Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

Is the delta version's angle of attack as aggro as your homebrew version? 

I believe so.

.... Delta looks even more aggressive than this.  I'm at about 70*, the skateboard ramp is ~35*, the delta looks to be 90*(see below)

DELTA-Side.png?13708761288363797116

I think I'll make a new set of gussets to move the angle to something less severe .... but I think my suction cup issue will remain.  On our LSV below the jog in the hull, that lower piece of fiberglass has a slight ark and the cups are meant for a flat surface.

3 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Welp, no pictures of the wave since it didn't really work.  I tried for about 45 mins to get it to stay stuck to the boat with no luck.   I think the problem is my suction cups are too big for the LSV's hull.  The LSV has a curve to the lower section of the hull and I just don't think I cup gave enough to pickup that curve.... makes me wonder if the mission gate would work on this hull, their cups looked large too.

I have two smaller ones that came from a handle for old people to get out of the tub, but its shape is really hard to mount to anything cleanly.

Close to the same experience I had with my LSV.  I had slightly smaller suction cups that did barely stick to the lower hull surface - but it took a lot of push to get the initial seal before moving the lever.  I abandoned the concept and went with automatic surf gates using Lenco rams and martinarcher's control system.  Glad I tried the cups last Fall and had time to do the gate install over the Winter.

The delta guys said those suction cups are designed to work on un even surfaces and you can even suction over the Malibu metal logo. We'll see once I get mine tho 

So like I mentioned in another post, I wanted to give this the ole DIY try.  Results looked pretty good from the boat.  It was at the end of the day and we went out for a quick trial, really wish I would have thrown a board in to give it a try.

Details:

Harbor Freight double suction cup.  Plywood for now, 7" x 9".  All edges beveled to 45*.  Attached to the 2x4 at approx 74*

Attached to the suction cups with a couple of 3" deck screws.

573a0d5fcb992_echogate2.JPG.0901cdbb642b  573a0d225128b_echogate1.JPG.878cab7e6475

573a0e40cc852_echogate3.JPG.b568a3c8719d573a0e4928b0e_echogate4.JPG.2111b66ecfd2

Here is the wave.

750lb in both rears, 500 mid, 250 bow, few people in the boat for some additional ballast.  No wedge used.  12mph (per speedo, not GPS)

573a0edc69a6f_wave3.JPG.df18152525fb50eb

Additional voice activated ballast.  lol

As you can see behind dad there is a bit of a rooster tail being kicked up.  Hope to adjust the angle on the attachment of the gate, or figure something else out to cut down on the spray before a new spraygate controversy begins.   

573a0ed2c45d2_wave1.JPG.763d97dd14df4816

Edited by blk93jeepzj
additional information
  • Like 2

Here is another picture of the spray.  

573a1067f12c6_wave2.JPG.2aeb2e6a4a75165d

Can't wait to jump in next weekend and give it a try!

Edited by blk93jeepzj

It held for the time that I was testing.  

I only made the one and I did not adjust the angle of the board.  Plan to the next time I'm out.  On my 04  there is just enough of a curve on the white section of hull that I could not easily attach it there but would like to experiment around to see if it will depending on placement.  I attached it as far back and as low as could on the blue as seen on the boat in the photo.  (Not my boat.)

04bu.JPG.a93b4a8016105bae65e254d280d56bb

1 hour ago, blk93jeepzj said:

So like I mentioned in another post, I wanted to give this the ole DIY try.  Results looked pretty good from the boat.  It was at the end of the day and we went out for a quick trial, really wish I would have thrown a board in to give it a try.

Details:

Harbor Freight double suction cup.  Plywood for now, 7" x 9".  All edges beveled to 45*.  Attached to the 2x4 at approx 74*

573a0d5fcb992_echogate2.JPG.0901cdbb642b  573a0d225128b_echogate1.JPG.878cab7e6475

573a0e40cc852_echogate3.JPG.b568a3c8719d573a0e4928b0e_echogate4.JPG.2111b66ecfd2

Here is the wave.

