 

So thats the update. I'm hoping the water was completing a circuit causing the wedge to have all these errors. Maybe a free fix once it all dries out!?

Edited by kwebster1

Here is what I found inside the control box. That seems to be quite a bit of water to be in a computer. Hopefully there wasnt too much corrosion and its toasted. 

20160501_143239.jpg

While I realize I am having a full thread with a complete conversation with myself BUT on the off chance that someone has the same issue later....this will be available to them! 

Used forced air and blew everything dry, remounted it. Used the bypass fuse and the wedge came right up, put it back to its proper fuse holder, pushed the down arrow, wedge went down. Pushed up, got nothing. REad the manual again (I've only used the boat 3 times thus far so not fully aware of how it all functions yet) did determine you have to go over 2 mph for it to go back up. When the misses gets home Ill have her drive me around on the trailer so I can test it but I am happy to say at this point I do believe this problem has been solved! 

Edited by kwebster1

You are correct about the boat moving to put the power wedge up.  If the misses doesn't car to help, per Malibu, it is safe to trailer and launch the boat with the wedge down.  Also, if you ever have a issue with the wedge not going down and the actuators aren't running, there's a little black reset button on the power wedge fuse in the fuse box.  Make sure that little button is pushed in before you drive yourself even more crazy troubleshooting.  

Answering your earlier random question.  Your batteries should always be turned off at the selector switch when the boat is not in use.  being off should not cause any problems.

I had the same issue with my power wedge staying on even when the boats key was in the off position. I finally pulled the fuse and left the wedge down. I took it to get serviced(knowing it would cost an arm and a leg) which it did. My wedge actuators were both bad. Boat is a 2008 wakesetter. 

I did break down and take it to the dealer. They are thinking the same thing plus a new wedge control box. One of the seals on my actuator had completely blown out too. Good day to have warranty!