Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

How long do you guys think it will take for a manufacture to have a recessed gate on the side of the hull that is actuated?  Some one should hurry up and patent it 

ow long do you guys think it will take for a manufacture to have a recessed gate on the side of the hull that is actuated?  Some one should hurry up and patent it 

For the amount of work this would take vs. current surfgate .... my guess is a while.  Surfgate is a bolt on, a panel like that is a hull and mold redesign; and they're functionally the same thing and the only real downside of a surfgate is a loss of platform size.   

On 5/27/2016 at 11:57 AM, solorex said:
On 6/3/2016 at 7:14 PM, NCVride said:

If you weren't a fellow NC peep I would make fun of you!

I am getting really interested in this... some great prototypes here.  Is this worth the effort on a direct drive boat?  I am looking into surfing behind my tantrum but I don't have a ton of room for ballast sacs.  Will the surf gate alone be effective enough to get me surfing?

Make fun, I deserve it!!

On 5/27/2016 at 11:57 AM, solorex said:

On 5/27/2016 at 9:17 AM, Bill_AirJunky said:

I have a friend who showed up at a SkySki event with a 21 Moomba Outback DD..... but he was a wake surfer. I didn't think it would be possible to surf with that boat, but he proved it wrong. He only used maybe 800 lbs of ballast bags, one of which was a "cube" that weighed about 350 or 400 lbs. He would move that cube to either side depending on which side the surfer wanted it on. That boat really responded to a little weight shift like that. The wave wasn't huge, but it was plenty big enough & had a lot of push. He was easily surfing without the rope & doing 3s.

So it may be possible behind a Tantrum too. But be careful, will be easy to swamp it too.    :Doh:

No doubt... I can dip the back corner with a fully loaded boat (Passengers) if I am not careful... boat is so light it responds to little weight shifts.  Just wondering if the surf gate alone (without too much ballast) would be enough.  But it sounds like it isn't.

We have ran both the ramp and a suction based one. 

The only thing I noticed with the suction based one is being it's smaller diameter and more angle it actually lifts the side of the boat it is on. Has anyone else had this issue? 

20 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

You guys using 1/2" or 3/4" HDPE? Do you think the holes cut in the Delta are to reduce spray?

Chatty, granted I haven't re-made mine, but I am going with 3/4" because that's what I have on hand. I would think 1/2" would suffice.   I've wondered that about the holes on the delta as well. 

I've got my HoD and hdpe on the way from amazon!

Hurry and cancel the HoD and go with the aluminum one... I've tried both and the aluminum one is much much better.

2 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Hurry and cancel the HoD and go with the aluminum one... I've tried both and the aluminum one is much much better.

Link?

17 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Almost the same weight rating..... 200 lbs vs 190 - 220. Why is it better?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Much more rigid feeling, and the cups felt far more locked .... my HoD would slide like crazy, the aluminum is rock solid.

Anyone have experience with the Yellow (Woodstock) D3042 suction cup? That's what I'm using(pics above in thread), testing tomorrow.

Aluminum cups are an import here in Canada. ($$$$) I'll order if it's that much better. 

I posted these pics in another thread, but here they are again. Made my own "suckgate"....paddle 7" X 9" at 74 degrees>>>out of 1/2" UMHW. Got the HOD from Amazon and the UMHW from McmasterCarr.com. It was $38 for a 2ft X 3ft sheet of 1/2" black UHMW. Also ran 4 screws through the suction cups just in to help distribute the load off of the handle.IMG_0792.jpgIMG_0794.jpgIMG_0793.jpg

• Like 1

I made one. Pics to come. Testing tomorrow. I used pvc siding from Home Depot. Easy to cut and drill and the whole thing floats. 50 bucks is enough to make 3-4 of these things. 

Here's mine.

I used SBR's design.  Thanks SBR for the inspiration.

I used 3/4" HDPE, $13 .  Suction cups from Harbor Freight, $8.  9 inches tall.  The base is 7 inches and tapered to 6 inches.   80 degrees.  I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but I shaped the face of the gate to resemble the Delta.  I will try it out soon.

I plan on making some relief holes like the Delta.

8de4ce6d67ae42a2e0124250d9fb039e_zpsl4iz

394a25ed1483527628110cea1098ae2a_zpsft3v

c14c631e2dd8e9050f417291eeba79d6_zpskjbb

39ecd73850912d9d7e5eea0b77a875a5_zpsxkbh

bc5d96a0f943f3f38d2a05d7dc2639bd_zps16uh

1755416F-09BF-40D9-9DD0-87930AEF907E_zps

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle
  • Like 3

I have videos and pics but no laptop with me. It worked amazingly. It was my second time or third time trying to surf and I tossed the rope in the boat like it was nothing. 

And then the HOD handle started staying attached for less and less time :(. I think the harbor freight one is in the car and I will try that today. 

I was able to post a video but only in standard def (I only have 4g). Please excuse the geeking out like a nerd. I have really been struggling with surfing. 

Just checked and no harbor freight handle to try :( left it at home. 

you can see it detach here:

Edited by 95echelon
14 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

I have videos and pics but no laptop with me. It worked amazingly. It was my second time or third time trying to surf and I tossed the rope in the boat like it was nothing. 

And then the HOD handle started staying attached for less and less time :(. I think the harbor freight one is in the car and I will try that today. 

I was able to post a video but only in standard def (I only have 4g). Please excuse the geeking out like a nerd. I have really been struggling with surfing. 

Just checked and no harbor freight handle to try :( left it at home. 

you can see it detach here:

Wake looks great! watching the first vid reminds of this

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mikeyg said:

Wake looks great! watching the first vid reminds of this

Yeah I had a couple at that point. Just realize what it took to post that for "scientific posterity". 

Cool part is that I had about 500 on each side rear. 500 stock mls, and about 300 in the bow. Plus three kids and wife. So I thought the wave was good for not much ballast. 

9 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Please excuse the geeking out like a nerd. I have really been struggling with surfing. 

So awesome, man!  I just see a guy having great time on his boat.  I love it!