750lb in both rears, 500 mid, 250 bow, few people in the boat for some additional ballast.  No wedge used.  12mph (per speedo, not GPS)

573a0edc69a6f_wave3.JPG.df18152525fb50eb

Additional voice activated ballast.  lol

As you can see behind dad there is a bit of a rooster tail being kicked up.  Hope to adjust the angle on the attachment of the gate, or figure something else out to cut down on the spray before a new spraygate controversy begins.   

573a0ed2c45d2_wave1.JPG.763d97dd14df4816

Alright @Michigan boarder I might try this before pulling the trigger on the mission product. What are you thinking?

Very creative and simple way to attach a wedge to the suction cup!  You definitely have an asymmetrical wake.  I tried to find cups that would adhere to the hull below the break line but did not.  This one is designed for curved surfaces but was just an inch too big.  Good luck with the project.

http://www.amazon.com/DAMO-C10-10-Inch-Concave-Suction/dp/B00840VQ0G?ie

26 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Alright @Michigan boarder I might try this before pulling the trigger on the mission product. What are you thinking?

I thought you already put your order in?

I've been watching these closely, looks very legit.  My little Echelon could benefit immensely from this or the velcro one, but I'm not sure how it will work with my chine, there's a step down spot in the hull.  So I might be best with a teakdeck mounted one.  I dunno.

I built one last week -

attachment.php?attachmentid=40908&stc=1&

.... failed miserably.

I made Mk2 Monday and tested it last night ...  works awesome.   I didn't bring my phone so I  don't have photos but Mk2 uses the HoD (Handle on Demand) from Amazon and my HDPE from Mk1.  The HoD works WAY better than two cheap Home Depot cups in the photo above.

... This was going on an 04' LSV Wakesetter .... when I tested I had ~1000 lbs rear (500 each locker), 250 lbs bow, the wedge down and just myself in the boat .... even with that little weight the wake was bigger and better than ANY listed wake setup I ever had.  My mid tank wasnt filled because the pump kept tripping the fuse - not sure why.  Hopefully tonight I can get out and snag some photos of the wave. 

Mk2 bill of materials:

1" HDPE - had it lying around

Cutting board for main blade of the suck-gate - $9

HoD suction cups - $8

Some ~4" Bolts + nuts to hold it together - $2.50

... I'm in a grand total of $20

Edited by sidekicknicholas
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I made Mk2 Monday and tested it last night ...  works awesome.   I didn't bring my phone so I  don't have photos but Mk2 uses the HoD (Handle on Demand) from Amazon and my HDPE from Mk1.  The HoD works WAY better than two cheap Home Depot cups in the photo above.

... This was going on an 04' LSV Wakesetter .... when I tested I had ~1000 lbs rear (500 each locker), 250 lbs bow, the wedge down and just myself in the boat .... with that weight the wake was bigger and better than ANY listed wake setup I ever had.  My mid tank wasnt filled because the pump kept tripping the fuse - not sure why.  Hopefully tonight I can get out and snag some photos of the wave. 

Mk2 bill of materials:

1" HDPE - had it lying around

Cutting board for main blade of the suck-gate - $9

HoD suction cups - $8

Some ~4" Bolts + nuts to hold it together - $2.50

... I'm in a grand total of $20

Can't wait to see the pics and a review!

Where did you attach it on the hull?  

My center ballast pump has a tendency to do the same thing after winter.  Pull the impeller cartridge out and spin the blade by hand to free it up.  Then flip the dash switch to see if it will work, before reassembly. 

Pull the impeller cartridge out and spin the blade by hand to free it up.  Then flip the dash switch to see if it will work, before reassembly. 

I had it working by the end of the night ... I just didn't realize it had tripped and the tank didn't fill until I started emptying things after I played with the gate.  Another 500 in the mid-ship should help and I only filled my rears about 50% (they're 1,100 lb bags).

Where did you attach it on the hull?  

As far towards the stern as I could and just below the "jog" in the hull ... so 95% of the panel was below the waterline if the boat was just sitting.  I have another slightly larger panel in the boat (larger) I might try out since it can be replaced quickly with four screws.... The cups held great though despite the curve/bow in the LSV hull.  I'm pretty pumped.

Just now, sidekicknicholas said:

As far towards the stern as I could and just below the "jog" in the hull ... so 95% of the panel was below the waterline if the boat was just sitting.  I have another slightly larger panel in the boat (larger) I might try out since it can be replaced quickly with four screws.... The cups held great though despite the curve/bow in the LSV hull.  I'm pretty pumped.

Yeah I had mine just above the jog in the hull and think that is what was causing all of the spray.  Below the jog is a bit of a pain to get the cups on mine to hold d/t the slight curvature.  But I will be trying it again.   

On 5/16/2016 at 1:15 PM, blk93jeepzj said:

Details:

I copied your design this evening. I through bolted using 1/4 x 4.5" carriage bolts. Didn't have a chance to bevel the edges, will probably just round them off with a sanding block. Made the blade roughly 7x9 with it tapering in about 1/2 inch towards the top.

Angle on the miter cut was 22.5 deg.

20160525_202318_zpstrbs8bkx.jpg

20160525_202325_zpsknbqzab7.jpg

Edited by chris4x4gill2
  • Like 1

From my own experience with my own diy gate the spray is caused from the water getting between the gate and the hull. I used some pipe insulation on the leading edge of my gate where it rests against the hull primarily to keep the gate from scuffing up the hull as it actually make contact with the aft corner of the hull like an OEM gate does.

Edited by wdr
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, wdr said:

From my own experience with my own diy gate the spray is caused from the water getting between the gate and the hull. I used some pipe insulation on the leading edge of my gate where it rests against the hull primarily to keep the gate from scuffing up the hull as it actually make contact with the aft corner of the hull like an OEM gate does.

Good insight. I was already thinking the same thing for scratching but I didn't realize that would help with the spray as well. 

Mk2 - worked great first time out, couldn't get it to stick the second time .... so not sure what the deal is.

yqje20G.jpg

Mk3 - I increased the paddle size to 10x12" and reduced the angle from ~67* down to about 45* .... this worked without ballast above the waterline, couldn't get it to stick below the water line.

Mk4 - in process, this will use an aluminum handle from Amazon, the stiffness of the cups and handle are much better ... also feels like it "grabs" much much tighter than the HoD handle.... hopefully can test sometime soonish, but this weekend might be too chaotic.

Edited by sidekicknicholas

I'm guessing the reason yours is not sticking consistently is your front paddle design. On the Delta and others the paddle is solid without the cutout and it extends much closer to the hull. Yours being open and further from the hull surface allows more water underneath and this force is too great for the suction cups to overcome. With the Delta style paddle there is a component of the force trying to push the suction cups towards the hull.

the reason yours is not sticking consistently

I'm saying it wasn't sticking at at all ... even before I tried to get up to speed I could pop it off by hand no problem... it was weird, first try worked great, no issues at all.  3 days later, just pure s***.

HOD Plastic - http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-HOD-DOUBLE-Handle-On-Demand/dp/B001PBQ9K8?ie=UTF8&keywords=suction%20cup%20handle&qid=1464286115&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Aluminum - http://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-Aluminum-suction-lifting-pulling/dp/B007VL3CB0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Does anyone know if putting the gate on the side of the hull is better vs the gate on the edge of the boat like Surf Gate?  What are differences if any?  

7 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I'm saying it wasn't sticking at at all ... even before I tried to get up to speed I could pop it off by hand no problem... it was weird, first try worked great, no issues at all.  3 days later, just pure s***.

HOD Plastic - http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-HOD-DOUBLE-Handle-On-Demand/dp/B001PBQ9K8?ie=UTF8&keywords=suction%20cup%20handle&qid=1464286115&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Aluminum - http://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-Aluminum-suction-lifting-pulling/dp/B007VL3CB0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Those cups are made for flat plate glass. Side of boat is curved. If you can find small enough cups to fit that are designed for curved auto windshields that may work. I could not find any.

On May 26, 2016 at 10:27 PM, wdr said:

May use some leftover ballast hose or clear rubber tubing wrapped around the edge of the gay against the boat similar to what wicked wake uses to protect the transom with their system.  I'll be adding some old ballast hose to mine tomorrow before I test. 

Edited by NCVride
  • Like 1